Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

System Pictures & Description
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2018, 04:56 AM   #3111
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

3wayaddict,

Congratulations, looks like you went for a well thought out build, and the end results are really good! What finish are you planning for the cabinets? Beware, if you like 'em too much, you might end up listening to them as they are and they will remain in raw MDF.

If you don't mind me asking, what genres of music did you try them out with?
Old 4th December 2018, 07:39 AM   #3112
3wayaddict is offline 3wayaddict  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

To really test the raw quality (so that's clarity, transparency, detail etc.) I often listen to a live recording of Anouk - "It Wasn't Me" (Live From Oosterpoort), a live recording of Eagles - "Hotel California" (Hell Freezes Over), Pepe Romero - "Farrucas", Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Tin Pan Alley", Tears For Fears - "Bad Man's Song" and I think The Handsome Family - Singing Bones is also a great album for sound quality. Many of the songs are also often played during demonstrations at Chattelin.
I really like a number of the songs above to listen to normally as well but normally I mostly listen to rock, alternative in particular. Like Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Genesis and obviously many more (my playlist is over 1500 songs). So to really test if the speakers are emotionally grabbing me, and to see what kind of punch they pack during loud playback of loud, complicated songs, I often play some of that, even though most of it isn't recorded too well, unfortunately.
Old 4th December 2018, 07:56 AM   #3113
asuslover is offline asuslover  Romania
diyAudio Member

3way , arenít you a little bit too young for this? Go and chase some girls, youíll have time for this later, great job btw!
Old 4th December 2018, 08:16 AM   #3114
diyAudio Member

3wayaddict,

Good to hear that the speaker will get some demanding music and not only Diana Krall.

That's a problem with rock music, a lot of it is not that well recorded (though the music is fantastic).

Have fun listening and only request/advice is that don't play too loud, as you need to be careful about hearing damage. It's easy to crank up good systems, specially when you're young!
Old 4th December 2018, 09:37 AM   #3115
diyAudio Member

I tthink it's a good thing I have found my passion at my age. Now I know what I want to do later.

My hearing something I'm very careful with. I definitely don't want to miss the sounds my years have yet to bring! Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm gonna make them mat white, like Kroma Audio. I just love the look of those.
Old 4th December 2018, 10:08 AM   #3116
diyAudio Member

Looked up Kroma Audio and their speakers look nice. Look forward to more pics as you progress on your journey to get these finished.
Old 4th December 2018, 12:14 PM   #3117
nuconz is offline nuconz  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wayaddict View Post
To really test the raw quality (so that's clarity, transparency, detail etc.) I often listen to a live recording of Anouk - "It Wasn't Me" (Live From Oosterpoort), a live recording of Eagles - "Hotel California" (Hell Freezes Over), Pepe Romero - "Farrucas", Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Tin Pan Alley", Tears For Fears - "Bad Man's Song" and I think The Handsome Family - Singing Bones is also a great album for sound quality. Many of the songs are also often played during demonstrations at Chattelin.
I really like a number of the songs above to listen to normally as well but normally I mostly listen to rock, alternative in particular. Like Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Genesis and obviously many more (my playlist is over 1500 songs). So to really test if the speakers are emotionally grabbing me, and to see what kind of punch they pack during loud playback of loud, complicated songs, I often play some of that, even though most of it isn't recorded too well, unfortunately.
a standard by which i judge the mid-range of a speaker system is to pull out any recording of Karen Carpenter. she had such a soul stirring voice that the passion and beauty is missed by so many speaker systems.
Old 4th December 2018, 10:21 PM   #3118
diyAudio Member

Optimized placement today. This gives the best balance between soundstage and precise imaging. Now that they have played in for a day more, they have gotten even better and are obviously still getting better. I'm not the kind of audiophile that necessarily wants it to seem as if the artist are right there with you in the room, I'm looking for al the best but just someth i by that sounds nice and has a big soundstage but when playing the studio recording of Anouk - "It Wasn't Me", it is just as if the guitarist and her are sitting RIGHT THERE one meter away from me, so realistic. And the utter clarity these speakers deliver is of a level that can't be described by words.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181204_154651.jpg (554.0 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg 20181204_155140.jpg (484.4 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg 20181204_154839.jpg (599.1 KB, 425 views)
Old 4th December 2018, 10:22 PM   #3119
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the upside down picture. Don't know why it does that.
Old 11th December 2018, 06:23 AM   #3120
pelayostyle is offline pelayostyle  United States
diyAudio Member

I've upgraded the crossovers on my Swan 3.1 speakers and in the process, replaced the 47uf electrolytic with a poly equivalent. Are there any concerns with the proximity of the large capacitor and the 2R resistor underneath? It's not touching and I don't think I can move the capacitor any further away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dnkgwPs.jpg (527.0 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg xk6m7fa.jpg (455.7 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg zBZ42F3.jpg (294.2 KB, 84 views)

System Pictures & DescriptionHide this!Advertise here!