System Pictures & Description

Thermionic 3PI

My first DIY speakers

Attachments

• pi5.jpg
    pi5.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 6,343
Raami said:
Well, here is my DIY-subwoofer. (tired of big black boxes...) :D It took about million hours :xeye: but it was worth it! Weight 46kg :att'n:

That is incredible. I couldn't even imagine making a cabinet like that without a nice CNC router to do all the work for me. The paint job is also top-notch. Can you give us some tech specs about the enclosure and drivers and of course, a description of how you made such a work of art.

Here is something:

- Peerless XLS 12" 830500
- Peerless XLS 12" Passive Radiator 830548
- Hypex HS-200 Amplifier

Walls are 35-50mm thick MDF board, cabinet is waterproof because of 10mm layer of fiberglass inside. Amplifier is in own insulated cabinet back of the main cabinet? :confused: Anyway, all parts are made of MDF, but the front of the cabinet is made with stretchy cloth (shapes) and glued together with lots of staples, glue, screws, filler, fiberclass and sweat!
Sound is quite shaking! :cannotbe: And it still sounds tight too, I like it!

BTW: here is my whole system, not high end... :rolleyes:
Amp. Yamaha RX-V640RDS
DVD Panasonic DVD-S31
5 x Chorus 662 Speakers + DIY Sub

Sorry my poor english :(

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

michael said:
Raami, very nice setup, i especially love the sub, does the red paint make it go faster:clown:
Is the 200w amp plent for the sub?
regards
Michael

Thanks everyone!

michael,

200W is enough for me, my neightbour told me that :D
Seriously, I have only once reach the limit of my sub when I watched movie called "The Thin Red Line". There is a scene where soldiers attack to Japanese bunkher and then comes heavy cannon fire from the backline and it´s getting closer to you in every explosion, dam it´s realistic! But I have to admit that I had too much level then... :rolleyes:

I've had some experiences with the 10" XLS drivers and passive radiator combos, and I must admit that the results were very good.

I can only imagine that the 12" does better.

Just wondering, did you build the sub using Peerless' application notes? Or did you tune it yourself?

Either way, that is one wicked looking sub.:cool:

DrSplodge said:

Just wondering, did you build the sub using Peerless' application notes? Or did you tune it yourself?

At first I made it bigger than Peerless application notes, about 50 litres, because my box shape and I wanted to test how it sounds? I didn´t want to put drivers to opposite sides of box, so thats why the box is quite big. Result was that the sub went really low, even too low and it didn´t sound so tight as it now sounds (40 litres).

I added few project photos to net:

backside
front without stretchy cloth
front with stretchy cloth

At this point I had to make stretching again because first cloth was too thin! :bawling:

front with fiberglass
front with spray-filler
ready to paint
surface with glossy red
the amplifier

BigMacX said:
Here's a pic of my speakers, built with some help from people on this forum. No prizes for guesssing what they're copies of....

Pics

Mac.
Really nice speakers !! :) It must sounds very great ! ;)

The tweeter is the Foal TC120 TDX or TD5 ? I use the TD5 on my Focal speakers, and I heard everywhere that the TDX was better...
The mid unit is a SEAS driver, isn't it ? (P17RCY/P ?) How does it sound like ?
The bass units seem to be some Peerless ?

What about crossover ?

;)
Vincent