Roksan Darius - most ultimate Approach for Stands - other Brands wanted to know

Unfortunately I know only this brand, which have realized this approach to obtain a lowest value of parasitic noise/sonic radiation (still an unwanted effect owing the use of usual MDF pressboards instead sandwich parts for chamber cabinet resp. box enclosure). - go also to
https://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2022/11/roksan-darius-loudspeakers.html
for further information.
Are there also other brands with this kind of fixing the speaker envelope ??

Also the kind of tweeter mounting with springs is of interest (never seen before and thereafter at other manufacturers).

Thank you for advices.

P.S. - for your information:
Also very special was the outdoor unit for the crossover network.
This loudspeaker was equipped with custom made transducers based on follow good known drivers:
1) KEF B200
http://www.zenn.com.sg/Marketplace ima…ch/KEF_B200.JPG
TL Links
2) Seas (similar to K26FX, but only single magnet, supronyl-cone+Ferrofluid)
either
http://www.seas.no/images/stories/vintag…h297_25tnft.pdf
or
http://www.seas.no/images/stories/vintag…h253_1_dome.pdf

Attachments

• Roksan Darius top-front without cover.jpg
    Roksan Darius top-front without cover.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 1,089
  • Roksan Darius top-front without cover-II.jpg
    Roksan Darius top-front without cover-II.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 954
  • Roksan Darius top-front without cover-III.jpg
    Roksan Darius top-front without cover-III.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 930
  • Roksan Darius top-front.jpg
    Roksan Darius top-front.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 862
  • Roksan Darius tweeter mounting.pdf
    131.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 41429496-198-640x853.jpg
    41429496-198-640x853.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 940952-9b8ce027-roksan-darius-speakers-for-sale.jpg
    940952-9b8ce027-roksan-darius-speakers-for-sale.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 81
  • roksan-darius-lautsprecher rear.jpg
    roksan-darius-lautsprecher rear.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 65
  • roksan-darius-lautsprecher.jpg
    roksan-darius-lautsprecher.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Heard this spks quite a while back.... Interesting design... but soundwise good but I won't say it's jaw dropping.. IIRC external crossovers wasn't that well optimised... tweeter is supended on springs.. you can easily try this out yourself.. the bass box is sealed .. bass was quite tight, but basswise not in the same class as the Linn Isobarik, which was the one to beat at that time .. some colourations in the mids as well..

I'd rate the Darius as something special, though I have no idea whether the stands and tweeter mountings were significant. I agree the mids were coloured, but there was something intensely alive about this speaker that really suited live jazz recordings in particular and was startlingly capable of absolutely recreating the sense of "being there". Very dynamic and forward but with impressive depth and completely free of the boxes. Bass was formidable for an 8" I thought - I suspected a hidden sub until I checked. I never heard them on voices, just hours of instrumental, but I think they'd quickly have become fatiguing on vocals. A bit like the Linn Sara - same B200 - but with imaging. However I could never disentangle the mid colouration from the electronics, which were Bryston .5B + 4B, and I know the 4B well as quite glary and grainy in the upper mid. However I'm sure some of it was the 8", every 8" mid/woofer I've ever heard in a 2 way struggles there to an extent. I believe there were several incarnations (at least 3) of the external crossover as Roksan struggled to find a better balance without losing the Darius strong lively character.

Roksan never repeated the stand or tweeter mounting arrangement of the Darius, and nobody else seems to have thought it worth stealing. Both must have added significantly to mfr. cost. Diminishing returns, at best, perhaps.

Hi,

I believe Roksan stole the idea for tweeter mounting somewhere else...

A long time ago here in Denmark one could build a speaker named HF275 (published in the Danish magazine high fidelity I believe) and I also remember a speaker using a Thiel ceramic tweeter in a similar arrangement. This goes some 15 years back maybe later.

I hardly believe one would gain anything good from the free hanging tweeter as the tweeter is still part of the larger resonating box. Maybe it is even worse?

The stand for the speaker... No comments... ;-)

Attachments

• naim ibl front view.jpg
    naim ibl front view.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Hi,

I believe Roksan stole the idea for tweeter mounting somewhere else...

A long time ago here in Denmark one could build a speaker named HF275 (published in the Danish magazine high fidelity I believe) and I also remember a speaker using a Thiel ceramic tweeter in a similar arrangement. This goes some 15 years back maybe later.

