Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Need a new dream to chase - help me find great Home theater DIY speakers to build.
Need a new dream to chase - help me find great Home theater DIY speakers to build.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Simple100 is offline Simple100
diyAudio Member

Default Need a new dream to chase - help me find great Home theater DIY speakers to build.

Hallo guys.

So im looking for a new dream to presu, i need a little dream in my belly to work on, so i came here to get this new dream.
Will be using thise for home theater and cds from my oppo BD95 - 70/30% use

Im looking for a whole new setup of speakers for my HT, i currently run 2 1/2 fronts " SEAS Excel element/ Fountek NeoCd3.0 tweeter" i really like the ribbon sound for movies. SR are M&K k4 tripoles and M&K s-85pro

I drive this whit a Onkyo NR 906 and a Yammaha MX-1000 power amp.
i will be upgrading this at some point to pre+ power 2/3ch + 5ch, haven't decided on anything yet..

Well to start of, i have seen speakers like the Super V Click the image to open in full size.

and others similar, and i have no clue what of this will work in a HT setup, so post away, post builds and ill comment back until i have found my new next set of speakers,.

ill add that i like the 2 1/2 - full range as fronts for movie sound, they just bring a bigger sound-stage imo. but im open for anything if i get a sound explanation on why x =y

Last edited by Simple100; 25th November 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 25th November 2012, 09:22 PM   #2
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I dont know anything about HT multi speaker setup, but I would expect dipoles could make things a bit 'messy'

how about this
http://speakerdesignworks.com/Tritrix_pg_1.html
Old 25th November 2012, 10:00 PM   #3
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

What kind of budget are you looking at?

I have been mulling around the possibility of Alpair 7 FAST for Main R&L with Alpair 7's Vented for Center and Rear R&L.
Old 25th November 2012, 10:02 PM   #4
WaVeInFoRm is offline WaVeInFoRm
diyAudio Member

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...rivers-14.html im just trying to show off my work, like everyone else, but it might give you a few ideas
Old 25th November 2012, 10:17 PM   #5
Soundtrackmixer is offline Soundtrackmixer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
I dont know anything about HT multi speaker setup, but I would expect dipoles could make things a bit 'messy'

how about this
Tritrix_pg_1
I must say I like this recommendation. Five of these(properly placed based on the ITU-B775 standards) and a few nice quality subs(distributed of course) would make not only a great hometheater, but a great 5.1 music system as well.
Old 25th November 2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Soundtrackmixer is offline Soundtrackmixer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaVeInFoRm View Post
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...rivers-14.html im just trying to show off my work, like everyone else, but it might give you a few ideas
I must say, the idea of three of your L/R mains, and four of your center speakers for surround is also a great idea. Dual center speakers have been shown to degrade both vocals and center imaging, so I am not so sold on the concept.
Old 25th November 2012, 10:41 PM   #7
WaVeInFoRm is offline WaVeInFoRm
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackmixer View Post
I must say, the idea of three of your L/R mains, and four of your center speakers for surround is also a great idea. Dual center speakers have been shown to degrade both vocals and center imaging, so I am not so sold on the concept.
3 of my l/r mains? and 4 of my center speakers? that doesn't quite make sense.

both sets of speakers are just wired as LR mains. the center ones have 3.3ohm resistance in line, so they just fill in the sound a bit. i don't use 5.1 because i mainly listen to music. they where primarily as a computer monitor stand. As i am only 25 and have a basic job, I am a bit limited for space

England like that, if you have a basic job you can only afford a room, sucks really

Last edited by WaVeInFoRm; 25th November 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 25th November 2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Melo theory is offline Melo theory  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaVeInFoRm View Post
Those look really great!
I think we should all compliment each others work a little more around here.
It's not easy to build this stuff.
Old 25th November 2012, 11:02 PM   #9
Melo theory is offline Melo theory  United States
diyAudio Member

My belief is that omni's give the best presentation for HT.
My little mirages sounded better that my big maggies.....for home theater.
Old 25th November 2012, 11:23 PM   #10
Simple100 is offline Simple100
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einric View Post
What kind of budget are you looking at?

I have been mulling around the possibility of Alpair 7 FAST for Main R&L with Alpair 7's Vented for Center and Rear R&L.
dono yet not above 1k$ a piece for hardware.

Need a new dream to chase - help me find great Home theater DIY speakers to build.Hide this!Advertise here!