Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Serial and Parallel drivers
Serial and Parallel drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2013, 02:07 PM   #11
tf1216 is offline tf1216  United States
diyAudio Member

Dissi is spot on. With 2 drivers wired in series one would have to double the input voltage to obtain the same wattage (as a single driver) to obtain the 3 dB increase in SPL. Statement (1), for a series configuration, is correct with doubling of the input voltage.
Old 31st May 2013, 08:44 PM   #12
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbellomo View Post
What I am really surprised at is no one commented on 4) and 5), which were guesses on my part, and really important with something like a line array. Suppose I have 16 drivers that individual start distorting enough to sound bad at 20 watts and explode at 40. Using my logic above, the line array should handle up to 320 watts.
Distortion is related to excursion.
It takes 6 dB additional power to double excursion.
Going from one to four speakers increases efficiency by 6 dB (when the speakers are within 1/4 wavelength), so harmonic and IM distortion is also reduced by 6 dB for the same output level.

Power handling is determined by the individual driver, the total power handling is simply the single x the driver total, 16 x 20 is 320 peak.

Recently made some small driver line arrays:

Dirty Dozen Line Array

The drivers are rated for 10 watts, 20 watts max.
They hit over 10% distortion at 10 watts when run near Fs (191 Hz), but actually can hold up to 40 watts sine wave for a few seconds without burning the voice coil.
Even though the dozen speakers could handle short peaks of around 1200 watts, more than 120 watts will make them sound pretty distorted.
That said, the efficiency has gone from 83 dB one watt one meter to around 93 dB one watt one meter, so only 1/10th the power is needed for the same level of sound as a single driver.

10 dB sounds twice as loud to your ears, so you could also say that the line has only half the distortion at the same SPL as a single, while playing twice as loud using the same power.

Art
Old 31st May 2013, 09:43 PM   #13
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbellomo View Post
I meant this as a theoretical question, 2 smaller woofers might or might not sound better than 1 large one, but that is outside the scope of what I wanted to ask.
ehh, ofcourse I meant 2 woofers in series against one woofer of same type and size
or the calculation/theory would not make any sense at all

like you say yourself, two small woofers vs one bigger woofer is a hole different matter
Old 18th March 2018, 11:38 AM   #14
Blitz is offline Blitz  Germany
diyAudio Member

I am using a line array with 12 Fountek Jp2.0 Ribbons, so fairly big guys with 6.5Ohm each.

Now, the big question is: Is there a difference in sound if for instance I choose to connect

- group four of them by connecting them in parallel first and than connect the three groups in series (equals 4.875 ohms)

vs.

- connect three of them in series and connect the resulting four groups in parallel (equals as well 4.875 ohms)

?

If all ribbons/individual system would be 100% the same, it should not matter I guess, but as in reality they are not and have tolerance, which setup would sound better ? Anyone tried ?
Old 18th March 2018, 01:09 PM   #15
bvbellomo is offline bvbellomo
diyAudio Member

It won't really matter. If you measure carefully, some will either be lower or higher impedance and some will either be lower or higher sensitivity, and you would want the most different drivers in series. But unless the manufacturer is wildly inconsistent, it won't matter.
Old 18th March 2018, 07:06 PM   #16
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

Say i have a 10" run wide open under a tweet (i do).

If i add another 10 under it and wire the 10's in series, will it be the same volume ?

That would lower excursion to offset bass boosting..........
Old 18th March 2018, 10:21 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

If drivers in series, I could be wrong, but I think they need to be within 1/4 wavelength to couple. So my dual 10's (that I run wide open up to 2khz) would not couple above say 300hz. Or under 300hz = normal volume but above could start dropping.

Am I right ?
Old 19th March 2018, 01:43 AM   #18
Robbintip is offline Robbintip  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Has anybody taken into account what connecting multiple drivers does with damping factor of amplifier?
Old 19th March 2018, 08:01 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I found this basically saying that the center to center distance, it couples below if that is 1/2 wavelength.

So a pair of 10" stacked (12" between centers, seperate boxes) would couple around 550hz and below.
If the drivers were wired in series, i'd see a droop above 500hz untill it catchs the tweeter.

Currently the b102 lines up perfectly for me with my morel.
So adding another woof in series would cause a depression in freq response.

Post #1
Mutual coupling question

From ev "when 2 speaker systems are placed side by side, the woofer cones "mutually couple" causing the 2 systems to act as 1 system with twice the effective cone area at very low frequencies giving an additional 3db increase in maximum acoustic output. Mutual coupling will occur when the frequency is such that the center to center distance between the woofer manifolds is less than 1/2 wavelength."

Serial and Parallel driversHide this!Advertise here!