allegro 300 questions (allegro 3000 vs polk s10)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I currently have a pair of allegro 3000's ,and a pair of polk audio s10's. Both pairs of speakers are used in a matrix surround sound setup. I would like to know which pair would have a better sound to decide with should be in the front, and which should be in the back.

Additionally, ive heard that the individual components of crossovers used in speakers from the 70's did not allow the speakers themselves to work at there full potential. Would it be worth finding a new crossover's for the allegros?

thanks

James

Last edited:
There's scant reason to think the original crossover is valid. And then there are issues like basket ringing and panel resonance and diffraction and someone else could go on but I won't. I'm very disappointed in my Polk Monitor 10s. They seem to be a study in voice coil heating effects. And 2nd order crossover downside. Bass is good!

I listened to each pair of speakers carefully and eventually decided I like the Polk audios over the allegros, so they will stay as my fronts for now.

I took a look at the capacitor crossover, and its nothing but a 4 microfarad capacitor and an induction coil.

The allegros dont have any kinds of sound dampaning inside them either, so I should probably get something for that also. Will cleaning speaker terminals for the woofer and tweeter have a noticable affect?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
For 4 uF i would use 3.3 and 0.68 Film Caps in parallel - the look is not important.
May be you can find sth in you next local electronic parts shop.
May be you can get some Wima MKP Caps, or a similar Brand, for a few bucks (5-10 for all 4 caps together)
Cleaning contacts may be a good idea if they are somehow corroded.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.