System Pictures & Description

Here is a frequency and phase plot for them.

Here are the finished loudspeakers. Finished with Dayton vinyl laminate. Worked out pretty good. Listening to them now, loud, to loosen up the woofers. They sound great to me. Very "live". Hopefully soon I can plot a response curve. That will have to wait until I get back from vacation in 3 weeks.

Attachments

• BRT1095.jpg
    BRT1095.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 4,114
A high end 2-way with SS drivers and a Sonus Faber Extrema 2nd order type acoustic xover. Cabs are 15L PE and closely resemble Polk's. Measured bass extension (vent included) is down below 30 hz. with a vented alignment. Off-axis response is also excellent.

The design objective was a no compromise pair of stand mounted mini-monitors to play in a relatively small listening room. Music most suited for these is high quality recordings of relatively small acoustic groups, singer/songwriters, string quartets, etc.. They are not rock speakers for sure! :)

PM me for design details...

Wow, looks really nice! Good job.

I finally got the top for the subwoofer finished! I cut the birch ply so that I had a nice veneer book match, then I cut it in half the other way and put it back together to get the 4 way match. There are flaws in other parts of the project, but overall I think it's pretty good. I use 3 coats Hope's Tung Oil Varnish, rubbed in with #0000 steel wool after sanding with 400 grit. Very soon after the oil is rubbed in, I wipe off the excess with a clean paper towel. The last step is to wax it with a good carnuba wax (I have some boat wax lying around).

Attachments

• L1020132 - sm.JPG
    L1020132 - sm.JPG
    532.1 KB · Views: 3,582
  • L1020133 - sm.JPG
    L1020133 - sm.JPG
    455.5 KB · Views: 3,345
Old out and new coming ?!

Tnx all for many interesting articles. About to build something new instead of these 6 years old 3 way construction. 35 liters of great sound, increadible stable bass all the way down to the basement, lovely mid and treble but....... Could be a little bit more open on the top, and could handle loud volumes a little bit better. Need another design than this heavy oak finish. Thiel&Partners C220, C90, C25 + 8 kg of crossover materials. Any suggestions forsomething of the same sound and size - preferably cheaper?
IMG_2239.JPG

IMG_2241.JPG

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hello everyoane. In the link below you will see my latest work. In is a center chanel using Vifa speakers. Be aware, it is a translation using google translate :).

Google Translate

Superb I like your construction methods. If you want to get a better idea of the bass room response you could take many measurments in posible listening positions and avrage them. I do this for bass EQ and it works well.

My First DIY

Hey guys.

After browsing these forums and others for quite some time, my DIY itch finally had to be scratched. I've been in the audiophile game for a bit and had everything from standmount monitors to very pricey floor-standers, but nothing I've made with my own hands.

The design I chose was the MJK Open Baffles, with the Eminence Alpha-15A and the Fostex Fe-103en.

I live in a one-bedroom apartment on the 16th floor of my building, and all of the work was done in my living room/dining area (much to the displeasure of my girlfriend). The baffles are 3/4inch birch finish plywood, with birch edge banding. The "feet" are red oak. The loudspeakers were finished with a little stain and satin poly for protection. The little "accent" pieces near the base were actually the result of an accidental drill-through of the baffle when mounting the shelf-brackets on the back. They actually turned out to look "original".

The crossovers are housed in a hammond enclosure mounted on the back of the baffle; they are damped with non-conductive foam to minimize vibration. I've used 10-guage wired for all of the internals and driver hook-ups.

The initial sound was actually very bad. The FE-103 can be a challenge, and the bass was a bit shy. I applied some EQ to the setup and now I'm very pleased! The drivers took a little while to settle in and play nice, but the overall tonality is now very smooth and colorless.

I learned a lot of lessons, made a lot of mistakes, but I'm very eager to jump into another project! Thanks for looking!

-Evan

IMG_20111208_084340.jpg

IMG_20111208_084328.jpg

A small(er) 2 way speaker.

attachment.php

Not yet final coated (still out on what finish to use) and cabling to integrate in the stands and replace speaker screws with black ones.

Tapered box with curved side walls. Bassreflex tuned at approx 40hz, vent on on the bottom. Tuning is low with a result that the response is dropping a few dB towards f3 with some room gain in mind to compensate that.

Seas 18cm Excel midwoofer and Visaton ceramic tweeter. Xover at around 2.2Khz.

Currently an active setup with Hypex AS2.100 DSP plate amp. But some time in the future a passive crossover will be created.

I choose a big diameter port to avoid any vent noise. Big diameter resulted in a long port which led to a small resonance at 1,2 Khz. I damped that within the DSP. Maybe I replace the port with a smaller diameter/shorter one so the resonance raises up above the cross-over freq. I don't play that load that vent noise will be an issue.

More then pleased with the result, it digests all kinds of music equally well wether it is jazz, big band, classic, vocals, etc etc.

Attachments

• JMG-I-Monitor.jpg
    JMG-I-Monitor.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 4,174