Active filtering Vifas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yes i did search,no active filter threads.

1" silk D27TG-35-06
5" p13wh-00-09e

pdf

pdf 2

i was wondering,i see plenty of information online about HOW active filters work,yet little work on how to actualy implement them with woofers practically?? -actively.eg the ESP site just shows active filtering but not how to apply it to his certain speakers.

eg=i have these 2 woofers-if i just decide,ok 3khz looks nice,
how can i expect that to sound? can i use the manufacturers FR curves? do i have to measure my own? what problems may occur?

I was planning on building the ESP constant Q equaliser too ,and try some RTA software just for sh_ts and giggles.

Active filtering 24db/octave sounds easy..no worrys about woofer Z,compensation etc.

I want to either use these for my Home,or alternatively in the car,-im not sure yet ..i really should decide!(the car is in desperate need of audio)

ive looked at the responses of both of these speakers,very good.

i cannot deduce anything from the decay response..i have nothing to compare to.So dont know whats good or bad.

Can anyone direct me to a real world example of active filter usage?
it seems everyone passive filters their speakers...

i DO NOT need audiophile perfectness.Just a moderately good sounding setup :)(im at the lower end of audio quality at moment)

Thanks!

even just a URL of a site would be helpful becaus i know repetitive questions are annoying

Attachments

• decay.png
    decay.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 211
Try looking for active crossovers or try www.linkwitzlab.com

You can learn more there than you think is possible.

As for picking crossover points. Well the best I can tell you is to look at the response of all the drivers you are considering. Pick the crossover points so that the frequency responses of the drivers overlap by at least one octive. Then crossover somewhere near the middle of the overlap.

I have no doubt that others will have other ideas but that should get you started.

Later BZ

I forgot to mention

amplifier=that LMxxxx module 20watt,that everyone uses,or a philips similar one.

Im aware that the distortion performance of chip amps can be dodgy,-eg i saw a large ! distortion peak at low power,then it decreases in the midpower rating,then hugely increases ofcourse.
-so i wont use it at low power,only moderate levels LOL

but for low power its ok.

also the active filtering would probably be the 24db/octave LR from Silicon chip( i think january 2003)

i know i have to incorporate the woofer responses into the filter roll offs etc..

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.