Need a new dream to chase - help me find great Home theater DIY speakers to build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need a new dream to chase - help me find great Home theater DIY speakers to build.

Hallo guys.

So im looking for a new dream to presu, i need a little dream in my belly to work on, so i came here to get this new dream.
Will be using thise for home theater and cd´s from my oppo BD95 - 70/30% use

Im looking for a whole new setup of speakers for my HT, i currently run 2 1/2 fronts " SEAS Excel element/ Fountek NeoCd3.0 tweeter" i really like the ribbon sound for movies. SR are M&K k4 tripoles and M&K s-85pro

I drive this whit a Onkyo NR 906 and a Yammaha MX-1000 power amp.
i will be upgrading this at some point to pre+ power 2/3ch + 5ch, haven't decided on anything yet..

Well to start of, i have seen speakers like the Super V
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and others similar, and i have no clue what of this will work in a HT setup, so post away, post builds and ill comment back until i have found my new next set of speakers,.

ill add that i like the 2 1/2 - full range as fronts for movie sound, they just bring a bigger sound-stage imo. but im open for anything if i get a sound explanation on why x =y

Last edited:
I dont know anything about HT multi speaker setup, but I would expect dipoles could make things a bit 'messy'

how about this
Tritrix_pg_1

I must say I like this recommendation. Five of these(properly placed based on the ITU-B775 standards) and a few nice quality subs(distributed of course) would make not only a great hometheater, but a great 5.1 music system as well.

I must say, the idea of three of your L/R mains, and four of your center speakers for surround is also a great idea. Dual center speakers have been shown to degrade both vocals and center imaging, so I am not so sold on the concept.

3 of my l/r mains? and 4 of my center speakers? that doesn't quite make sense.

both sets of speakers are just wired as LR mains. the center ones have 3.3ohm resistance in line, so they just fill in the sound a bit. i don't use 5.1 because i mainly listen to music. they where primarily as a computer monitor stand. As i am only 25 and have a basic job, I am a bit limited for space

England like that, if you have a basic job you can only afford a room, sucks really

Last edited:
I must say, the idea of three of your L/R mains, and four of your center speakers for surround is also a great idea. Dual center speakers have been shown to degrade both vocals and center imaging, so I am not so sold on the concept.

i like the fact they are 3 way, and they look nice imo, its just hmm i already have sears units.

but keep posting i dono what happens, as i said i need a dream project to go around working on from time to time.

just read a tread saying thise TANG BAND W4-1757SB was little firecrackers for movies.

Last edited:
3 of my l/r mains? and 4 of my center speakers? that doesn't quite make sense.

Well, if you are looking to do the ultimate homeTHEATER(not a 5.1 system based around a small panel) then three of your L/R speakers(at left,center, and right positions across the front) makes perfect sense. And since this is the ultimate theater, you will need 7.1 - which means two left and right side speakers, and two left/right rear wall speakers. :D. We filthy Americans do our hometheaters in a big way;)

both sets of speakers are just wired as LR mains. the center ones have 3.3ohm resistance in line, so they just fill in the sound a bit. i don't use 5.1 because i mainly listen to music. they where primarily as a computer monitor stand. As i am only 25 and have a basic job, I am a bit limited for space

England like that, if you have a basic job you can only afford a room, sucks really

Yes I completely understand. When you see survey's that say the average American television set is 50", and the average european is 36-40", I understand your boggle.

For HT.......Zaph ZA5.5s

thanks ill Google research them, i will look at everything posted, if you got experiences whit them please put a breef info down ;) thanks guys

so far the fullrangers from
Markaudio Alpair
TANG BAND W4 /W3

have peeked my interrest, so do the SEOS Deltalite-12 but i know nothing about the sound on them they new ish and i dont know the DENOVO DNA-360 COMPRESSION DRIVER used either

My belief is that omni's give the best presentation for HT.
My little mirages sounded better that my big maggies.....for home theater.

When you consider the fact that movie soundtracks are mixed with controlled dispersion speakers, omni directionals might pose some accuracy issues spatially. The best presentation of movie soundtracks would have the three front speaker that are directional controlled, and rear speakers that are wide dispersion speakers. This setup will reduce the spatial errors you have between the mix room, and your room.

Well, if you are looking to do the ultimate homeTHEATER(not a 5.1 system based around a small panel) then three of your L/R speakers(at left,center, and right positions across the front) makes perfect sense. And since this is the ultimate theater, you will need 7.1 - which means two left and right side speakers, and two left/right rear wall speakers. :D. We filthy Americans do our hometheaters in a big way;)

Yes I completely understand. When you see survey's that say the average American television set is 50", and the average european is 36-40", I understand your boggle.

ha ha that made me laugh. im to tired to think of anything else to say right now, i will reply tomorrow

these are what most stupid English peaople call a home theater system....

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search...xx/home+theatre+sound+system/xx-criteria.html

Last edited:
When you consider the fact that movie soundtracks are mixed with controlled dispersion speakers, omni directionals might pose some accuracy issues spatially. The best presentation of movie soundtracks would have the three front speaker that are directional controlled, and rear speakers that are wide dispersion speakers. This setup will reduce the spatial errors you have between the mix room, and your room.

I can appreciate your input as a sound engineer, but my belief is that ILD and ITD crosstalk due to HRTF is detrimental to sound quality. If multichannel must be used, it is best to induce more comb filtering from multiple reflections as would be the case with omni's.
I'ts a matter of making the speakers less accurate for the benefit of the whole.
This is all my opinion of course :D

Spend some time looking at the above, and the "Econowave" designs in general. High efficiency, controlled dispersion mains + multiple subs seems to me to be the way to go if you have enough room.

Bill

yes the 2 way seos 12/15 seems nice, theres a few diffrent boxes ppl made, whats the diffrence ?

SEOS Deltalite-12 Kit - SEOS? Speaker Kits - The SEOS? Project DIY Sound Group

all sealed whit brackets inside
d1c0d1dc_IMG_0746.jpeg

2 sealed compartments and a port in the bottom
fdec4a67_20120929_151241.jpeg

i am wondering if im gonna miss anything , by going for this type of design vs a 2 1/2 way or 3 way speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.