DIY floor stander speaker advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did look at building the Ariel speakers, but I see the drivers are no longer available, which leads me to the next point

I presume you've been following the "beyond the ariel" thread. The general commentary is Not Good(tm) for building anything similar. There are some recommendations therein for similar drivers. But Lynn doesn't recommend anything (so keep hunting for NOS P13s)

OTOH
I'm quite enjoying some fostex FE108ES drivers (no cabinet yet) and they have some similar characteristics. Single driver might tickle your boat. (Or single driver crossed over to something at below 100hz and above 10khz)

I have a pair of Lowthers at the moment.

I quite like the look of the Statements, and plenty people seem to like them.

I see on the website they have the original plans, and also a smaller sealed box design. What effect does the sealed box have??

I see it says that with the replacement drivers a smaller enclosure can be used, is this why there is a smaller sealed box design??

Smaller box for the rpacement drivers is not that much smaller.

A sealed box gives a diffrent type of low end. I want to say a sealed box dosent go as low but the lows are tighter more controled. Imo

Keep in mind that the box maybe smaller but the tweeter has to be at ear level.

Read about the placement requrements. And the full size are huge!
My wife is a gem. But belive me they are huge! Big andy big!

But if you have the space, the room to place them AT Least 18 in from the wall, and have at least A good 30W amp you will not be dissapointed.

My freind and I have listened to allot of speakers. I will say if you like ribbon's clean clear mids and a W-I-D-E soundstage you will not find anything under 15K commercial.

If you can go listen to the new 22K sony speakers. We did. And we both think the statements sound a bit clearer and have 2X the soundstage.
We where wishing for as good as the sonys but, got allot better.

Sum up:
Better than my paradigm S-6 by allot
Better than buddies maggies
Better than paradigm S-8 by mem only.
I don't like BW or vandersein spelling?
I like proac's but they don't sound like them.
I love joseph audio speakers but these are better than the ones I heard.

Just my 2c.

Definitely thinking of building the full-size statements, I see the drawings show mdf for the cabinets. Is there any reason why I can't use birch ply, as I have easy access to this but not mdf. Will it affect the sound??

Yes it will. But howmuch I don't know.

I doubt very much. Some guys have done them using birch ply.
Did I say they are HUGE! Beware. And they need to breath. If you can do that they are awsome

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.