Onken SC500 wood multi-cell horn DIY ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Datubie

Nive collection you have, congrats (;-). All the way in Onken, what do you use below and above and what cutoff ? I am planning to use them with some TAD 2001 drivers I am just buying.

If you could give us some building details, that would be great, thank you !
Maybe to measure the inside of the cells, cut a cardboard until it fits inside ?

BTW, could you take some hi res pictures of sides, back, top, driver fixation and take some details especially the throat going from round to rectangle and from one pipe to several cells ?

Additionnally, are all cell parts sanded or some in plain wood ?

Many questions, thanks a lot !!

Best Regards from Paris
Jean-Louis

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Onken 500 horn

Hi.
You may want to look for the le-dauphin-horn.I think it was shown in
l'audiophile issue 35,quite a long time ago.In a much later l'audiophile
(i dont remember which issue),a similar horn was discussed,and its
construction explained.Both horns were(if memory serves me right)
intended to be used with the Tad 2001 driver.
Cheers
Kim

I'm not currently not using the SC500/OS500. Although I do use the Onken W style bass enclosures.

I can take pictures pretty quick, but the cardboard shape may take me some time.

The throat is cast aluminum and the wood flare fits into it. You will probably need to make a modification here. The link I posted in a previous message shows a SC500 copy with a wood throat.

The wood parts are just plywood.

Hi Datubie

Nive collection you have, congrats (;-). All the way in Onken, what do you use below and above and what cutoff ? I am planning to use them with some TAD 2001 drivers I am just buying.

If you could give us some building details, that would be great, thank you !
Maybe to measure the inside of the cells, cut a cardboard until it fits inside ?

BTW, could you take some hi res pictures of sides, back, top, driver fixation and take some details especially the throat going from round to rectangle and from one pipe to several cells ?

Additionnally, are all cell parts sanded or some in plain wood ?

Many questions, thanks a lot !!

Best Regards from Paris
Jean-Louis

Hi.
You may want to look for the le-dauphin-horn.I think it was shown in
l'audiophile issue 35,quite a long time ago.In a much later l'audiophile
(i dont remember which issue),a similar horn was discussed,and its
construction explained.Both horns were(if memory serves me right)
intended to be used with the Tad 2001 driver.
Cheers
Kim

Thanks Kim, I know the Le Dauphin article since I was young (;-). Very interesting though, I really would like to understand better the Onken 500 before I start dying the horn!
BR
Jean-Louis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.