System Pictures & Description

Konnichiwa,

I guess my turn.....

Here my wife tends her flowers on top of the Subwoofer. This is from the Bastanis Prometheus Kit, dual 12" custom made by Eminence (driver looks based on the Delta 12LF) and Thomessen Amplifier Module, crossover is at 50Hz (3rd Order) and there is LF EQ....

Behind my charming lady is one of the two open baffle speakers, Supravox 215 Signature Bicone on 15mm Acrylic baffle, plus loads of records.

Sayonara

Attachments

• f&s.jpg
    f&s.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 15,773
Konnichiwa,

Here my wife points out "Dis a serious Turntable brotha"....

Turntable is Acoustic Solid "Solid One" fitted with:

1) Origin Live Silver 250 Tonarm with Goldring Elite Silver Coil MC Cartridge

2) SME 3009 Series 2 (non-improved) with Denon DL103

3) Ortofon RS-212 Special with SPU-GTE

Below you see phonostage (DIY, S&B TX-103 MC Stepup, E810F Pentode driving S&B 600 Ohm RIAA EQ Unit, E810F Triode wired output), MF-Audio Prototype Passive Pre (with S&B TX-102) and Ack!dAck.

Below this the current "Transport", a Shanling CD T-100. I normally use a stock Heart/Marantz CD-6000 and at the bottom is the PSU for the Phonostage and a Steinmusic (Germany) mains conditioner for the Transport.

To the left a heavily modified DIY Hifisupply "Joplin" Amplifier and the other speaker. The Amp is IT coupled via a custom, high level S&B TX-101 and uses an S&B TX-896 and a E182CC (or 5687) as Driver, outputs can be 300B, 2A3 or 45, currently a pair of 45's per channel make great music. The whole Amp has no electrolytic caps (incl. PSU) and thePhonostage limits them to heaters and two per channels filtering the (fixed) bias.

Sayonara

Attachments

• f&s3.jpg
    f&s3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 13,765
Konnichiwa,

Other gear currently at hand includes:

Pair of Beauhorn R2.2 Revelation

Pair of Bastanis Prometheus Main Speakers

Pair of Tannoy Monitor Gold without Enclosures (I got rid of my Tannoy corner Yorks to please my wife, great results if you ask me).

I also await the return of the SHanling SACD Player (back to base for revisions) and have a Opera Cyber 30 2A3 SE Amp on order (will be modded for use with 45/2A3 & 300B as well)....

Previous residents are to numerous to list....

Sayonara

PS, cables are currently mostly Bastanis Memphis, I gave most of my own UBYTE Cables away to friends and cannot be arsed right now to make new ones, soon though generation 3 of all Ubytes will return with a vengence....

my room

Its quite a mess, but here it is: I've built most of the stuff myself, its a combind 2 channel and HT setup

Speakers are a 3 way I built a few years ago, i've just never added a finish to the chip board. They use a Heil AMT, best tweeter I've ever hard, a focal 5k413s and some lambda woofers.

Sub for home theatre is a peerles xls 12" with 2 passives in an extended bass shelf alignment, think about 80L box, 450g on each passive. -3db with no room gain I think was 16hz according to unibox. Driven by a tripath amp, delivering 1.2kw in bridged mode, but the driver never sees that much, think safe limit for the xls is about 600w peak, my litening levels don't come anywhere near this

Electronics are a plenty. Thats not all I have either, the pictures don't show everything. Its a biamped setup, built the xovers myself. Amps are a current feedback topology, best amp circuit I've ever heard. Built them using the best parts I could find, sankens, toshibas and NEC. Measurments on an Audio Precision System one show distortion almost off the bottom of the AP 1's scale, no odd order rising ****, freq response to about 900khz. 6-10pf in the feedback loop!!!

Dacs are my own design using the ad1896 ASRC and the ad1852, currently adding 3 spdif outputs to my dvd-a player.

