System Pictures & Description

This is my first attempt into the diy thing. I had upgraded speakers until I had what was my dream speakers (in my price range), a pair of Paradigm Studio 100 v.2.

When I saw an ad for a pair of Eton 11-581 woofers locally I snapped them up, started researching and ended up here.

They are 3 ways, with the Etons, scanspeak 18w/8545 mids, and morel mdt33 tweets. They are active with a Rane AC23 crossover and a 6 channel B&K amplifier. It is a relatively modest system but blows away the Paradigms in almost all respects. Both cabinets are reclaimed, the woofers are in a customized set of cabinets I bought locally, 50 years old and the mids/tweets are in an old pair of monitor audio cabinets I also bought locally with blown drivers.

I have in the works a new set of bass cabinets, and new uppers will be next.

Thanks everyone for all the inspiration and knowledge!

the pics

The actual pics :)

Attachments

• DSC01520.JPG
    DSC01520.JPG
    544.3 KB · Views: 4,291
  • DSC01521.JPG
    DSC01521.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 4,070
  • DSC01522.JPG
    DSC01522.JPG
    304.1 KB · Views: 3,972
Well i moved into my new ( house ) temporary for 1 year ish, more room more space and now time to finish the audio projects.

Mini a's need new chassis, 2 chassis will house 2 amplifiers, because i bi-amp. Will start and finnish the B1 pre-amp that i have been collecting parts for, witch i have all the parts for now.

MIGHT start another speaker project. with the 2Gsi tweeters i now own.

Pictures as of now, my favorite yamaha amplifier that i have had for 14 years my first amplifier that i fixed with out blowing up :) still reliable and great sound. Some day ill give it a overhaul.!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Making of my Scandinavian design monster

Hi

Here you go! Some pictures of machining and building the speaker. Definitely not the easiest way to build your first project but some people always have to learn it the hard way.

If you absolutely want to try this at home / workshop don´t use rods for assembly! They´ll screw up the glueing and prevent natural cabinet shrinking when moisture decreases. Instead build a good jig and you´ll avoid most problems I encountered. Second thing to do is to make a specialized HDF sheet with holes to pinpoint the suction to where your parts are! We were stupid and didn´t do this but it´s actually very fast process. When you use your file for machining the parts as a template for plotting the suction holes it´s done in no time. Remember to have the sheets matched at zero point at least!

Attachments

• uploud1.jpg
    uploud1.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 3,709
  • uploud2.jpg
    uploud2.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 1,340
  • uploud3.jpg
    uploud3.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 1,400
  • uploud4.jpg
    uploud4.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 1,430
Way to go Tuakko. Ambitions for a frst project but it looks good. What speakers are you going to use?

There´s description and photo of the ready speaker couple of pages earlier. I used 7" woofer and 1" tweeter both made by Accuton. Cross-overing was active done by Hypex AS2.100 module. Sounds good but is lacking bass extension/tightness since the woofers are not meant for enclosure with this volume. The design changed after I purchased the hardware so I just had to live with the bass driver originally meant for extremely small enclosures. Maybe with next revision I´ll apply better fitting bass speakers (1-4 per speaker, still unclear :) )

I don't think I ever posted pictures of the ones I built back in 2000 for my dad. The woodwork (cut, assembled, veneered, and stained) was done by a professional cabinet maker based on my diagrams. I tried twice to make one of the top enclosures but couldn't get the angles perfect (the back face is not parallel to the front). It was clear the bottom ones were out of the question with my limited-size table saw.

speakerfront.jpg

The top box weighs 75lbs. It's constructed from 2 layers of 3/4" MDF with 1.5" composite damping material on the inner walls. The speakers are covered in stained Honduras Mahogany with a matte finish.

Never weighed the bottom ones, but the final assembly occurred where they sit. Our guess is 150-200lbs before adding the crossovers (custom wound 12ga coils) and 4 12" drivers. They are constructed from 3 layers of 5/8" MDF with a 3/4" MDF wedge brace separating the front pair of drivers from the rear, with an internal port between the chambers. By the numbers, the low end rolloff with the sealed enclosure looks bad, but the in-room result with 500W/channel is a wonderfully sound clean sound with no lack of ability to shake the house (and the neighbors').

Drivers for each channel are a Morel MDT-33 (tweeter), a pair of Focal midranges (forget the model), and 4 JBL 12" subwoofers. Crossovers are 2nd order and use large gauge custom wound coils, but it's been a long time so I forget all the details.

A couple years ago a friend of my brother's pressed in the soft dome of one of the Morel MDT-33's. No respect :eek: A friend of mine successfully sucked it back out (literally) but you can still see a small imperfection if you look closely.

Last edited:
Musical fidelity A3CR power amp for driving mid & tweeters
Rotel 981 power amp to drive the woofers
DIY audio crossover 2nd order active
Rotel 951 CD player
Rotel 930 preamp

speaker00.JPG

DIY speaker using all Seas drivers in ported alignment.
Xover at 220Hz, 2Khz all 2nd order except for midrange low pass with 4th order.
Sounds bit laid back compared to my NHT 1.5
This was done back in 2004