Ekta Grande project/AR-1 variation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have started building a set of Ekta Grande speakers (Troels Gravesen). The driver layout, drivers, crossover, faceting on the front baffle, dampening, and internal volume are all to the original design. My cabinets, however, in shape and finish will be similar to Sony's flagship speaker, the AR-1's.

I have received the drivers and are about 50% done with the cabinets. I need to order crossover parts. My question is that Janzen has given me the option of upgrading to wax coils.

Anyone with experience to compare pros/cons?

image.jpg

Cabinet construction continues

I've finished laying up the cabinet sides (3 layers 3/8" plywood) and started skimming with body filler. Final finish will be a 2 part, base coat/clear coat automotive paint, high gloss black. I went ahead and ordered the wax coils suggested by Jantzen, and approved by Troels to work with his crossover design.

The crossovers will be mounted in the base section, closed off from the cabinet interior, accessible through a removable aluminum cover plate.

Open to anyone building this design having comments or suggestions.

image.jpg

Hi CtC

take a look at my Ekta's Troelsova Ekta Grande - Project gallery/WIKI - diyaudio.rs

I also change assimetrical original look, buy Jantzen parts, have separate compartment for XO, also use Scan not Vifa RR,...And I hope u will be pleased with sound as I'm!

Good luck and keep us informed!

I

Igor, thanks for your reply! Yes I saw your build on Troels site. Beautiful wood.

I bought all ScanSpeak drivers, and I ordered all the crossover parts from Jantzen;

image.jpg

I ordered the upgrade wax coils, is that what you did?

I ordered the upgrade wax coils, is that what you did?[/QUOTE]

Yes,

Wax coils (1.2mH and 0.39mH), air cores (all others), SilverZ caps, Mills resistors, Cardas wires. Standard quality, nothing insane here :)
I also modifies 12M 'box'. I didn't like sqare shape of original so I use iregural shape in my Ekta's. Keep volume around 3 liters (more than enough). That helps me a bit to increase volume for two 18's. This was very important part, to keep size moderate (WAF).

If I remeber, netto volume for bass cabinet is around 60 liters. And, I use one port (better for my room).

BR,

I

Driver test fit

I couldn't help myself! Had to get the drivers out of the boxes and see how they fit.

A lot of prep on the front baffle. Besides laying up 3 layers of plywood to get to 1 7/8" thick, then routing out for the sides and intermediate braces to mortise into, all the driver holes had to be back-cut to allow the rear of the drivers to breath.

image.jpg

Picked up primer and paint

I'm going for a deep piano black finish. The speakers will be placed in our living room close to the windows. Here in Honolulu we get mostly sunny days so UV protection is very important. So I'm using Duponts best line of automotive finish.

The plan is 2-3 coats of the primer, 3 coats black basecoat, 3 coats clear, wait 24 sand with 500-600, then 3 more coats of clear, wet sand, then polish and wax.

image.jpg

Looking great, classic black coffin speaker!

How is the humidity in Honolulu? Perhaps some primer also inside the br-box to prevent deformation and decoupling ?
Juhazi, thanks for the reply. The interior of the cabinet is entirely covered with 2 layers of 3M 08840 sound dampening material. (Bitumen). The pads are self adhesive but I sprayed the complete interior with contact cement to both seal the wood and make sure pads never come loose. The backside of the front baffle will be sprayed with primer before being permanently attached. Here is a pic of what the material looks like;

image.jpg

Humidity in Honolulu is not near as bad as in some other cities in the US, but a concern with anything that could be affected by it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.