Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

System Pictures & Description
System Pictures & Description
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2018, 08:30 PM   #3101
Vortex is offline Vortex  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Vortex System Pictures & Description
I'm also planning to run a Kodi as HTPC. Are you using that on Linux ? Tried the Windows version, pretty decent and does the basic job.
Old 28th October 2018, 09:24 PM   #3102
Big Dave is offline Big Dave  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Updated system pics

My system has been upgraded so much it demanded me loading new pics. I built a new CC using JBL 2118js and Hivi RT2ii ribbon. Side ported, individual compartments.
Installed the Hivi ribbons on the open baffle AN Super 12s as well.
Got rid of the Eminence Alpha 15as, replaced them with JBL 4530s loaded with JBL 2226h drivers.
Finally, introduced a set of horns to the system, Emilar EH 500s with EC 175 8 drivers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 85E991D1-AB76-4FDD-AF5C-0D6203D53519.jpeg (611.8 KB, 620 views)
File Type: jpeg F07AA248-7C51-40BA-965D-B3CFB5DBFFD5.jpeg (487.5 KB, 614 views)
File Type: jpeg 271243D0-746D-44BE-BB9C-50AAC6F663A9.jpeg (488.4 KB, 591 views)
Old 29th October 2018, 11:23 PM   #3103
lamir35 is offline lamir35  Israel
diyAudio Member

My impression of the 'Finalists'

Click the image to open in full size.

(The speaker in the pic is from the designer's site, my camera isn't at hand right now and it looks pretty much the same except my pair is painted white...)

It's hard to compare speakers objectively as we all know (unless you have a proper A/B set up...), but I'll do my best to describe close listening to music I know well enough to tell what's missing and what is revealed by them.

I read the Finalists are all about the mid, which is very detailed with every lick in the singer's lips audible, but these speakers go deep deep down, better than any of the popular slightly more compact and aesthetic pairs can do. It's not massive bass but it's there (as low as 30Hz?).

First, there's great variability between how different genres sound on them. The 70's rock classics are generally badly recorded (King Crimson) with a few rare exceptions as the Pink Floyd, and don't sound that much more enjoyable on them than properly recorded material (sounds to me most has no extension down at all but I didn't analyze it with a software...).

Where they really shine is newer chamber music and especially modern acoustic music. My listening room is far from acoustically ideal, and as they say the room is part of the speakers, but even then music such as the 'Rodrigo Y Gabriela' duo guitar heavy laden music excels beyond my expectations.

The best I heard in them so far is Moondog's 'Sax Pax For A Sax'. It's crazy good. There's something it does just right with how it reproduces natural sounds with every delicate thump in Moondog's custom made percussion and the way which it decays into the black background with felt reverberations, with every instrument in the band easy to tell apart and isolate and I suspect it's not the sound engineer who got it right but rather the lack of engineering thereof (no compression?).

I don't see myself upgrading from these, and not just because it took so long to build... It's hard for me to justify upgrading from something which wow's me even after hours of listening, and it seems to me most popular recorded material isn't detailed enough to get much more out of...

Hope I didn't tire you with my lengthy description, and thanks to Jim and to the patient guys from here I asked silly questions...

Last edited by lamir35; 29th October 2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 30th October 2018, 10:49 AM   #3104
diyAudio Member

I'd still see your white version.. I'm also planning speakers in piano white.. it would be great to see a pair of such..
Old 30th October 2018, 12:03 PM   #3105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
I'd still see your white version.. I'm also planning speakers in piano white.. it would be great to see a pair of such..
I chose white because the rooms here are painted white and it would make them more lowkey and grab less attention.

Two low quality photos I just took with my phone. I really cut corners at the end and didn't bother to fix the pink polish stains and a few other cosmetic flaws but nobody even notices from afar... I'm mostly concerned with sound quality. I just listened to the Jacques Loussier Trio, and these babies sure deliver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1450e.JPG (329.3 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1451e.JPG (164.6 KB, 199 views)

Last edited by lamir35; 30th October 2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 4th November 2018, 01:07 AM   #3106
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

3M 1080 G10

Gloss White Vinyl Wrap.
Old 4th November 2018, 04:41 PM   #3107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamir35 View Post
I chose white because the rooms here are painted white and it would make them more lowkey and grab less attention.

Two low quality photos I just took with my phone. I really cut corners at the end and didn't bother to fix the pink polish stains and a few other cosmetic flaws but nobody even notices from afar... I'm mostly concerned with sound quality. I just listened to the Jacques Loussier Trio, and these babies sure deliver.
Hmm they still look okay
Old 4th November 2018, 04:52 PM   #3108
dabenza is offline dabenza  Spain
diyAudio Member

I can’t help but notice that tweeter and midrange are much closer together in designer s photo than in your design. Is there anything I’m missing?
Old 5th November 2018, 04:06 PM   #3109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabenza View Post
I can’t help but notice that tweeter and midrange are much closer together in designer s photo than in your design. Is there anything I’m missing?
I don't know how that happened. Maybe since the MDF thickness is different here than in the original design (metric instead of imperial) I adapted the design and ended up with wrong proportions... I know from an engineering perspective it makes less sense in that configuration but they still sound OK. I'm not going to rebuild them because of that...

I think there's another mistake, the mid drivers look a bit too standing out...

System Pictures & DescriptionHide this!Advertise here!