System Pictures & Description

I've had these speakers for a few months now. Only painted them that ugly color and took pictures recently though. I can really only compare them to my old AR 308HO and I sort of forget how those sounded + the 308's sound a lot better with the grill off, but it was on most of the time.

With that being said, they sound very good to me. The woofers have very good detail. And the tweeters are nice, I think. I'm not good at describing sound :xeye: as you can probably tell.

The zetag woofers are made by Visaton for zetag. The only difference between the Visaton AL 200 and the Zetag 8" driver is the Zetag has a copper, magnesium, and something combination cone and the AL 200's cone is aluminum. The AL 200 sells for like 150 Euro a piece. It's kind of hard not to make a $150 woofer sound descent IMUI [the "U" stands for uneducated :clown:]. Esspecially when compared to $5 and $10 AR woofers for the AR 308 HO 5.25" and 8" sub.

I forgot to mention Alvaius designed the x-over. I did nothing to alter his design.

If I were to make them again I would make the top and woofer in separate vented enclosures so I could seal the top only or both or make whole thing with an aperiodic vented enclosure.

I bought them on ebay for $166 for 2 pairs of woofers and about $50 for the tweeters. You might just be able to buy them assembled and completed. I seen the G4's for sale on ebay for about $600 USD recently. But you will probably have to change the x-over to make them sound good. Avaius might tell you more about this speaker and give you an x-over schematic (which I can also give you). He lives near or in Ontario, I think, and he designed the x-over for these drivers, after he bought the speakers at the factory. His e-mail is jl1234321@hotmail.com. And Graham is the guy who designed the Zetag speakers and sold me my drivers. He might still be selling the drivers. His e-mail is day-myron@rocketmail.com.

They come in all the sizes at the zetagcorp.com website (G1, G2, G3, and G4). If I knew how to design an x-over I would want to build a G2 or G3 and a sub if I didn't already have these.

my humble setup ... The first stages of a complete (minimalistic) diy audio set.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and a closeup:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

wharfedale 505.2 speakers (not even that bad considering they're over 12 years old and pretty cheap)
diy gainclone in a pretty much finished state (have to close the lid though)
heavily modified philips cd723 with diy silver core interlinks
diy active preamp, still working on that one. Mostly testing different opamps. Currently running an analog devices op275.
philips dvd player with rca surround outputs.

Not shown are my *really* old rear speakers and amps (also gainclones).
Diy sub is coming up.

speaker stands are currently drying (made out of "gips" (gypsum? plaster of paris?)). they weigh a ton!

Next project: decent (but cheap, being a student ;) ) speakers.

My stuff

Some off my experiments.

Attachments

• im000215.jpg
    im000215.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 7,709
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
moe29 said:
roddyama,

is there a thread somewhere here explaining your speakers?
Looks pretty neat.
Hi Moe,

Not one but bits and pieces, here and there. Thanks, I like em.

It’s a tri-amp system that’s in a constant state of flux. Today, the subs are 4.5cu.ft ported boxes with TAD 1601a’s. They have a 3rd order active lo-pass at ~80Hz. The mid-bass are old JBL L77 boxes covered with ¼” birch ply on the sides and ¾” MDF on the front and rear. They hold 2 – parallel JBL LE10A’s in each. They are tuned to 65Hz f3 closed box alignment plus a 1st order PLLXO before the amp. The mid-horn is a McCauley 451 driven by a TAD 4001 compression driver. It goes from 1200Hz to 12kHz, with an active 12db/oct hi-pass and a 1st order passive lo-pass. The top is a JBL 077 that takes over from 12kHz with a 3rd order passive (see the passive x-over here ).

The amps, from the bottom up are, NAD 2600PE, Bryston 4bST, and NAD 2100PE. I hope to have my Aleph5 (fast turning into an Mid-Powered AlephX) done by the summer.

Roddyama,

Great setup!
Especially great speakers! You will probably get much better performance with either Alephs or GC (build with highest quality components) or some ultimate tube amps.

Are you planning to build some nice looking ,one piece enclosure for this four way system?
Some kind of solid rack where all parts of this speaker would be mounted one above another.

I would love to have TAD 2001 or 4001 compresion drivers and some nice TAD or JBL bass speakers,but I can't afford them right now.

Bartek

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
zygibajt said:
Roddyama,

Great setup!
Especially great speakers! You will probably get much better performance with either Alephs or GC (build with highest quality components) or some ultimate tube amps.
Thanks Bartek. I have all the parts for an Aleph5 (this is starting to change into an AlephX). Construction starts within the week.
zygibajt said:
Are you planning to build some nice looking ,one piece enclosure for this four way system?
Some kind of solid rack where all parts of this speaker would be mounted one above another.
That was the original plan 25 years ago. I may get there one day.
zygibajt said:
I would love to have TAD 2001 or 4001 compresion drivers and some nice TAD or JBL bass speakers,but I can't afford them right now.
I managed to get all the drivers (except the 077's and 2 of LE10A's) by buying and selling on eBay and through hifi ads over the past 4 years. You could do the same in Europe. Although sellers are a little more aware of the value of the parts which would make it a little more difficult.

I started some new projects after a big break of almost one year :) Why not adding some funny stuff to your thread...with my "main" system ;)

AM-FM stereo 8 track recorder.

There is few nice feature like: continuous play or auto eject, beat cut button on the back and of course, the display is back illuminated with blue led...:D