Zaph Audio + SUB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have Seas Trym loudspeakers in flat (20m2 room) and I am moving to house with 5,5x5,5x3m living room which is connected to kitchen 6x3m and an other room 5,5x5,5x3m (open space). I have tried Tryms in the new house and it seems that they are too small. I am thinking to extend them by an active SUB (Seas L26ROY) or to build a complete new loudspeakers. The SUB can be placed in the left corner of the living room.
What is your opinion tu build Zaph SR 71 or Zaph Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFCG and install an active SUB (Sealed Seas L26ROY) below Zaphs (1 sub for each channel)?

Thanks!

Frank

Hi,

Why replace the Trym's with smaller speakers capable of less SPL ?

The Trym's with 8" midbass units really need a bigger than 10" sub.

An Eminence LAB12 in 100L tuned to around 22Hz should do the
job, with a 300W to 500W subamplifier to approach max SPL.

rgds, sreten.

Thank you for your opinion.

Just thinking that W22 is not an ideal midwoofer because of its big diameter. The Crossover frequency is low and maybe it is not ideal for the tweeter. The excel drivers are higher class drivers but it does not mean that drivers in SR71 or Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFCG are not comparable. Is anybody there who compared TRYM or other "excel" kits with "performance" kits?

The Eminence LAB12 is a good idea. If I am right it is professional speaker, can it be used for home audio? Does it have comparable sound with home audio subwoofers (L26ROY and others)? I need it mainly for music, not HT.

Du you think it is enough to place 1 sub next to the Tryms? As I have mentioned I can place the sub in the left corner of the living room. I have enclosed the layout of the living room!

Thanks!

Frank

Attachments

• img-Z14084205-0001.pdf
    121.1 KB · Views: 61
Hi,

The LAB12 is very similar to other high quality audio subwoofers,
and doesn't fit into the stereotyped typical pro audio driver bracket.

Read about a sub using it here :

Monolith+ DF+ and FF+

(A friend has one in his very expensive hifi, hardly breaks a sweat with all music.)

Improved version of :

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/Monolith Review.pdf

I'd expect it to be more than adequate. Probably be fine with 300W.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
I have moved the left trym to the corner where the sub should be placed. I have tried to simulate what happens if I put 1 sub in the corner. Now the situation is much more better than in the original position. Tha bass is very deep and strong. It seems if I have tryms in position as on the drawing in may previous post they lose on deep bass in my main listening position. It seems that the SUB will help.
Is it possible to compare the sound quality of W22 with L26ROY or LAB12 btw 30 and 100Hz? What is the better solution 2xL26ROY or 1xLAB12?

Hi,

I'd say two subs are always going to be better than one,
and a LAB12 with 50W would mean you've spent too much
on the bass driver, because you can't use its performance.

Nothing wrong at all with Seas sub drivers, take your pick.

IMO best is one 4 ohm sub amp, 8 ohm drivers and two sub cabinets.

Dayton do some good sub drivers too.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
I am planning to use approx.300W amplifier (not 50W), probably something like Hypex DA4. The reason why I have said only 1x LAB12 because it needs much more bigger enclosure than L26ROY and it is more dificult to place in the living room.
If I say 2x LAB12 vs 2x L26ROY or 1xLAB12 vs 1xL26ROY which is a winner. As I said earlier I will use it mainly for music. I like precise and tight bass.

THanks!

Frank

and a LAB12 with 50W would mean you've spent too much on the bass driver, because you can't use its performance.
Yes, that is a different way of stating the point I was making with the 50W example - a lot of people wouldn't even use the full capability of the driver. I did not mean to imply that I would recommend 50W.

IMO best is one 4 ohm sub amp, 8 ohm drivers and two sub cabinets.
I think that's a good way to go. Make two vs one the first priority, I say.

I think I will go with 2 SUBS placed under Tryms. I am planning to rebuild the system (similar like Focal Utopia line) and use plate amps installed in the enclosure. I use M-Audio FW410 as DA converter. I will try Frequency Allocator software to use M-Audio as active crossover. The question is if I use:
1. 2passive TRYMS + 2 active Subs
2. 3way active crossover (M-Audio) + 3 plate amps

Which one you prefer for this solution, LAB12 or L26ROY?

Frank

So, I have ordered 1x LAB12 and made a 90l vented box for testing. At the moment I have placed it to the left corner of the living room. The improvement on bass is huge compared to the Trym. Probably in the near future I will buy a second LAB12 and make a new box (similar to the Scala Utopia). I plan to use an active filter to separate LAB12. For bass I will use Hypex UCD400 and for Trym UCD400 or UCD180.
1. Do you think is it a good idea to keep Trym passive, or it is better to use 3way crossover and 3 amplifiers?
2. Which combination is better Lab12/Trym - UCD400/UCD400 or UCD400/UCD180 or it is enough to have UCD180/UCD180
3. Can I use the passive filter from Trym if I put the drivers in the Scala Utopia style box?
4. Which version of Hypex do you recommend ST or HG? Is ST enough for the bass?

Thanks.

Frank

After few weeks of listening I have decided to keem Tryms as they are and move them to an other smaller room. I will buy second LAB12 and build an active 3way speakers. I plan to cross it over at 80-100Hz. I consider the following drivers:
1. As midranges:
- 18Sound 6nd430
- Seas ER18
- Usher 8945P
2. As tweeter:
- SS 6600
- Seas Millenium
- Seas T25CF001
- Seas 27TDFC
- Vifa XT25
- Peerless HDS

Which speakers/combination you recommend?
Do you have any experience with Bass installed on the left/right side of the box?

For crossover I will use MiniDSP
Amplifier will be B100/B9 for bass and B100/L4 for midrange and tweeter audiodiyers.hu • Téma megtekintése - B9 er?sít? + variálható végfok kollekció

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.