Passive sub Xovers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I have some 10" Tannoy DCs and have been trying to add subs to them but my problem is the rolloff on the Tannoys crosses over the minimum Xover frequincy on the subs and so cannot get a flat response.
The Tannoys also have the tipical port hump in response around 50Hz so with the sub starting at 50Hz min this just increses this and it all becomes a bit boomy.
The sub also resonds above 50Hz as the rolloff is 12-18 db oct and this causes phase problems.
So one idea is to add some passive 2way sub xovers I have found between the subs and the Tannoys so roling the Tannoys off aroung 70Hz before the bass hump and giving me leway to tune the subs to match.

But my issue is will the caps that rolloff the Tannoys in the external Xovers affect the values of the caps in the Tannoys Xovers thus upseting the DC Xover points?

Any advice very wecome

Hi thanks
The Tannoys have passive radiators that I have removed and blocked off this just distroyed the whole sound from the bass/mid driver.
I have also tryed porting with verious port lenghts but that gust moves the problem elsewhere in the freq range.
I have also tryed the sub at different Xover points but this just detroyes the lovely flat detaild bass response of the Tannoy.
The subs work fine with a pair of mini speakers xover at 120Hz and sound good.
What I feel may be hapening is the sub driver and the Tannoy driver plus the ports and passive radiators may all be interacting causing peaks and hollows in the sound.
The Tannoys are still audible at 20Hz allbeit quiet but the drivers are still moving causing the subs driver and port to react.
I can be crude and use a grphic EQ to force the Tannoys to play more at the low range but other distortions ocur and I may kill them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.