5.5 inch midrange driver or 2 inch dome midrange?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build a 3 way system but as observed almost all the cone drivers has breakup after 2khz no matter its nomex or reed or kevlar or even magnesium. I have seen dome midrange from 800hz to 4.2khz and there is no breakup in this region. So thought to use a dome midrange. Its even said that ATC dome midrange is supposed to be the best midrange in the world might be subjective but still its considered to be best...

so what do you suggest to use a cone midrange or dome midrange? my crossover freq for the 3 way driver is for 6.5 inch midbass driver 2 inch mid dome and 1 inch tweeter
its crossover freq is about to be at 800hz and 4200hz..

any suggestions on the generic configuration?

dont you think Scanspeak 10F has very little power of 15W RMS ? and long term max is 30w so its pretty sensitive for higher powers...

if its 15w then I would rather choose Fostex FE126en with cloth surround which will give much higher quality. It might be a good full range but the suspension will make hell lot of difference when it comes to resolution the more sensitive the suspension is the more easy for the subtle sounds hence gives much higher resolution. I think that is one reason why dome mid ranges deliver more resolution as the dome has that silk suspension.

but even the scanspeak discovery looks very interesting but the drawback looks like in the rubber suspension even though its low damping SBR rubber...

Nb4ZuC9.gif

Perhaps double 3" or 4"s? Twice the cone area - less distortion, more output, better vertical dispersion, still fast transients. I am using 2x3" Vifa NE95 (aluminium cone) serial coupled in MTM config and I can't complain. Full scale Statements do that 2x4" MTM too, and many others. The glassfiber cone SS 10F is perhaps the best measuring unit and is used by e.g. J Kreskowsky but many others than Jim Holz favour TangBand W4 which has aluminium cone and a phase plug. SS 10F is the most expensive one.

Last edited:
I fooled with 2" dome mids for a while (admittedly long ago) and concluded that they have little value unless one is building a 4-way. What worked best for me was a small mid-bass of 4-6" like the old Dynaudio mid-bass, or maybe a small Focal like you'd find in an MTM system. I think the crossover ends up in an unfortunate place with the 2" and it didn't seem to match up well with any serious woofer.

I fooled with 2" dome mids for a while (admittedly long ago) and concluded that they have little value unless one is building a 4-way. What worked best for me was a small mid-bass of 4-6" like the old Dynaudio mid-bass, or maybe a small Focal like you'd find in an MTM system. I think the crossover ends up in an unfortunate place with the 2" and it didn't seem to match up well with any serious woofer.

agreed on that behalf that matching the speed of the dome drivers is tough unless until it has to be really fast.. yeah domes do well at higher crossovers like 1.5khz and up and I would like to cross it at 2khz especially the 2 inch mid dome as there is no problem for the midbass driver doing till 2khz..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.