Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

System Pictures & Description
System Pictures & Description
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2011, 12:42 PM   #2071
dirkwright is offline dirkwright  United States
diyAudio Member

My latest project. A bookshelf speaker using Dayton's 3" full range driver and a no-name 6.5" subwoofer. Crossover is 500 Hz. Should be interesting...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1020135 - sm.JPG (644.7 KB, 4083 views)
Old 8th November 2011, 08:57 AM   #2072
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahegyes View Post
Hello everyoane. In the link below you will see my latest work. In is a center chanel using Vifa speakers. Be aware, it is a translation using google translate .
Great stuff, a very serious build.

Felicitari, n-are cum sa nu te bucure cand vezi asa ceva! Numai bine!
Old 8th November 2011, 11:29 AM   #2073
nuconz is offline nuconz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
My latest project. A bookshelf speaker using Dayton's 3" full range driver and a no-name 6.5" subwoofer. Crossover is 500 Hz. Should be interesting...
ported or sealed box?
Old 9th November 2011, 12:10 PM   #2074
adelias is offline adelias  Greece
diyAudio Member

Here are my Wilmslow ATC 100 clones with ATC discreet active xover/amps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000712s.jpg (59.1 KB, 3780 views)
File Type: jpg P1000717s.jpg (53.8 KB, 3318 views)
File Type: jpg P1000719s.jpg (48.5 KB, 3537 views)

Last edited by adelias; 9th November 2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 9th November 2011, 12:12 PM   #2075
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Wow!
Old 9th November 2011, 02:07 PM   #2076
dirkwright is offline dirkwright  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuconz View Post
ported or sealed box?
Both are sealed. They don't play loud, but that's ok these are for close up listening in a small room.
Old 16th November 2011, 10:24 PM   #2077
skeeter99 is offline skeeter99  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Carpenter View Post
Statements
Design by Jim Holtz and Curt Campbell Thanks guys!

Build by me and Alex.
Subwoofer is a Dayton 390hf in a 4.5ft3 sealled.
Veneer: Brazilian Rosewood.
Complete build here: super Statement or the Statement's Statement! - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com
Quite possibly the best looking set of speakers I've ever seen. WOW!!

Scott
Old 8th December 2011, 06:55 PM   #2078
EKwisnek is offline EKwisnek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default My First DIY

Hey guys.

After browsing these forums and others for quite some time, my DIY itch finally had to be scratched. I've been in the audiophile game for a bit and had everything from standmount monitors to very pricey floor-standers, but nothing I've made with my own hands.

The design I chose was the MJK Open Baffles, with the Eminence Alpha-15A and the Fostex Fe-103en.

I live in a one-bedroom apartment on the 16th floor of my building, and all of the work was done in my living room/dining area (much to the displeasure of my girlfriend). The baffles are 3/4inch birch finish plywood, with birch edge banding. The "feet" are red oak. The loudspeakers were finished with a little stain and satin poly for protection. The little "accent" pieces near the base were actually the result of an accidental drill-through of the baffle when mounting the shelf-brackets on the back. They actually turned out to look "original".

The crossovers are housed in a hammond enclosure mounted on the back of the baffle; they are damped with non-conductive foam to minimize vibration. I've used 10-guage wired for all of the internals and driver hook-ups.

The initial sound was actually very bad. The FE-103 can be a challenge, and the bass was a bit shy. I applied some EQ to the setup and now I'm very pleased! The drivers took a little while to settle in and play nice, but the overall tonality is now very smooth and colorless.

I learned a lot of lessons, made a lot of mistakes, but I'm very eager to jump into another project! Thanks for looking!

-Evan

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th December 2011, 09:02 PM   #2079
oLjud is offline oLjud  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Nice work, simple and clean. Just the way I like it

Fostex drivers tends to have a long burn-in time, much longer than a normal "hifi" speaker. So maybe the driver just hasn't been played enough yet to really sound great
Old 11th December 2011, 10:30 AM   #2080
Hsmeets is offline Hsmeets  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

A small(er) 2 way speaker.

System Pictures & Description-jmg-monitor-jpg

Not yet final coated (still out on what finish to use) and cabling to integrate in the stands and replace speaker screws with black ones.

Tapered box with curved side walls. Bassreflex tuned at approx 40hz, vent on on the bottom. Tuning is low with a result that the response is dropping a few dB towards f3 with some room gain in mind to compensate that.

Seas 18cm Excel midwoofer and Visaton ceramic tweeter. Xover at around 2.2Khz.

Currently an active setup with Hypex AS2.100 DSP plate amp. But some time in the future a passive crossover will be created.

I choose a big diameter port to avoid any vent noise. Big diameter resulted in a long port which led to a small resonance at 1,2 Khz. I damped that within the DSP. Maybe I replace the port with a smaller diameter/shorter one so the resonance raises up above the cross-over freq. I don't play that load that vent noise will be an issue.

More then pleased with the result, it digests all kinds of music equally well wether it is jazz, big band, classic, vocals, etc etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JMG-I-Monitor.jpg (221.6 KB, 3780 views)

System Pictures & DescriptionHide this!Advertise here!