System Pictures & Description

My first build..ever

My first build, went cheap and built them out of bamboo flooring..lots and lots of glue!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 2,618
First ever build

What drivers in those?

dave

Hi Dave,

My buddy had some Ascend Seirra-1 drivers and crossovers left over from upgrading his book shelfs to the new folded ribbon and driver that he gave me the left overs for free! I actually built these on the cheap:

Acoustic-stuff- $14
Bamboo flooring $25 (clearance at lowes)
Rattle cans of black and Clear Lacquer- $25
Spike feet- $20
Air tubes- $5
Binding posts $10
Glue and caulk and bondo- free

I'm blown away on how well they sound. This was my first ever attempt at this and I'm hooked! Thinking of building a Sub woofer next.

-Tom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 2,511
I finally finished the first two speakers on a project I started a decade ago that was interrupted by life. These are tri-amped boxes with Vifa M26WO-06-08, M10MD-39-08 and D27TG-35-06. Amps are DIY 100+50+50W (BJT discrete+2xLM3886) per channel, crossovers are DCX2496.

Box is 100L sealed with about 1kg stuffing (probably too much by the sound), sims say F3 of about 39Hz with Q of about 0.6 but the microphone is still in the post so I haven't measured yet.

12498433744_6507fc3780_z.jpg

12518295304_852702aa6e_z.jpg

Try to ignore the toddler-entertainment gear.

This is the sort of thing I had to contend with while building; meet Horace:
12517937853_803bf84752_n.jpg

An 8-pole Neutrik would go here if we'd just stop chomping cable:
12517823505_60affba256_n.jpg

Hello here is my 3 pair of speakers iv built over the last 2 1/2 years. All walnut, mdf inside. The big ones 38 kilos of weight.

Wow similar to my next floorstanders! Am currently building 20 litre bookshelf's from Seas U18RNX/P woofers and 27TBFC/G tweeters and this is the first time iv'e seen someone use these drivers together. The bass much be incredible because these pack a punch! Thanks for sharing!

My latest experiment is a speaker based on ESS Heil tweeter, original old passive crossover and a cheap Eminence woofer, treated with Dammar varnish, while I get the money to buy Acoustic Ellegance's TD15H, which I imagine, is a perfect match. Any opinions about this topic are welcome.

The player is a SD card reader connected to -ECdesings-' M1 DAC. Volume is set with a variable I/V resistor and DAC is connected directly to the VSSA amp from Lazy Cat.

I must say that the Heil tweeter is the best I've heard for classical music.

I hope you like it. I do.
M.

Attachments

• HEIL.jpg
    HEIL.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 2,343
  • HEIL3.jpg
    HEIL3.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 2,305
Hi dear Felixx,

Thanks for your interest and nice words.
The Autographs make you forget and relax, with the coherent and proverbial "wall of sound". The weak point, compared to the Heils are the "air" and naturalness to the highs, especially on strings, which are the most challenging of instruments (I listen to good violins daily). Being a dipole surely helps. The Heils are very detailed but in a relaxed way.

The strong point compared to the Heil/Eminence is obviously the bass/midbass, which is fast and ample with the Autographs, compared to fat and slow with the present setup. I imagine that a good midwoofer plus big passives, as ESS designed, will improve this.

I have to try later an active crossover and see if coherence improves.

Best wishes,
M.

PS: my tonearm is very good. A pity that apparently it did not arose interest in replicating it. There are still lots of old pernambuco bows out there...

Sonido SFR 200 plus SCW400

Fostex now replaced by Foutek cd3.

Wow Saw! Those are absolutely gorgeous speakers. Outstanding craftsmanship on those cabinets. Did you make them yourself? If so, how long did it take?

I'm listening to: Off The Beaten Path by Dotsero

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Last edited: