3 Way main speaker project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm starting a work on a pair of 3 way floor standers using PAE (Peerless Logic Series) drivers, 1x 1'' dome tweeter (25SG18), 2x 4.5'' mids (11SG08) and 2x 8'' woofers (22WJ08) per speaker.

The mids will be housed in "nautalus" style tapered lines, and the woofers will be run sealed in an irregularly shaped (exact shape yet to be finalised) enclosure.

Here's a pic of the front baffle with the drivers mounted, it and the base will be the only 2 flat surfaces in the speakers, the rest will be curvy curves :);

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and a pic of the back;

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The mids have a huge motor structure for their size (barely fits through the mounting hole) and required some shaping of the back side of the baffle to ensure adequate breathing room.

Next step is to start construction on the scaffolding that will help form the woofer enclosure and tapered lines (with a lot of fibreglass to come)

those look pretty sharp.

Have you considered bringing the woofers closer to the mids?

Seems like you might want to do that in order to have more source point coherence??

Generally, the further apart they are, the harder it will be to get a smooth crossover -

You may be able to get away with it, but I would look at that aspect carefully before proceeding, I think there are formulas based on physical length of the WL's the drivers are covering.

If you're going to be listening in a large room, you can probably get back far enough for the drivers to blend.

However, in a recent thread several weeks ago, I back offed on a project because the center of the high frequency driver was going to be around 29" from the centger of my 8" mids.

I may still do it at some point, because everything else was so enticing about the setup, and everything has comprises _grin_

However, you may seriously want to consider redoing the baffles where you raise your woofers higher.

regards

Ken L

Yes I'm a little concerned about that my self, but the the center to center distance from the woofers to the mids is around 40cm and 90cm (closest-farthest) and with my intended X-over point bring 300hz I should be able to get away with it.

The seperation looks a little exaggerated in the pic.

I just wanted to make sure you took that into consideration _grin_

I'm glad you made the post.

It's got me thinking about my configuration where I never sorted that out well.

I want to use a 10" waveguide with my 38" Azurahorns, but physically I wind up either with the drivers too far apart or a time alignment problem or both.

But I'm back to thinking on it----_even bigger grin_

Regards

Ken L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.