System Pictures & Description

Thanks, each baffle uses 9 Dayton PT2C-8 planar tweeters and are flanked by a total of 24 6 1/2" poly cone mids. The mids are no name speakers but are the same Dayton uses in their B652 speakers. Dayton Audio T-Amp and B652 Portable Speaker System Bundle

6-1/2" Poly Cone Midbass Woofer 4 Ohm

Dayton Audio PT2C-8 Planar Tweeter

It's the mid drivers that are the open baffle part of the design. The baffles are crossed at 2500Hz and 70Hz at which point my distributed bass handles 70Hz and below.

Very nice! For those wanting to build something similar. PE has a pair of 5-1/4" Poly Woofers for $14.88/Pr. They say it's a buyout, but it is a Dynavox woofer, sold normally at $7.50/Ea. ($15.00/Pr.) by Dynavox. It has a 0.86 QTS.

Last edited:
navin!

The driver units are Scanspeak Illuminators. The loudspeakers are based on Troel Gravesen's Illumina 66 Loudspeakers. I changed the material and veneer, the shape of the loudspeaker but faithfully kept the dimensions of the front baffle and internal volume. Top part of the baffle is covered in leather from Land Rover seats.

Steve

This is version 1. Will be starting on version 2 this summer.

Hi Rob!

Just curious how much power do these speakers require to really sing? Also do these speakers seem to prefer either solid-state or tube amplification or doesn't that seem to be an issue? Beautiful to behold and I'm sure a pleasure to listen to as well!

I'm listening to: Dreamland by Yellowjackets

Thetubeguy1954

Hey Tubeguy,
They aren't very efficient due to the mid range choice. The mids are the limiting factor with an overall efficiency of 88.3 dB 2.83V/1m. The Qts is 0.95 and why I chose them for open baffle use. Still, just a few watts is all it takes at my usual listening levels.

I use solid state amps to drive them. I can't say how they sound with tubes as all I've tried is a single tube buffer.

Rob

Hey Tubeguy,
They aren't very efficient due to the mid range choice. The mids are the limiting factor with an overall efficiency of 88.3 dB 2.83V/1m.

Rob

??????

24 woofers per channel with each driver at 88db. 3b increase per doubling of drivers so 2 is 91db, 4 at 94db, 8 at 97db..............if these aren't ridiculously loud with a 5 watt sett, somethings wrong! Lol

Hey Tubeguy,
They aren't very efficient due to the mid range choice. The mids are the limiting factor with an overall efficiency of 88.3 dB 2.83V/1m. The Qts is 0.95 and why I chose them for open baffle use. Still, just a few watts is all it takes at my usual listening levels.

I use solid state amps to drive them. I can't say how they sound with tubes as all I've tried is a single tube buffer.

Rob

how tall are they?

bet the imaging is huge!

They are 7' 8" tall. The imaging is huge and yet very natural. The biggest downside being I won't be able to go any other route for my main system. I do want to build a couple different types of speakers but mainly I'm looking at ways to improve on the floor to ceiling variety. I really like full length line array type two way speakers with distributed bass. Variations of this theme is likely where my attention will be for the next few years.

My reference system. Lost the room in the divorce but kept the system. I've been swapping out the tops trying various drivers but the modified Eminence 12LTAs with ASD1001 tweeters really sounds amazing to me. Love the H-frames fitted with Eminence Alpha 15. An all Eminence system can really sing.

Nice! I agree about Eminence 12LTA, it sounds great in open baffle and a few crossover / filter tweks...

What the chosen crossover freq. you prefer?

I let the 12LTA play full on open baffle and blend a tweeter (Eminence ASD 1001 plus Dayton 4.5" waveguide) using a 1.33uf cap. That's it. Not sure what frequency that would be but it's probably rolling in somewhere just after 10kHz.

The bass is covered by the H-frame which is dialed in by a 100 watt Dayton subwoofer amp. I'd recommend upgrading the amp to a higher powered option for better control of the bass and volume but for now it's all good in my apartment.

First project

Tapered quarter wave construction of my own design. Asymmetric crossover 1st/2nd order. Nice response to high thirties. Reasonably flat response.

Can't figure out how to rotate the picture sorry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 2,664
Tapered quarter wave construction of my own design. Asymmetric crossover 1st/2nd order. Nice response to high thirties. Reasonably flat response.

Can't figure out how to rotate the picture sorry.

Isn't it ironic...Great design, nice response, assymetrical XO, and built beautifully. But, can't figure out how to rotate a pic!!! Don't worry, we all go through things like that.

I just finished (save for making some new wiring) a new pair of OB mid range units to go with my Newform Research tweeters.
I've done preliminary measurements/adjustments but now I'm going to listen for a couple of weeks before going back to the minidsp to tune them in.
So far I'm very happy!

Attachments

• Speakers %282%29.jpg
    Speakers %282%29.jpg
    862.4 KB · Views: 2,311
  • Speakers %283%29.jpg
    Speakers %283%29.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 2,184
  • KEVIN SPEAKERS1.jpg
    KEVIN SPEAKERS1.jpg
    649.3 KB · Views: 2,139