4-way active PA. Techno system! Build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New amp and new cases, these cases, separated, make it much easier for me to carry the stuff by myself.

qkkn.jpg

My plan is to build two more PAL12's whenever I get some free time, and this amp should havelenty of grunt to drive them (and also plenty of power to pop 15 amp breakers lol)

psvk.jpg

Last edited:
really impressive build!! the angled horns are a great touch. any more plans to debut the speakers at any other places in NYC? i'm local and haven't been to gallery bar but had i known about this thread a few weeks ago i would have loved to hear how they sound in person.. what's the approx sq-feet of the area you put these bad boys through their paces? curious how much power-to-space ratio you had to get them to sound so good.. i'm hoping to one day build a similar system with main emphasis on clarity & decent SQ (not necessarily ultimately high SPL)

Last edited:
Copied from my post in the subwoofer forum

Haven't posted here lately...hope there are a ton of new designs brewing!
I finally broke out my system this past weekend and got it somewhat "tuned"
This is the first time I've actually heard it all together at boogy volume....I was smiling...big time!

Lots more tuning needed. I didn't do any sub specific sweeps, and I didn't save any, but I will post some measurements of the subs working in conjunction....next time I have it together.

(No joke, my friends mom lived almost a mile from the testing place....she posted on the video my friend uploaded on Facebook and said she heard "wicked bass outside her house")

8tSluh.jpg

jWXnr6.jpg

OFzHNr.jpg

Amp power is qsc 4050 on the th18's and qsc 1450 on the PAL 12's
Plenty for both IMO

If you have spare cash at some point: trade the QSC rmx amps for a serious lightweight amplifier. I have tried my PAL12 (with Ciare 12.00SW) with the following amps:
- QSC PLX1602
- QSC PLX2402
- QSC PLX3002
- QSC PL236
- Chevin A750
- Lab.Gruppen LAB 1600
- NoName 8 channel (8x500w@ 8 ohm)
- Hypex BridgeAmp A750
The differences are absolutely ENORMOUS. So far I had the best results with the Lab 1600: the sound was so fast and deep, the cone control was amazing (the cone moves less, but when it moves it is much quicker back&forth, whilst more spl) and overall the SPL was higher. I am currently in the proces of testing the Hypex PSC2.400D. I have to optimize the DSP but so-far the results are very, very promising. It might as well be in the same league as the Lab.Gruppen.

In my experience, digital amplifiers with switchmode power supply are far superior then conventional amps, especially on sub/bass. Just my 2p :)

I have no idea, please explain.

What I was trying to say is that it looks like the amplifier has better control over the woofer. There is less cone travel for more actual sound pressure and the sound is cleaner and faster.
Ugggh, talking about music (or sound) is like dancing about architecture...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.