System Pictures & Description

dayton reference series

heres my TM. i used the 7" dayton reference woofer and the dayton silk dome tweeter crossed over at around 2500 in a 1.5 ft^3 vented enclosure tuned to 35 hz. i really enjoy them however my room isnt the best for acoustics. ive noticed that the bass responce is drastically affected by the room the speakers are placed in. i love the tweeters definatly the best bang for the buck ive ever heard. here they are.

Attachments

• diyaudio.jpg
    diyaudio.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 3,394
Glad to see I am not the only one who gets his drivers dusty in the build process. :clown:

Just curious, why that tweeter and not the RS or one of the SEAS (27TBFC/G or 27TDFC) for a little more money?

How sharp is your XO? You might consider crossing lower so that you'd hear less of the RS180's breakup modes. It's a good driver, but really needs some serious attenuation of the breakups over 4KHz. Maybe a 1500 Hz 3rd order or higher XO if your tweeter can take it (the others I mentioned can).

Intended as a constructive critique

thanks for the reply and the helpful words. when i started these i was 17 and finished them up a little while ago. now im 19 and have learned a good bit for future projects.

i wanted to use the rs180s because the had just come out and had the look i was going for and looked good in winisd. i had heard lots of good reviews of the DAYTON DC28F-8 1-1/8" SILK DOME TWEETER. i wasnt bold enough to try to mismatch brands. the crossover is a second order i built with parts from parts express im not sure if its exactly 2500hz... it was a while a go when i designed these. however it seemed to do the trick for the "break up" in the upper frequencies for the rs180. i also attenuated the tweeter a few db's. not really sure how much i just added resistors till it sounded right.

OK, that makes sense on the tweeter.

If your XO is 2500 Hz second order, that huge peak in the RS-180 response at 10 KHz is only down ~10 db - easily audible. I think you'd be surprised how much better they can sound even going down under 2000 Hz with a higher order crossover. PE even recommends down to 1800 for that tweeter.

You should build or buy yourself a measurement mike for further development. Speaker workshop www.audua.com is a free design/measurement program that you might find useful.

I was a lot older than 19 when I first had the nerve to design my own crossovers. Good job.

Materials

Hi,

They are made out of MDF. They are very thick and heavy. The front baffle is 2" thick.
I tried a veneer and ripped it off right before it dried. ( there were voids uinderneath and it was buckled ).
I ended up using high gloss black enamel. Looked very homemade with brush strokes and stuff. So I sanded the enamel with 600 grit sand paper and it looked kinda like a refinished piano. So I really sanded it smooth and then applied Urathane over the sanded enamel. When wet it looked like the finest Steinway, but as it dried it looked homemade with non-shiny patches and drips. I sweated the last coat of urethane and could not get it right. Then I read on a Piano refinisher's web site to use automotive rubbing compound.
I got the stuff and rubbed them down and they look awesome, like a black bolwing ball or piano everywhere. But my arm hurts!
I arrived at a great finish quite haphazrdly...

-Luke

Great finishing story, Luke. There isn't an easy way around elbow grease for a good finish like that. I've found Pianolac works really well - very black, buffs up to a great gloss, but rent a buffer if you don't own one. Manzerna polishing compound on a domet flannel wheel - amazing. Wish I had pictures that come close to doing it justice. (just a very satisfied customer with no connction to Pianolac)

Hey Bob,

We are turning up in the same spots! ( aleph x forum )

:)
Gosh, I wish I knew then what I know now!!! I should have got on here and asked about what to use first...

For whatever reason, I was never exposed to, nor was able to find info on finishing. So thanks for the product info, I may need it in the future. Pianolac will be easy to remember.

I guess you never know what lessons you will learn doing these projects, but I did not expect to have "existential" moments over rubbing compound!

And, I cannot get a good photo of the finish either...

Regards,

Luke

BTW

BTW:

When a coat of urethane was wet, I used a bench grinder to grind a tee-nut ( to mount a driver against the tweeter box ( needed a flat side to fit )). The spark shower was spraying at one of the wet cabs, and I didn't really notice.

A few coats of urethane later I realized there was an embedded sparkle and it looks really cool! Very subtle, but neat!

-Luke

Hey Phibes,

I got the ScanSpeak 9500 from Madisound, no problem at all. This was only about 3 months ago. They just don't have it a Partsexpress and have a note that it is discontinued. I checked on the Scan Speak web site, and there is no mention of it being discontinued...

http://www.tymphany.com/products.html

I was worried about the same thing. And thats the first thing I bought before I built the cabinets...

BTW: The 9500's are awesome.

-Luke

"Finish"

Hey Everyone,

I told you I am new to these forums!
A lot of people have been saying "Nice Finish"
( Which I appreciate BTW )
I thought everyone was talking about the actual paint and "finish"
But I am beginning to understand it means nice work finishing the project to completion.

I am learning!

Regards,

Luke