System Pictures & Description

My pride and joys- my 2 systems.
Its sorta messy but oh well you get the idea...
First is my home audio- delicate, detailed, audiophile, TV system. Van Alstine preamp, pioneer tape deck with digital noise reduction, arcam alpha 5 tuner, sony 510 minidisc, Adcom GFA2535 amp, panasonic VCR, go video DVD player. Magnepan MGIII speakers, DIY sub.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Next is my party system- PA system, DJ system. Loud, very punchy, alot of watts.

Spirit by soundcraft mixer, Ashly XR2001 crossover, Crown Macro-Tech 5000VZ amp, Cinepro 600x2 (my former home stereo amp- actually its a rebadged AB international amp), 2 Electro-Voice Sb180 18" subs, 2 EV Eliminator tops, 1 Cerwin Vega 18" sub. Not pictured, 2 Pioneer CDJ100S DJ mixers.

:cool:

Hy Nielsio

<What's the XO between the ~Eminence and the tweeter?

The XO is about 1500 Hz. But the eminence is playing without any frequency restriction.

<Does the ~Eminence have a tweeter-cone? / Do you know <anything about the frequency-respons of this driver?

No, the eminence have no tweeter-cone. If you want to see the frequency respons of the driver look at www.bastanis.de under prometheus test.

<s the tweeter open-baffle or closed?

The tweeter is closed.

<'m asking these questions because I find it an interesting config, <ut it might also be wise to put some sound-damping on the wall <ehind the speakers, in the case that mid/high-frequencies are <lso backfired.

Oh, you are right. I damped the left and right parts in the lower corners and so i reduced an over-frequency at 2 kHz in my room.
Mr. Bastani recomments little pads in the corners at 8 cm from the corner. The picture was made first of damping. For increasing the mass i used bituminous plates before damping.

<I also see an Audionet SAM amplifier, which confuses me in the <sense that it's way overpowered for your system. More suitable <options that come to mind: low powered triode, non-inverted <chipamp or buffered inverted chipamp (DIY or commercial).

Here you are also right. I hear musik since 15 jears, and i had many many speakers at home, i spended a lot of money, and my last speakers worked verry good with Audionet SAM. Than i heard the prometheus system and i quckly sold my old verry expensive speakers and buyed the prometheus system. Now i`m looking for a good Tube ampl. but its not so easy to find one which is as good or better than the SAM without spending a lot of money. I can only recomment everyone if you have the chance to test Prometheus system, do it. You will be enthused. For further questions please contact Mr. Bastani, he can give you more detailed information about his system. I know that my search for a speaker system with high dynamic without anny contorsion now has an end !

Regards Dommi

eRiCdWoNg said:
My pride and joys- my 2 systems.
Its sorta messy but oh well you get the idea...
First is my home audio- delicate, detailed, audiophile, TV system. Van Alstine preamp, pioneer tape deck with digital noise reduction, arcam alpha 5 tuner, sony 510 minidisc, Adcom GFA2535 amp, panasonic VCR, go video DVD player. Magnepan MGIII speakers, DIY sub.

Next is my party system- PA system, DJ system. Loud, very punchy, alot of watts.

Spirit by soundcraft mixer, Ashly XR2001 crossover, Crown Macro-Tech 5000VZ amp, Cinepro 600x2 (my former home stereo amp- actually its a rebadged AB international amp), 2 Electro-Voice Sb180 18" subs, 2 EV Eliminator tops, 1 Cerwin Vega 18" sub. Not pictured, 2 Pioneer CDJ100S DJ mixers.

:cool:

Smaller pictures if you will.

The XO is about 1500 Hz. But the eminence is playing without any frequency restriction.
&
No, the eminence have no tweeter-cone.
&
The tweeter is closed.

Ok, that's more insightfull. Sounds like a solid system. I also expect it to sound quite similar to mine (see page 4 of this thread).

<'m asking these questions because I find it an interesting config, <ut it might also be wise to put some sound-damping on the wall <ehind the speakers, in the case that mid/high-frequencies are <lso backfired.

Since the (wideband) tweeter is closed, this is far less of an issue.

Now I'm looking for a good Tube ampl. but its not so easy to find one which is as good or better than the SAM without spending a lot of money.

I can highly recommend the same amplifier I am using: Joe Rasmussen's JLTi (commercial tube-buffered chipamp). In my experience, it sounds as good as the 47 Labs amp-gear and the price is excellent.

See
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9557
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~joeras/

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nielsio said:
The issue is that most people use 1024 x 768 as screen resolution (I use 1152 x 864), so the 1280 x 960 are far too large to fit and get a good overall view

1152x864 -- you must be on a Mac :^)

A large number of people will have even smaller screens 800x600 and in some cases 640x480. I run 3200x1200 and i find them inconvieniently large.

dave

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm pretty sure the Bastani Tweeter is a Beyma.
I believe that the speaker was mentioned in a detailed magazine article, which would give more detail. The woofer is Eminence but what model I don't know. Eminence will make up any woofer you want, but I suspect it is at least based on an existing model.
How big is diameter is the voice coil? (based on the center cap diameter) What is the diameter and thickness of the magnet?

My turn to join in.... Speakers are DIY, Peerless and B&G planars. Source is Arcam 8SE as a transport feeding a modified ART DI/O. Pre amp is a passive transformer TX-102 from Bent Audio. Active crossover is a modified XM9 three way from Marchand, Amplifiers are two Marchand MB201 for the low and midbass and two Halo SPM25 tube amps fpr the highs. XO frequencies are 50Hz and 1000Hz. I'm in the process of building 4 subs using 4 Peerless XLS 12" and 4 passive radiators.

Attachments

• dscn0115b.jpg
    dscn0115b.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 13,652
tomahack said:
My turn to join in.... Speakers are DIY, Peerless and B&G planars. Source is Arcam 8SE as a transport feeding a modified ART DI/O. Pre amp is a passive transformer TX-102 from Bent Audio. Active crossover is a modified XM9 three way from Marchand, Amplifiers are two Marchand MB201 for the low and midbass and two Halo SPM25 tube amps fpr the highs. XO frequencies are 50Hz and 1000Hz. I'm in the process of building 4 subs using 4 Peerless XLS 12" and 4 passive radiators.

Awesome.

What's the efficiency?

@ Variac

I'm pretty sure the Bastani Tweeter is a Beyma.

You're right

<The woofer is Eminence but what model I don't know. Eminence will make up any woofer you want, but I suspect it is at least based on an existing model.
How big is diameter is the voice coil? (based on the center cap diameter) What is the diameter and thickness of the magnet?
[/QUOTE]
<

I don`t can answer your question about the magnet, because i closed the rear part of my speakers with fabric ( ?? or stuff ?? )
The diameter of the membrane is about 8,85 inch. Without the pleated ( ?? is this right ? ) part.
It's an Eminence driver, but Mr. Bastani imbuse it with some
" VOOOODOO " Oil, and i don't know if Eminence manufactured it according his wishes.

BR
Dommi