B&C DE25-8 CD/Stereolab 400Hz horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first experince with CD and horn for Hifi use with passive cross over. I need to damp the CD/horn a lot to make it fit a 90dB 8" woofer. I experince that when the signal is low into the CD, when lots of resistance is added to make the soundpressure low to meat the 8" woofer, then I get a deap sugout around 3500Hz, and it also happens with a very low input signal when you connect directly to the CD.
When the input signal is raised the sugout disapears.
I can see on the impedance responce there is also small low drop around 3500Hz, so something is going on there.

Have anybody tryed the same, I know Earl Geddes have used this driver quite a bit.

I solved my problem, this tendency with a sugout around 3500 hz at very low levels, was removed, when I disassembled the compressiondriver. I could not see anything wrong but a cleared the magneticgab with a peace of paper and after assembling the driver, it works fine.

I have been playing with the passive crossover now. The driver/horn drops of quicly after 10Khz, I have tryend to bridge the series resistanve with a capacitor but still frequences above 10KHz is not raised, how can that be?
The driver have a rising impedance at higher frequences, But I guess that would not be the problem. Is there anything to do about it?

I feel I have made a quite good speaker with this horn/compressiondriver B&C DE25-8 but I have a harshness on especially whomen voices I can get ride off, and I belive it is comming form the drivers. Have anyone experinced the same with B&C drivers? Are there other drivers that will not do that?

Harshness causes,

You cross to low so the tweeter makes a lot of third harmonic in that crossing region. Crossing frequency X3 is the distortion you hear.

Poor quality cross capacitor. try a good axial MKP (not radial wima sounds not good) or audio MKP like obbligato gold or Janzen or intertechnik tri-reference.

Wire wound resistors are bad better use metal oxide MOX

Look for other loudspeaker cable copper , silver , carbon and tinnedcopper to get better results try also different gauge sizes. Very thin tinned copper is cheap and can help improve when there is a to harsh sound.

The horn is to long this causes interference with the waves who are coming direct out of the horn and the ones that reflect against the wall and then come out of the horn travelling a longer way through the horn.

Or you have just poor sounding equipment.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.