System Pictures & Description

Wow MiWi!!!

I didn't realize how darn big those horns were! DIY huh? I'm thoroughly impressed. I have a great audio ear, but not even a smidget of DIY capability when it comes to building amps, preamps, or horns such as yours. I wished I lived near you as I'd love to hear a system such as yours!

Congratulations on building such a wonderful looking (and I'm sure wonderful sounding as well) audio system and speakers! You're a very talented person.

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

The speakers indeed look quite small with the pictures of the whole room.
I guess this is because the ceiling is quite high. (sloping from 8ft to 17ft high)
The midbasshorns are nearly 4ft wide, 3ft high and more than 4ft deep.
The midhorns are 28" wide and 22"high (hornmouth).

Their size is one reason why I hesitate with the subbasshorns

I really love the look of spiral horns (like John built them for example).
And they would fit really nice under the sloping ceiling, making for a giant hornmouth-extention.

But I´m not sure if the looks will be to much with 2 spiralhorns.
The midbass/midhorns are quite prominent with their kind of "space-age" look and their size.
As the tappedhorns hide quite well and are nearly invisble, the focus is on the main speakers, which keeps a good balance I think.

Right tappedhorn, hidden in the other room and just "firing" into the living-room.
16525699659_353f494dfe_o.jpg

Left tappedhorn, pretending to be some kind of bench.
16089503734_ab98f019b4_o.jpg

Last edited:
Living room and kitchen-area are one space (can be seen on the last picture on the right side).

The whole room is about 32ft wide (about 22 where the speakers are) and 26ft deep.
All the walls are drywall (1" wood + 1/2" gypsum cardboard), which means the whole room is a panel bass absorber.
I got really little problems with bass-peaks, the reverberation time underneath 300Hz is really good. The hole for the stairs also helps with this.
I designed the house (and built most part of it).
First of all it is a livingroom and I wanted it to look good / feel good. I just tried to get a good compromise for the music as well and aimed for a roomgeometry which will give little problems with bass.

Mid high reverberation could be improved.
But it is by not as bad as most people would think from the pictures. The speakers are beaming strong and the walls are quite far away.
There are acustic absorber hidden behind the pictures, but I´m planning to get more.
I placed an order for two big new pictures printed on acustic-cloth (each 4ft x 6ft), which I will wrap around 4" thick absorbers. They will be placed on the right side where the white picture is now.
The curtain on the window on the left will be replaced with slideable acoustic panels. (4 panels 2ft x 5ft)
(symmetry left/right is important, tested some different arrangements to find out about the influence)

The speakers are are not aligned parallel to the back wall intentionally. They are angled to get nearly the same delay for the first reflections on the listening spot.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
my latest design..
Closed box, 26w8534 in 80l circa, 15m4624 and the sb 29-rdc.
they need some more power, but what a terrific bass.
the 29rdc is actually a really nice unit, it's the first time i used it but certainly not the last one..
external crossover because it's easier to adjust and nice to look at.

Attachments

• Baltika5.jpg
    Baltika5.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 556
  • Baltika1.jpg
    Baltika1.jpg
    884.1 KB · Views: 677
  • Baltika3.jpg
    Baltika3.jpg
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 598
old and new

my system is using older gear, McIntosh units built in the 80's and heathkit speakers built in the 70's. I like the musical organic sound it produces.

1)MX130 preamp
2) MVP881BR disc player
3) MC500 amp
4) schitt DAC
5) Heathkit AS-1348 speakers
6) proac responce D18 speakers
7) chord carnival silver screen cables

cheers!

Attachments

• 20150509_070120.jpg
    20150509_070120.jpg
    987.3 KB · Views: 617
  • 20140222_163104.jpg
    20140222_163104.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 579
  • 20140215_180929_LLS.jpg
    20140215_180929_LLS.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 690
Something a little diferent

Been thinking out of the 'box' for a while and decided to use some KEGS to create a couple of stereo sets.

First set using a couple of fostex FF-105WK running fullrange

Second set using KEF R100 drivers, with a homemade chipamp+ valve buffer!

Attachments

• IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 621
  • WP_000642.jpg
    WP_000642.jpg
    696 KB · Views: 2,788
  • IMAG0177.jpg
    IMAG0177.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 367
Nice photo ( of the job done ) In the first pic the speakers become semi-transparent :eek:

Eh eh, it's because I have no way to take a good picture in my home.
They are not transparent, they just mirror what is around them because I'm using a long time exposure. Using the right time they were totally black... I mean a deep black shape: the ambient light was too strong.