System Pictures & Description

Thanks guys, she actually really enjoys both the real cinema, and my recreation of that in the home. And no she's not trying to get away at all:D

But in case anyone is curious about the speakers, I have attached a close up of on the LCRs. That badge say CAVX CINEMATIC AUDIO VISUAL EXPERIENCE and is my own registered trademark. These are actually the fourth set I've built, but the first to use the super tweeter...

Mark

Attachments

• right lcr.jpg
    right lcr.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 3,469
Cal Weldon said:
Francis,

Is that...ummm...gulp...a piezo tweeter?

francis varkey said:
Cal,
Yes it is. I'm glad to make someone gulp at the thought of my system(hope it is out of awe);) .
This tweeter is a Radioshack and very efficient due to horn loading. I like the fact that there is no crossover to muddle up things.
The only HF filtering is the crappy capacitor built into the main driver (for its own teenie-weenie tweets), which I may disconnect later.

Regards,
Francis

I have used them (not 1 but three) in the last system I built becuase they allowed close physical spacing needed to achieve contraolled vertical directiivity.

I found that when used with a crossover to filter them above their "turn on" frequency, that they didn't sound too bad. Level matching is a bit if trick as they don't have the flattest respose, well not as flat as the new super tweeters I am using now.

However they do sound very good and their new owner loves them. The 2PAK looks good too...

Mark

Attachments

• lcr 2pak.jpg
    lcr 2pak.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 3,336
My humble setups

home:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(AVi S2000MP pre amp, Toshiba SD220E DVD player (pants for everything but at least it works), clocked, re-capped, modified CD80 (there's another one tucked away for spares), Yamaha DSP-A5, two monoblocked Rotel RB981s powering PMC TB2+s)

uni:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(PMC TB2s+s PC setup with Maudio Revo sound card, scope for playing with :D )

kit powering the PMCs (only have one Rotel at uni):

(Same AVi pre amp, same DVD player, one Rotel and a poorly CD94 (awaiting new transport)

inside the rather nicely designed AVi pre amp:

My system...

So, my turn... Currently I am using this 3-phase speakers (50l volume) made in my country by Tesla (maybe U hear about it, it is IMHO quite known) in early 80s. They are not "high-end" but IMHO not bad. And to my signal source - nowadays only PC throught ESI Juli@, I am very strange "stereophile", planning to buy stand-alone CD-player. As a student, dont have a lot of money...

my constant and never ending improving system...

preamp SP9
transport Esoteric P700
DAC Sonic frontier SFD2
amp Hafler DH 500
Interconnects MIT shot gun 330 and MIT 330HE terminator 4
Speaker cables (which are not connected yet) MIT 750 plus
Speakers vifa 27tg4506 peerless X176wr3308 HI-VI research D8.8

Re: Suplementary TL-sub for my system

DorinD said:

Ahh cool, a totally straight pipe... does it work well? How low does it go at that length? :)

The line has 2.5 meter long and is completely unstuffed. I use an isobaric configuration of two Visaton W300 4OHM woofer. The sound is very clean, totaly differend from the same 20-50Hz tone from an closed enclosured I use for comparison; seems to be weeker in perceived acoustic level but this is from lack of any armonics. The main speakers (3-way horns) are very sensitive and adapting a passive sub was an hard challenge. Crossing between them is made at about 80-90Hz but only from 40Hz down the TL-sub sound is perceived (back chamber or my bass-horn is also working here like a closed enclosure for my midbass drivers).
Anyway, just now I cound really enjoy some organ works from P.E.Bach or some bass-guitar line from Led Zeppelin. I didn't know till now how much musical information exist under 40-50Hz.

Sounds like it works well then... I want to try a t-line at some point. I've heard one pair of speakers using t-line loading and loved the effortless, unrestrained deep bass those speakers made. The superiority over ported was most obvious with (tricky) synth bass lines I thought. Likewise for me re. low bass - my main speakers only go to 40 or 50 properly, and without the sub doing everything below a lot is missing from many many recordings... Anyway, good work there!