Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Interesting read I found on Lossy Cabinet designs by Harbeth
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2019, 01:25 AM   #221
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Art Lugwig's efforts: Loudspeaker construction

GM
Old 9th November 2019, 03:40 AM   #222
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMcK View Post
Yes, that BBC study. I'm not sure the keenest eye could be sure they understand what they found.

My not very keen eye did notice that those rather similar FR and distortion plots are not speaker outputs. Surprised? Nooooooo. They are figure-8 mic readings of the panels with the mic nulling the driver output so as to emphasize the panel sound from nearly touching the panel.

I am amazed that the panels have such great FR and distortion - and that their various treatment experiments (that nobody can be sure quite what they were doing) made so little difference.

What's so hard about sticking a mic in front of a speaker with and without good bracing or damping and seeing if it makes much difference?

B.
Old 9th November 2019, 03:46 AM   #223
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

A mic doesn't suffer from masking...
Old 9th November 2019, 08:04 PM   #224
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Great to see everybody taking an interest in this old Harbeth thread again.

Alan Shaw is just nuts about speakers. Great cabinets, great drivers, complex computer modelled crossovers. Harbeth was Dudley Harwood's baby originally, and Alan Shaw bought into it.

Whatever he is doing, people pay the big bucks for it, like £4,000 for a two-way and rarely complain.

The Monitor 30.1 is the classic polycone 8" bass plus metal SEAS tweeter. AFAIK, it crosses at an outrageously high 4kHz. That takes an in-house polycone 8" woofer, the Radial II, with no nasty breakups.

Click the image to open in full size.

TBH, my own enthusiasms are not from a wildly different place:

Happen to be made from chipboard or MDF. And, in fact, Harbeth are not averse to MDF or chipboard.

Not many people know this, but the best fighter-bomber of WW2 was the De Havilland Mosquito. Twin Rolls-Royce engines aka "drivers" and marine plywood construction. Sounds unlikely, but there it was.

Light and rigid airframe, albeit with a tendency to crack and shatter if landed heavily. Bit like his big Monitor 40 3-way loudspeaker:

Most everything you need to know about lossy cabinets in one picture. The reason the front baffle is screwed on with a bit of rubber strip damping, rather than glued is the "cracked bell" idea. A cracked bell doesn't ring too well.

Last edited by system7; 9th November 2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10th November 2019, 01:17 AM   #225
critofur is offline critofur  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
In 60 years of knocking my knuckles on every cab I met, I can't recall seeing measurements on the subject of enclosure vibration. Perhaps just my memory.

I believe all the heavy-duty opinions in this thread should await somebody showing the evidence one way or the other. Seems like a trivial experiment to measure a cab without bracing and then add the bracing.

The evidence must be out there, eh. Can't anybody post links?

BTW, used quarter-inch plywood on my 17-foot 12 Hz labyrinth. The cab does vibrate. So do the walls in my room.

B.
Talking about measuring enclosure vibration, then bringing up your bass speaker?

Cabinet stiffness helps bass response but enclosure vibrations are a higher frequency/midrange problem. People have indeed spent a *lot* of time measuring enclosure panel resonances both objectively, and, in listening tests comparing cabinet "A" to "B" to look for audible subjective differences.

Whether you like "A" or "B" better is significant and important, but, must be done in blind testing for valid results. Harmon Audio Group has an awesome speaker listening test setup.
Old 10th November 2019, 02:15 AM   #226
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by critofur View Post
....People have indeed spent a *lot* of time measuring enclosure panel resonances both objectively, and, in listening tests comparing cabinet "A" to "B" to look for audible subjective differences
Spare us the sermon, just show the data*.

B.
* not the data on how the walls shake something awful, but the data on the speaker sound. Shaking might matter a lot, a little, or hardly at all... let's see the data.

Last edited by bentoronto; 10th November 2019 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10th November 2019, 07:08 PM   #227
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I don't know what the heck I am talking about sometimes, but as an engineer I think that light and rigid is cheaper than heavy and floppy in responsiveness...

Consider plywood's practical application, not only to speaker cabinets, or WW2 fighter-bombers. I'd always trust beautiful aesthetics to the Italians. They grow up with this stuff all around them.

Not many people know this, but the best speedboat in the World is the Italian Riva Aquarama. Built of plywood with all the crossbracing that boats need when buffeted by waves. Twin Lamborghini engines, the aquatic equivalent of Scanspeak. A thing of great beauty.

Perhaps there are two schools of thought on this. Maybe Carbon-fibre is a good modern light and rigid material for the outer frame. Maybe nature has evolved near-perfect wood for its trees which must survive heavy stress in windy winters. See, wood must bend, wood must be strong.

I do notice that a "Retro" Stealth Bomber might as well be made of plywood. But, TBH, I can't design a wooden engine to keep it off the radar screen...

Maybe the Lamborghini V12 was a worthy derivative of the Rolls Royce Merlin V12.

Light and fast is the predator approach. Slow and heavy is their Prey! How it works. And we know who generally wins.
Old 10th November 2019, 07:48 PM   #228
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
Light and fast is the predator approach. Slow and heavy is their Prey! How it works. And we know who generally wins.
Generally, it's the latter - I've been watching David Attenburgh!
Old 10th November 2019, 08:11 PM   #229
Robbintip is online now Robbintip  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Riva Blue is perhaps one of the nicest colors I ever saw on a car (or boat, for that matter), my monitor doesn't do it any justice. I remember seeing some Lamborghini-engined boat on topgear?, might have been a Riva? It had one of the V12's engineered to invert it's rotation, counteracting centrifugal forces acting on the mass of the boat.

Some questions arise..
At which point (stiffnes) would you consider speaker cabinet walls as another effective mass (spring mass system) and worth the time tuning its properties considering its non-linear stiffness coefficient?

For higher frequency duty, do the walls need to have highly conductive properties? Is inner damping even wanted?:

It is perhaps possible to tune the side walls of a cabinet in a way, that it radiates sound waves to cancel/smoothen diffraction patterns radiated by the front baffle edges? Would something like that function at all, accoustically speaking, and if it does: would side mounted drivers be a more efficiŽnt approuch for someone as simple minded as me?
Old 10th November 2019, 08:48 PM   #230
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The general public have become so accustomed to hearing the box resonances that are present in the the majority of affordable commercial loudspeakers that they regard the sound they produce as normal.

Although open baffle speakers may be regarded by the majority as being lightweight in bass reproduction, their aficionados would describe box speakers as sounding blurry and coloured by comparison.

Interesting read I found on Lossy Cabinet designs by HarbethHide this!Advertise here!