What is simplest way to route speaker baffles?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in process of building my first (serious) set of speakers in a woodworking class.I was wondering if there wasn't a simpler way of routing speaker baffles than making larger template-guides for the router to follow around. I mean you have to make a precise template then clamp this precisely centered on the baffle etc etc.

there is a circle cutting jig -- fits onto the router and at the center of the circle -- just adjust for the radius you want -- don't cut all the way through, however -- you want to leave a little bit of the veneer at the bottom of the cut so that the center stays in the center as you finish the cut. when done just knock out the circle. i am pretty sure that these are carried at Home Depot and Woodworker's Warehouse (you must have some DIY superstores in Ireland, don't you?).

there are chamfer router bits with a ball bearing edge guide which allow you to put a bevelled edge on the cut.

if you are just making one set of speakers, ordinary steel bits are OK but the investment in carbide bits is well worth it if you are going to do a lot of routing or cabinet work.

Yes I think I have seen those. But what if the radius of the circle is less or equal to the radius of the bit to the outside edge of the router?A lot of routers seem to have like an 6/7inch diameter. How do you cut or rebate holes for smaller mid/woofers and tweeters? Does the jig allow for that?

protos said:
Yes I think I have seen those. But what if the radius of the circle is less or equal to the radius of the bit to the outside edge of the router?A lot of routers seem to have like an 6/7inch diameter. How do you cut or rebate holes for smaller mid/woofers and tweeters? Does the jig allow for that?

The Jasper model 400 allows you to cut circles from about 1 inch up to 7 inches.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You can always make a jig like I did... - A nail in a strip of wood bolted to the router.

you want to leave a little bit of the veneer at the bottom of the cut so that the center stays in the center as you finish the cut.
Good advice (I always learn the hard way!), and if you're flush mounting the driver, then I would also advise cutting the recess first.

Attachments

• routerjig.jpg
    routerjig.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 598
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.