Measurement system is all Bruel and Kjaer, using the 4133 mics.
Also using an ST Audio digital i/o system for my computer, 4 aes/ebu ins and outs.

Using a Tact RCS digital room correction processor and 6 bass traps, plus the room is full of a lot of stuff, which aids greatly with diffraction, only surfaces left of any concern are the floor and 14 foot high ceilings.

I'm quite happy with the sound, about 8 years of diy under my belt so far

Mark Hathaway

Attachments

• my room.jpg
    my room.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 12,304
Variac said:
Bastanis

It's some 12" Eminence driver. But from the photos it definately has some voodoo oil of some sort.......
Somehow I suspect it is a stock model that he modified..

Hy Variac,
whan you meen the pictures which i posted, than you are right. But not Bastanis modified them in that way, i was it. I varnished them with a lacquer called C37. Mr. Bastanis modified the speakers with an other oil, which is a verry good primer for
C37 ;-))

Regards Dommi

Bastanis Speaker System background....

Konnichiwa,

As I have the Bastanis Prometheus at hand for review and as I have been talking a lotv with Robert Bastanis I might maybe chip in here?

First, the Tweeter is Beyma CP-21 - one of the best affordable PA Tweeters IMHO.

The Woofers and Midranges are made by Eminence to RB's specs and have no direct equivalents, especially not the wideband driver. The woofer seems fairly close to teh Delta12LF.

The wideband driver is then further modified by RD using a special oil treatment of the cone to dampen breakup modes and with small foam disks around the cloth dustacap to further dampen the cones resonances. RB also recommends C37 lacquering the cones, I concur....

The woofers have their own 200W or so Amplifier Module from Thomessen and my own settings on that module are 50Hz X-Over Frequency for the Prometheus mains (and lower than that for my Supravox Baffles).

Lastly, the X-Over. The tweeter has a 1.22uF series capacitor. This means the tweeter beginns rolling off 1st order at around 18KHz. Some of this linearises the tweeters HF response, but as can be seen from the K&T Measurements the tweeter ross of quite substantially after plateu reaching down to around 8KHz. The 12" Wideband covers the rest and does so quite well, if I may say so.

Sayonara

PS, further discussions of my implementation of the Prometheus and other open baffles are here:

http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19883

Bedroom System

Konnichiwa,

While we are on the subject of systems, here is what makes background music (and Heart FM Wakeup show) in the bedroom.

The speakers where bought for next to nothing, 6.5" whizzerless Alnico magnet fullrange in a box made from Chipboard, sounds surprisingly good, especially after lacquering the cones with C37 and loosing the terrible grilles.

System is a little Goodmans all in one - around 3W RMS. Rounded off the edges of the PCB, repalced Electrolytic cap's with decent stuff from the "junkbox" and stripped the sleeving, C37 lacquered the PCB.

Speakecables are Silverplated, stranded copper in PTFE.

Resultant sound? More than a hind of the musicality from the "big" rig, only at the frequency extremes and when it comes to resolution and soundstaging is there a substantial loss, not something you'd notice while in bed.... ;-)

Sayonara

Attachments

• bedrsys.jpg
    bedrsys.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 11,943
From 'dipoles for me? help me decide':

Kuei,

Could you inform us here with some more insights on your speakers? Could you maybe give some comparisons to other broadbanders (Jordan, Phy, larger Fostex-es, ??) and/or other systems (older Tannoy, Oris, ??).

And maybe a measurement would be interesting?

I am referring to the Supravoxes.

Thanks in advance.

Konnichiwa,

Nielsio said:
Could you inform us here with some more insights on your speakers? Could you maybe give some comparisons to other broadbanders (Jordan, Phy, larger Fostex-es, ??) and/or other systems (older Tannoy, Oris, ??).

First, compared to larger systems with higher sensitivity and/or cone surface (Tannoy, Oris) the Supravoxes predicatbly struggle with extreme SPL Levels, becoming congested, that aside the sound is no natural, open and unmechanic as any I have heard, including the mentioned (and Hedlund Horns).

