Searching for plans of Lab Horn sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a quick FWIW, the LabHorn has been around for a while now, and driver technology has moved on somewhat. It's probably possible to get something better these days.

Chris

Hi Chris, you know, I often wonder about that...
I still have 4 Labhorns built off the original plans, and remember all the discussions Tom had with prosound forum members when spec'ing out the plans.
The unique about the Labs are that the box and driver were specifically designed for each other. Eminence had agreed to work with Tom on the specifically tailored driver.

I've made side by side comparisons against JTR Orbitshifters (which we see frequently compared to Danley's TH-118), and I can easily say the Labhorn rules.

Alot has been made about needing multiple labs to reduce ripple. It's true, they do smooth out with multiple boxes. But my measurements show a single lab having less ripple than a single orbitshifter to begin with.

Here's another comparison against a modern driver. CEA-2010 test, my double 18"s using bms 18n862 vs labs. Labhorn CEA-2010 distortion

The one real caveat that is seldom mentioned is they shouldn't be run above 90-100Hz. I think the overheating, open coil problems folks had with them that led to their loosing favor, was because folks didn't understand the Labs' impedance curve that drops to minimum at about 95Hz and stays their higher up... .

Otherwise, the opposed drivers having little vibration, the low freq extension from coupling, their super clean bass, and incredible efficiency....well, I still love em. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.