System Pictures & Description

Eclecticism is a term for my style of mish mashing things together when having company.

20240324_093139.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I built a set of SEAS bookshelf speakers 25 years ago and recently got the bug to build something. So I gave the old faithful SEAS coax drivers a new home. After an aborted TQWT experiment, I ended up with this; a Dayton 8" HF subwoofer and Hypex plate amp on the back rounds out what I guess is a powered 3 way monitor? I also ended up with a lot of extra MDF, so built the ATMOS boxes on top with a little 3 inch full range in there.

Speaker Stack.jpg
System Picture.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
May I post here my latest experiments?
OK. Thanks.

I built a pair of TL speakers for my best friend's birthday. With 92cm height X 39cm depth and 20cm internal width for a 16.5inch car coaxial, the AIWA AWs 1665p. Total lenght, including anterior chamber, is 3.6m! The cost for the transducers and for one MDF 15mm thick panel was around USD$ 55.-
They don't need a sub-woofer....they do need vertical reinforcement between internal panels, IMHO.

The result was so good (for a non-audiophile) that I built a smaller version (60cm) with 22mm plywood and total stuffing, instead of half tunel stuffing for the bigger one. Total length of the line, including the anterior chamber is 236cm...

Once we have the enclosures, we can later try better (more expensive) transducers.

I have found that those thin PMC TL sound thin/weak on the midbass, so I use an extra anterior chamber that works marvels and 20cm width. The sound is robust and ordered.

Cheers,
M.

Attachments

• TL AIWA AWS1665  DOBLE IMAN.jpg
    TL AIWA AWS1665 DOBLE IMAN.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 79
  • TL CHICO AIWA AWs1665 sinSTUFF PAINT.jpg
    TL CHICO AIWA AWs1665 sinSTUFF PAINT.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 68
  • TL CHICO AIWA AWs1665 STUFF1.jpg
    TL CHICO AIWA AWs1665 STUFF1.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 77
  • TL CHICO AIWA AWs1665 FIN.jpg
    TL CHICO AIWA AWs1665 FIN.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: 1 users
Sanded and varnished. ready to ship to my client....sorry, my Son, hehe.
I heard 32Hz...
The higher one may benefit from half-stuffing the final portion. It should render the sound more precise, though less fat.
I hope you like it. I like it a lot.

Cheers,
M

PS: I have to invent a "grille" to hide the poliester whool....

Attachments

• TL CHICO AIWA AWs1665 FIN3.jpg
    TL CHICO AIWA AWs1665 FIN3.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 41
  • TL CHICO AIWA AWs1665 FIN2.jpg
    TL CHICO AIWA AWs1665 FIN2.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 40
  • TL CHICO AIWA AWs1665 FIN1.jpg
    TL CHICO AIWA AWs1665 FIN1.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 41
My main system is a space I built in a loft above my garage. It's fully horn loaded from 20->20K Hz with built in bass horns driven with VTL MB-125 mono amps and the 3-way mains driven with SET 300B amps with Western Electric 300B tubes.

room.jpg

System and room are built for analog playback. 3-way mains are fully time aligned. Due to the length of the bass horns there is a 5-6msec offset below ~65 Hz. In human hearing the small of an offset in that range is rarely perceptible, but digital time correction is not an option in a full analog system.

Front end currently includes my Super Nova Vacuum Platter TT with Triangle Art Osiris arm (table can also mount my SME type IV arm, but not currently mounted) and my BE 12C broadcast deck with Karmadon replica of the classic Gray research 108 viscous damped arm.

Phono stage is currently a Pro-Ject Tube box DS2 which is able to take multiple inputs and tunable for gain and loadings between MM and MC cartridges.

Pre amp is older Conrad Johnson Premier 17 that is upgraded with their teflon caps.

Power for the room is a couple of dedicated circuits with isolated grounding and additional power conditioning.

Components.jpeg

Main speakers include Cogent DS 1448 midbass and DS-1428 midrange field coil compression drivers and Fostex T-925a horn tweeters. Mains sensitivity is ~115db 1w/1m. Bass horns are built into the room and put out ~ 106 db 1w/1m below 80Hz down to 20 hz.

drivers.jpeg

Bass Horns.png

Room includes extensive millwork for diffraction. The record cases have upholstered backs with the space behind them stuffed with R-39 insulation: they are effectively bass traps. A heavy rug and some absorptive panels for first reflections and additional ceiling diffraction complete a room with very rapid decay times and few modes from reflections.

I cannot overstate how important good room treatment is for best playback. A well treated room will make mediocre equipment sound good while an unterted space can render the best equipment unlistenable.

Reactions: 5 users