I hardly believe one would gain anything good from the free hanging tweeter as the tweeter is still part of the larger resonating box. Maybe it is even worse?

The stand for the speaker... No comments... ;-)
This speaker?
HF-275 Helios
HIFI4ALL Forum: Et rør(ende) setup
HIFI4ALL Forum: Stik mig et delefilter
http://www.lcaudio.dk/images/Filters/filter2.gif

HF275 Helios modifikation - recordere.dk forum

the best designed and built stands that I know oe are designed and manufactured in Calgary Alberta by Noel Nolan owner of Skylan Stands. Take a look at his site and fo to the euro site to see some nice quality photos. Best regards Moray James.
Maybe you mean this site:
Skylan Speaker Stands
nice stands. But what is here very special (compare to those from post #1 except picture/image number two) ??

I lived next door to TM when the company was located in Wales. I was therefore being a fellow Audiophile and having my younger brother work there a constant listening option for the company while they designed the Darius, TMS1 and the original Rok CD. Roksan had a properly damped and acoustically treated listening room while developing the Darius and I said at the time that may prove to be an issue because while TM wanted a completely inert environment - most people's living rooms are not. That without doubt led to its brighter than norm treble. I helped with the final incarnation (remember TM is an exceptionally bright and educated Mechanical Engineer - just look at the quality of the bearing and platter arrangement in a Roksan which made just about all decks pre SME look agricultural) of the spring tweeter which in mechanical terms along wih the external stand and crossover was genius - however the major issue to voicing such in my opinion was with the listening room. Decks and CD,s and Electronics got lots of different 'house room' around the town but taking on the Briks was a project that did not enjoy quite such easy access to different listening rooms. I do feel given the final incarnation also co-incited with the tying up of the Wales factory, the then fledgling PLC and the move to London and the new company and its focus on electronics being formed... Frankly this in my opinion was the major issue with the final development and tuning of the Darius and as such it is only really through the current TMS and other mechanical engineering related developments that we are seeing the real genius of he founder coming through. His remarkable grip on prototype mechanical engineering hi fi solutions that can be semi mass produced is always incredibly expensive and you need a foundation of funds to even be able to operate such. It took time to get there and who knows there may be another Darius someday. If anyone has a pair they wisk to move on particularly ones with the external stand - please do let me know

I am looking for the schematic of the very first version of the crossover network from Roksan's DARIUS. In the attachment some images.

Attachments

• DSCF6805.jpg
    DSCF6805.jpg
    1,010.9 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCF6801.jpg
    DSCF6801.jpg
    998.2 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCF6803.jpg
    DSCF6803.jpg
    996.3 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCF6806.jpg
    DSCF6806.jpg
    996.9 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCF6808.jpg
    DSCF6808.jpg
    998 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCF6810.jpg
    DSCF6810.jpg
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF6796.jpg
    DSCF6796.jpg
    996.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF6797.jpg
    DSCF6797.jpg
    979.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF6799.jpg
    DSCF6799.jpg
    806.2 KB · Views: 70

Attachments

• Roksan Darius Outdoor Crossover Network-I.jpg
    Roksan Darius Outdoor Crossover Network-I.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Roksan Darius Outdoor Crossover Network-III.jpg
    Roksan Darius Outdoor Crossover Network-III.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Roksan Darius Outdoor Crossover Network-II.jpg
    Roksan Darius Outdoor Crossover Network-II.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I only found this thread trying to look up details on a crossover I found.
(I purchased to use the box for my own crossover, but looked up information and found this)
I think this is an updated version, if it helps I could trace out circuit and values.
Images attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20211227_194346.jpg
    IMG_20211227_194346.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20211227_194245.jpg
    IMG_20211227_194245.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 99
Anybody know what tweeter is used in Roksan Darius?
what version ?
newer versions uses this tweeter:
https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?24341-FS-Seas-prestige-range-tweeters
old versions - which I know uses a version with same mechanical sizes of diaphragm/dome (26mm) bot other material - same as to find on the H225 sometimes called "Supronyl" but I don't know the correct term therefore- go to
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...as-k-19-f-h225-h-225-h0225-vifa-d19td.353654/
check also post #1.
greatest disadvantage of this old tweeter is the use of freeofluid.
ckeck out details to the used dome material in the old version in "excel millenium tweeter" under
http://www.seas.no/images/stories/diykits/thor/audioXpress_Thor_Review.pdf