System Pictures & Description

Here is better profile of my front E&Ms.

Attachments

• specia~1.jpg
    specia~1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 18,837
Re: My humble entry

MCH said:
Here is my humble entry. I don't have a lot of high end electronic stuff. But I am happy with the sound.
15" Tempest Octagon sub
Front E&M speakers, E&M center channel (redisgned AR.diys)

Nicely done setup, MCH!

I am however affraid the sloping backwall is messing up the sound. I've heard a setup with a sloping backwall once and the sound was just weird?! Maybe it was something else, but if it was not something else I'd consider going to a straight backwall or damping it.

The picture now just doesn't match the sound.

I think that goes for the most of us.. I myself have quit the surround-thing some time ago to focus mainly on quality in stead of quantity and also the fact that I see at least one movie at the cinema has made this decision easier.

michael> Sorta a long story about the mice. You see, my parents got me one ofthe corded ones. I liked it but wanted to try a cordless one instead, so I sold the corded one and bought a cordless one on ebay. Didn't like the slight radio lag(I play games) and the battery weight, so I sold that, and bought a corded one again. While bidding on the corded one(all done on ebay), I accidently won two of them. I didn't think I'd win the second one with a $15 bid, but I did. Same merchant (JustDeals on ebay, great seller BTW) so combined shipping on the two corded mice. I just sold one of them or $17 and am just waiting for payment!

And about the cardboard. It actually isn't that bad, but that's subjective of course. For bass it's good enough for now, for me. Normally I just crank the bass knob up on the NAD, I believe it's +6db at 50hz. No, I don't also use the loudness button too. The weight of the magnets seems to keep resonance down to reasonable levels, and they actually sound a lot better than my dad's Bose Acoustimass V cubes, there's some imaging for example. I do have a sub, a 10" Titanic MKII to the right of the chair. It's quasi sealed, meaning there's no bottom yet, and it's "sealed" by it's own weight holding it to the carpet. I can't hear air seeping out, so it's ok for now. I just use it for loud listening and games, as the bass sounds best when coming straight from the main drivers. But when I turn it up too high it kind of bounces!

Oh, they're not done yet, I'm just waiting till I get around to doing the cabinets. They're going to have angled sides so I can toe them in without taking up extra space on the side, and the front's might be angles up to align the tweeter with the woofers, haven't made up my mind for sure yet.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JasonL said:
That is so strange i emailed you 2 times today asking you the same question for your home address and stuff..

Last mail i got was the return from my post to you on the PB Scam

any ideas for a t-line using a pair of Jordan's and the gs2I ribbon for use with my Aleph's

Which Jordan? Didn't i fire you the plans for the JX125?

dave

My turn to show my system... :)

"My listening room"
Speakers seen closer
Baffle oppened

The CD player (Cambridge Audio D500 SE, for sale, now ;)) has been replaced by a Micromega Optic BS, an old -but so great- player.
The power amplifier is a DIY based on TDA7294 (4 channels), and the pre-amplifier is passive (only for source selection and volume).

The cables (interconnect) are RG316 for the moment, but I'll replace these by NeoTech KHS 131 S.
For the speakers, I'm using pro cable (Draka MC 4x2,5mm²) with Neutrik Speakon connectors.

The loudspeakers, now... :)
Based on Focal drivers : two 6 W 4311 B (in parallel) and one TC 120 TD5, in D'Appolito.
I have to build a new box, with a "double tuned bass reflex" (ce call that "résonateur" in french :D, I don't know how to say...).

;)
Vincent

JasonL said:
those are nice focal drivers...

Got any planns for them ? may i see them ?
Yes, those are great drivers... ;)
A bit expensive (Focal's prices ! :rolleyes: ), but very neutral and transparency.
The acceptable power is high and Xmax too.

I don't want to give you any plan, for the simple reason that xover is not definitive (I need to buy some coils), and that I have to build a new box, with a resonator (don't know how we say that :xeye: ).

As soon as I will have finished, I'll post the plans...

;)
Vincent

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Vince35 said:

Yes, those are great drivers... ;)
A bit expensive (Focal's prices ! :rolleyes: ), but very neutral and transparency.
The acceptable power is high and Xmax too.

I don't want to give you any plan, for the simple reason that xover is not definitive (I need to buy some coils), and that I have to build a new box, with a resonator (don't know how we say that :xeye: ).

As soon as I will have finished, I'll post the plans...

;)
Vincent

resonator could be passive radiator? Basically a speaker cone with no voice coil or magnet (hence the passive). It will move due to pressure changes inside the box, used instead of a port.

I was originally thinking of using the focal drivers you have but moved away from the idea when I learned they are hard to crossover (seeing as how it will be my first crossover design).

Regards,

Tony.