System Pictures & Description

and another

Attachments

• la4.jpg
    la4.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 6,009
The Really Simple Life

Hey all new here so I just wanted to show my simple system. These are not my first DIY's but they are the first that I put serious work into. I designed everthing down to the xovers with help form my uncle. Can't give you the specs cause I put away the notes on this build (didn't have a computer yet). They are 3 years old. They are tuned for 30 Hz and perform pretty solid at loud volumes for the cheap 8" drivers (I call these towers my "Bad Boys"). I want to replace these some time with some HiVi M8n drivers. The mids and teets are Phillips. I built my surrounds as well but I am skeptical to show these as I think I could have done better and they are tagged to be replace by some new DIY's (I'll think about posting them). The centre is the ever simplistic Polk Audio CS-101. It performs pretty well for what it is. All of this powered by A Pioneer VSX 515 K, Denon DCD 425 (about 6 years on this and still going) and a simple Panasonic s-27 (About a year and a half old got it as a present). The bottom shel is to hold a Carver "The Receiver" that I am going to use to power two DIY Subs I have on the drawing board.

Attachments

• my really simple rig.jpg
    my really simple rig.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 5,878
My first set of DIY speakers were made of pine boards from an old chest of drawers. The drivers came from a large floor model consol HiFi system. Both pieces of furniture were headed for the garbage. I sold the speakers a few days later to a neighborhood kid that I hung out with. I sold them for $80! My Mom went nuts when she learned that I used Dad’s circular saw, jig saw and sander! I was just twelve years old.

I made these ones in the past year or so:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.raindogindustrialarts.com/images/007BassReflex_jpg.jpg

Good Times...Shawn.

Attachments

• nearfieldmonitorsb.jpg
    nearfieldmonitorsb.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 3,651
Current Temp Setup.

Well there are no tube amp's in this picture, BUT they are full range speakers. It's a start for me. These are chrisb's Build & Planet 10's Layout.

Little about the system.

Im running 4 aleph mini's @ 15Watts Class A each. Only 2 are used, also a Sony Cd player then run into a passive volume pot with the Mini A's.

Some comments on the speakers. WOW what sound that comes out of these is amazing i need to get me a pair.. One thing i'm kinda still learning is that they are picky where they are placed. If i move my head a little i can hear the treble become less in that one spot so listening position is critical. I spent a few hours moving them around and playing a lot of different music. These speakers are really clear.. a little less bass than im used to but that is easy to over come.

pictures.

MUAHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHHA! Oak....WARMER SOUND! lol.

Wow, I really never noticed how small those speakers really are. Nice job guys. A local shop of mine is running some Totem Acoustic stuff, some sweet sounds coming out of those things.

I'd imagine your stuff has similar dynamics and transient response.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jason L's are the Frugel-Horn Mark 0 prototypes. Essentially a modified Buschhorn 1 with stock FE126e.

To give an idea of size... Jason's pics don't really here are our Mk 1 mules (alpha1.2.1 build). They are 1 cm wider, 2 cm taller (+ the supra baffle). Dave here is about 6 foot.

dave

Attachments

• davecan-wfha121.jpg
    davecan-wfha121.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 4,850