System Pictures & Description

A view of my design. I don't have very good woodworking skills, but it's the sound that matters...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

SEAS L22 RNX/P, Morel EM1308, SEAS 22TAF/G
X/O 850hz LR4, 4Khz LR2
Box is closed and hands over to a Peerless 12" XXLS active sub around 60hz

Attached to these are...
Lin Karik CD player
Naim 72/250 amplifier
Naim NAC A5 cable

All very old but still capable :)

I was going to use M5 hex head bolts for the front, but I got lazy... Any better suggestions welcome :)

The mid has exceptionally clean sounding pianos and acoustic guitars. Bags of detail but with smooth vocals and strings. The tweeter is a beauty - very natural sounding with no hint of fizz, tizz, metallic sounds or anything else - they disappear.

Interestingly I've seen another design using the similar MDM55 and 22TAF/G. That uses a LR4 at 4k. I tried that. The sound had some merits but didn't gel like the LR2 does.

I'd say the bass units are pretty good but I have room problems in the bass. Regardless of what speakers I have, or where they are in the room, there's a massive narrow dip at 60hz with a little lightness above and below. On the other hand 30hz is very strong. Other than moving house I don't see a cure ;)

Well from your description of the sound it seems like you hit a combination that works just right for your room, equipment and ears! I've seen people spend a lot more $$$$$ and not be as happy with the sound of their system as you seem to be! Sounds like a sonic marriage made in heaven. I'm very happy for you. Keep enjoying those speakers. Oh yeah one last thing before I go... what type of music do you listen to and at approximately what SPLs do you usually listen at?

I'm listening to: Jump In The Water by Jump In The Water

Thetubeguy1954

Ordinary 2 way DIY box

Hi everybody,

this 2 way classic speaker was built by a good friend of mine
for his friend and my job was the engineering part. Artificial
leather glued on mdf, side panels painted with primer and paint
from spray can.

Vb= 18 litres
Fb= 36 Hz
Sensitivity:83 dB/2,83 V/1m
XO frequency: 2,7 kHz
Filter: LR4 acoustic
Bassmid: Peerless 830 874 PPB
Tweeter: Scan Speak D2606 920 000

We were both stunned by the amount and quality of bass output
from such an ordinary speaker unit. Voiced to sound transparent.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Peerless ScanSpeak.JPG
    Peerless ScanSpeak.JPG
    565.4 KB · Views: 5,037
Lojzek, the efficiency is low but the speakers look very good.

You are absolutely right. The sensitivity on "infinite" baffle Peerless
company published is one thing and putting the speaker in a box, making
a filter for playing in free space with a healthy amount of stuffing for
killing standing waves inside, is a different story.

Some designers would find a different filter solution to be more appropriate
(no filter at all on bass for example) and then the tweeter level could be
elevated too so the sensitivity measured in XO region would be 4 or 5 dB
higher for better looking specs.

Thanks to both of you guys!

Last edited:
View attachment 428969
These are my latest build, The 442s
They use all Dayton speakers. It's a 3.5 way using 2 RS270S-8's, an AMTPRO4, and a AMTmini.
Project 442 Photos by 6thplanet | Photobucket

WOW! Those look very, very nice! How do they sound? Do the AMT drivers blend well with the two cones? What about the sensitivity differences between the 88dB AMT Mini and the 94dB AMT Pro drivers? Where did you settle at between the two differences?

I'm listening to: Voyage by Youn Sun Nah

Thetubeguy1954

They placed 2nd out of 11 entries at this years MWAF, so yea they sound pretty good. ;)
Once you deal with the rising response of the AMTPRO it rolls off naturally around 10k, the mini is being used as a "super" tweeter, which I still had to pad down a bit. I'm really happy with them, they easily pull double duty in my HT set up, no sub needed.

They placed 2nd out of 11 entries at this years MWAF, so yea they sound pretty good. ;)
Once you deal with the rising response of the AMTPRO it rolls off naturally around 10k, the mini is being used as a "super" tweeter, which I still had to pad down a bit. I'm really happy with them, they easily pull double duty in my HT set up, no sub needed.

Congrats on winning 2nd place! I'm confused are you telling me you had to pad down the 88dB AMT Mini to blend in with the 94dB AMT Pro? If so why? I'd love to hear these. Too bad you don't live near Orlando, FL!

I'm listening to: Tarantella by Lars Danielsson

Thetubeguy1954

442 schematic.jpg
As you can see I have some padding going on before and after on the PRO as well as a series inductor to tame the top end rise of the PRO. That leaves the mini a bit more efficient in its passband, thus needing some padding of its own. If you look at the FR response graph in my Photobucket pics of the build, you'll have to disreguard the top end roll off, thats a funtion of not having a calibrated mic. My ear is the final "mic" that tells me how much top end is needed. ;)

View attachment 429003
As you can see I have some padding going on before and after on the PRO as well as a series inductor to tame the top end rise of the PRO. That leaves the mini a bit more efficient in its passband, thus needing some padding of its own. If you look at the FR response graph in my Photobucket pics of the build, you'll have to disreguard the top end roll off, thats a funtion of not having a calibrated mic. My ear is the final "mic" that tells me how much top end is needed. ;)

Thanks 6th now I understand what's happening and why. I'm happy that you're allowing your ear, and not a microphone to be the final arbitrator on what sounds correct to you. Now that tells me you're a true audiophile!

I'm listening to: Yours by Sara Gazarek

Thetubeguy1954