Eminence Coaxial Towers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks Freddi,
I saw that, I was wondering if the OP deviated from the published XO as he is using a different driver than recommended. That pdf is downright blurry and I can barely make out the part specs. I got a request to design a dual Eminence 10 in driver tower speaker. I plan to use the Beta 10CX's as they have some nice specs in a MLTL. I think a stretched-out Karlsonator with dual 10CX's may actually be very cool (and loud).

What do you guys think about this XO and Peavey CD combo as used with the 10CX? Backed with measurements it looks very nice but is crossing much lower than recommended 2.5 to 3.5 kHz. Is this a good thing?
Eminence Beta 10CX by AmpsLab

Hello xrk971

I like to cross 10" between 1.5kHz-2kHz. Reason being beaming issues at higher crossover frq. Crossing lower also gives me the vocal presence that I prefer.

Regarding the 10CX Osprey, all measurements are with Impulse Response set at 5ms window. Smoothing is at default 1/6 octave. Measurements are accurate to 300-500Hz. Below that, the measurements are influenced by the room.

My Osprey project is still under development. The Peavey RX14 is the first compression driver I tested. I will be testing the Selenium D220Ti and Denovo's DNA-350 later. Once I decide on the best sound, I will do more measurements like dispersion, THD etc. My priority is firstly to determine which compression driver sounds best as well as the kind of technical issues that they present.

I intend to restart the 10CX development after completion of my other projects. The present one, Swift, is about finalized.

Next is a tweeter by Denovo. Preliminary test of their Mini Elliptical is very positive. I will be working on a 2-way, matching the Mini Elliptical with a HiVi M5a midwoofer. I think it can sound superb.

Regards
Mike

Regarding the 10CX Osprey, all measurements are with Impulse Response set at 5ms window. Smoothing is at default 1/6 octave. Measurements are accurate to 300-500Hz. Below that, the measurements are influenced by the room.
Alright, well I stand corrected on the window and I thought it was 1/3 octave, but in any case it doesn't look better than the Eminence measurement to me. The peak is the same, just smoothed. 1k-2k looks a little different, perhaps the baffle influence, or the measuring distance, or the mic not being exactly on the center axis, or the 1k peak is being reduced by smoothing and/or a taper on the time window. Anyway, as far as taking the horn lower than it should be able to go, I'm guessing if you measured the HF response on many axes, reasons not to do that might become clear. Maybe not, maybe it only affects power handling, but it seems unlikely.

although 2031p will make a serviceable graph, to my ears, its not much good - might work in a budget home studio - droning bass, poor on piano - sounds like hell on older classical recordings - here's just an on-axis view of one I measured vs a Yorkville C190 and a rough Nirvana Super10

Beta10cx is around 6dB less hot than Eminence's stronger 12cx.

maybe pulling 2031p away from wall boundaries would make it sound better - I only played with them for a day or so

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
They are kinda wimpy speakers, you only get so much for that kind of response at that price, after all. The Yorkville looks out of phase at its crossover point there. Might want to look into the HF polarity, unless you've just got a reflection in your measurement lucky enough to null at the crossover point.

Last edited:
Checking this discussion and the response graphs makes me wonder how important good measured performance really is!?!?!? One explanation is that fullranges and coaxials are (almost) pointsource but anyhow their on and offaxis measurements are often way out of acceptable standards (offaxis not shown here but I've seen many).

I am not a judge, it is okay to like any kind of response curve! Room characteristics and eg. tube amp and vinyl record as source are important factors too.

I asked about the Behringer comparison because I have a B 2031P and two ASD1001's. However I have no CX10's.
I've got some Eminence drivers ( 6 in, 8 in, 15 inch) and like them a lot but not sure what to make of them. They certainly make the sound more 'live' but can sound too 'up front' at times. They do sound very good on transients.

So I was trying to decide if I should get the CX10 . Boxed or dipole or some sort of TL ?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I asked about the Behringer comparison because I have a B 2031P and two ASD1001's. However I have no CX10's.
I've got some Eminence drivers ( 6 in, 8 in, 15 inch) and like them a lot but not sure what to make of them. They certainly make the sound more 'live' but can sound too 'up front' at times. They do sound very good on transients.

So I was trying to decide if I should get the CX10 . Boxed or dipole or some sort of TL ?

You can build a Pendragon Slayer with two CX10's http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/240591-slay-pen-dragon.html

Or go with a Karlsonator http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/239386-karlsonator-4.html#post3570914

I like how compact the Karlsonator is as it is folded.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.