Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

System Pictures & Description
System Pictures & Description
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2016, 10:42 PM   #2861
mhouston is offline mhouston  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbejokker View Post
Tapered quarter wave construction of my own design. Asymmetric crossover 1st/2nd order. Nice response to high thirties. Reasonably flat response.

Can't figure out how to rotate the picture sorry.
Neat, simple, looks good.
Old 4th February 2016, 01:49 PM   #2862
technofreak is offline technofreak  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to technofreak
My system-in-progress.

Main source is Asus Xonar DSX S/PDIF coaxial to input selector/ADC box (for an occasional analog source), to 75/110 ohm Neutrik transformer to digital input on DCX2496. Power amplifiers: t.amp TA-450 for mid-highs above 438 Hz; TA3020 based class T amp for midbass; temporarily a bridged STA540 chip for subbass. Speakers are Thomann 18-500/8-A for subbass (build thread here), Fane Sovereign 8-225 for midbass, ACR TT-50 titan dome for mids and Seas 22TAF/G for highs. Frequency response measured from listening position, 1/12 octave smoothing. Ignore roll-off above 10 kHz, my measuring mic has limitations

To-do: proper amp for the subwoofer; Scan-Speak Discovery 10" woofers in sealed cabinets for midbass; proper finish for the speakers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160202_154634.jpg (307.6 KB, 2045 views)
File Type: png System_FR_2016.02.03.png (89.4 KB, 1981 views)
Old 4th February 2016, 02:24 PM   #2863
nuconz is offline nuconz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by technofreak View Post
My system-in-progress.

Main source is Asus Xonar DSX S/PDIF coaxial to input selector/ADC box (for an occasional analog source), to 75/110 ohm Neutrik transformer to digital input on DCX2496. Power amplifiers: t.amp TA-450 for mid-highs above 438 Hz; TA3020 based class T amp for midbass; temporarily a bridged STA540 chip for subbass. Speakers are Thomann 18-500/8-A for subbass (build thread here), Fane Sovereign 8-225 for midbass, ACR TT-50 titan dome for mids and Seas 22TAF/G for highs. Frequency response measured from listening position, 1/12 octave smoothing. Ignore roll-off above 10 kHz, my measuring mic has limitations

To-do: proper amp for the subwoofer; Scan-Speak Discovery 10" woofers in sealed cabinets for midbass; proper finish for the speakers.
lovely. how does it sound?
Old 4th February 2016, 03:22 PM   #2864
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuconz View Post
lovely. how does it sound?
It sounds, well, real. As in you're really listening to music, not speakers. The TT-50 has it's quirk - rise in 3rd harmonic distortion at around 4 kHz - but it's still below 1% and not really objectionable. The 22TAF/G is easily among the best dome tweeters I've ever heard; no metallic harshness usually assotiated with metal domes, and no unnatural dullness that is plagueing many soft domes. The cheap Thomann 18" driver is not the lowest or loudest and needs EQ to get flat, but, again, sounds real. Double-bass and drums sound just like that, real instruments, not some plasticky imitations of ones.
Old 4th February 2016, 04:17 PM   #2865
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Do you thinks that the sub is large enough?
Old 4th February 2016, 04:49 PM   #2866
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guangui View Post
Do you thinks that the sub is large enough?
Can they ever be large enough? It's actually "only" ~360 liters Vb (compare that to some 500+ liter LLT-s with one 18" driver built by home cinema nuts). It's 1,5 meters wide, but depth of the cabinet is just around 40 cm. About 225...300 liters tuned to about 25 Hz is normal for real 18" cinema subs, I made mine just a bit larger and tuned lower.
Old 4th February 2016, 06:02 PM   #2867
Teradacto58 is offline Teradacto58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Family Room

Just finished a new plank vinyl floor....new leather sofa's are in...going out this weekend to buy a new carpet to tone the room down... put the Bronze Akai 2650 pair in the family room.....an SA find for $30/pair......running a pair of Cambridge Audio R50's + Dynaco A25's.....Running a 110watt/ch 7.1 Yammy for the surround sound...4x Celestion 25's...10" Energy sub...2x Cellestion 1's ,Klipsch center Channel + Design Acoustics rear center... The small Bose 121's were a GW find...bought them to flip....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speakersfam.jpg (79.7 KB, 1888 views)
File Type: jpg akai2650pair.jpg (98.0 KB, 1832 views)
Old 7th February 2016, 11:20 AM   #2868
Hsmeets is offline Hsmeets  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Speakers: Closed Box, Scan-Speak Revelator and Illuminator drivers, cabinet design inspired by Marten, Kharma, etc

Electronics: MiniSharc DSP, ESS9016 based 8ch DAC, balanced interconnects to a Hypex UCD180HG based 6ch Amplifier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0213.jpg (538.2 KB, 1774 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0215.jpg (455.2 KB, 918 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0216.jpg (405.0 KB, 831 views)

Last edited by Hsmeets; 7th February 2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 7th February 2016, 07:34 PM   #2869
NATDBERG is offline NATDBERG  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsmeets View Post
Speakers: Closed Box, Scan-Speak Revelator and Illuminator drivers, cabinet design inspired by Marten, Kharma, etc

Electronics: MiniSharc DSP, ESS9016 based 8ch DAC, balanced interconnects to a Hypex UCD180HG based 6ch Amplifier.
I love the design of the base of those speakers in particular! Nice and spacious..

Do you have a build thread anywhere on the internet to look at?
Old 7th February 2016, 07:50 PM   #2870
Hsmeets is offline Hsmeets  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATDBERG View Post
I love the design of the base of those speakers in particular! Nice and spacious..

Do you have a build thread anywhere on the internet to look at?
Only in Dutch. Speaker built starts around page 17 (Thread starts with a different build of mine, at page 17 this one starts)

Speaker built: forum.zelfbouwaudio.nl • Toon onderwerp - Project #2: Vloerstaander

Electronics:

forum.zelfbouwaudio.nl • Toon onderwerp - [Longterm] MiniSharc + AFDAC2 + UcD

System Pictures & DescriptionHide this!Advertise here!