System Pictures & Description

I made this system because my wife and my mother-in-law didn't want to have some fridge-sized speakers in the livingroom and i refuse to buy 2019-sourround-design-speakas.

I made this pair from an old pair of Pioneer speakers with damaged cabinets that i bought on the flea market.

I added a 4 inch woofer i found and made a hornreflexsystem for them with a Karlson-like wide mouth.

Most of my materials i get from the scrapyard like the wooden plates or crossoverstuff from old speakers.
Here i used a sheet of flexible mdf to make the two dancing ladies.
Finally i casted a traktrixhorn-shaped waveguide for the tweeter from plaster.

It is a lot of experimenting and measuring that way, but the sound ist clear and horn-like fast.

So i'm ok with the sound and the ladies like the design.

Happy new year and saludos de Espana
Excellent work

Horns

My system - in constant evolution since 20 years:

All horn-loaded (except the subs):

Peavey FH-1 bass horns with Klipsch K33 woofers (probably Eminence Kappa 15C in the near future)
EV SM120A mid horns with John Allen A55G drivers
Beyma CP25 tweeters

Focal / JM Lab SW900 Electra + SW38A active subs

Active crossover - analogue - 400Hz/24dB; soon is gonna be 60Hz 24dB as well
Passive 2nd order between mid and tweeter

global sensitivity 104dB/w

Fully modded Yamaha CX-1 preamplifier (all capacitors upgraded; all values <10uF lytics replaced with Wima MKS2)

Low power mini class D amps

Revox B226 used as drive; SMSL SU-8 DAC; VanDenHul integration ICs and QED speaker cables

Attachments

• IMG_2258.jpg
    IMG_2258.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 1,674
Last edited:
:D?forgot the pic..:D
When building the speaker cloth frame I wondered how to attach it effectively and easy, I read about 3d printers and saw they used magnetic ball joints, I figured that four ball joints would work, and it did it connects strong, might be an idea for other builders.
See pics

Attachments

• KuulJaMagnet1000x1000.jpg
    KuulJaMagnet1000x1000.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 1,289
  • image-5.jpeg
    image-5.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 419
After much planning, my system is now a 5.1. The source is a media PC with an Asus Xonar DG in. I have a TV, but I also have a big screen I can hang for a projector. That screen is about 3m diameter. My music system is packed away until my sound room is ready.

The front and surround speakers are built on Focal RSE-165 (car speakers), and the center is a 4" coaxial car speaker (MTX, quality is good enough). My woofer is an old 8" DVC which has about 50W per voice coil. The woofer isn't much to talk about, but it's surprisingly good when listening.

Surrounds on stands is temporary.

As for the amplifiers, it's a 4-channel, and a stereo amplifier for the center, both my own designs, about 65W for the 4-channel, and something like 100W on the center (way more than enough there).

I need better photos...

Attachments

• RSE-165.jpg
    RSE-165.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 1,688
  • Pine.jpg
    Pine.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 1,635
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 1,606
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 371
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 359
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks.
Well the balls center perfect in the magnet, no wiggle side to side, and ball is threaded, easy to fit.

Properly aligned Neo magnets do the same (one buried under the veneer, the other imbedded in the grill frame), it is erie when you put the grill near and it snaps into place, but can be made to be completly invisible when the grill is removed.

dave