Non of the Jordan wideband/fullranges I heard remotely compares (though the Jordan designed Axiom 80 is similarly good in most aspects), they struggle (compress, congest) already at fairly low levels and their need for enclosures makes them much more coloured sounding.

The larger Fostex's I heard (FE168 & 208 Zigma) all sounded less than ideal with very obvious and obnoxious sonic flaws and very limited top end extensions, much worse than any of the older Radio Speakers that Supravox seem to emulate in design (except of course cast frames etc.).

Nielsio said:
And maybe a measurement would be interesting?

Nothing in formats readily postable, but evenly balanced over the bandwidth and around 50Hz- 20KHz +/-6db in room (in the midrange flatter).

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

Peter Daniel said:
I was always wondering what "rounding off the edges of the PCB" actually do?

I don't use PCB's enough to have amassed much experience, but it (obviously) changes the way impulses echo around the PCB, just like rounding of corners inside enmclosures or indeed rooms does. Sure sounds better afterwards.

Sayonara

Re: my room

Mark Hathaway said:

Dacs are my own design using the ad1896 ASRC and the ad1852, currently adding 3 spdif outputs to my dvd-a player.

Mark Hathaway

Mark, what do you think of the DAC? I've been thinking of ordering the AD evaluation board for the AD1896, it's a full upsampler/reclocker/d-a on one board. I do believe that it uses the AD1852 dac chip. A friend of mine is using it and swears its a great deal (especially at $167US, power supply and case extra).

I'd be interested to hear about your implementation of these chips.

Cheers,
RonS

ad1896 eval board

Howdy transducer,

I have used the ad1896 board, it is a very very good starting point. to get the full 192k upsampling, you need to use a 24.567mhz clock in u15. It is described in detail in the eval board pdf.
I love the ad1896 and ad1853, they are my preferred combo. Their sound is silky smooth, closest I've come to analog so far.

If you acquire an eval board, add a Kwak clock to it and you have a winning combo, kwak clock running a 24.576mhz fed to u15 would be awsome.

A good step to take with the eval board is to split up the power supplies, stock the eval board only has a +15vdc, grnd and -15vdc layout. It would be wise to power each section seperatly, easiest way is to power the 2 or was it 3 on board regulators separatly, and feed the output stage separetly.

Beyond that your own layout would be the next step. I will post mine here once it is ready to be released to the world. I'm currently investigating LVDS instead of spdif for my digital connection links. The ad1896 and ad1853 contrary to popular belief, don't need any supporting microprocessor to work. The ad1896 ONLY has a hardware mode, where logic pins are tied high or low, and the ad1853 has the facilities for hardware mode. The PLD's on the eval board are only used for signal routing and logic control.

Mark Hathaway

Hi Mark,

I've just ordered the AD1896 Eval board, hopefully will receive it by weeks end :)

I've gone over the PDF a few times, I'm a bit unclear as to how to set the S3 input interface mode. I'll be hooking this up to a standard CD transport outputing SPDIF on RCA (eventually I'll mod the eval board to accept BNC). I guess I'll just have to fool around with the various switches.

The power supply mods sound worthwhile, I was bothered by the fact that the board uses one set of power supplies for everything. I'm just not sure how feasible it is at the moment, as it's a 4 layer SMD board. Is it easy enough to provide seperate power supplies for the various sections, or is only the output opamp critical, to seperate it from the digital side?

Thanks for your help, I'll post here when I receive the board and have some listening impressions.

Cheers,
RonS

Don't have pictures for my system yet, but I do have a quick Frequency response measurement. This is at my listening position and the mic was hung from the ceiling to an estimation of where my head would be. Oh, and I was using an unmodified Radiohack Digital SPL meter.

Attachments

• daob@listeningpos(x-over@100hz).jpg
    daob@listeningpos(x-over@100hz).jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 9,949