Driver distorts at high volumes....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...I dont mean when I overdrive the speakers- but my right Peerless driver has developed a distortion, almost like a voice coil rub. Its most noticeable on certain vocals (female particularly) when played loud as well as some synthesizer tracks. I do drive these speakers pretty hard. I played the driver outside of the baffle in free air to see if it had any effect. The distortion was still there in one of the drivers. Very annoying and very obvious. Is this voice coil rub?

Yep if the woofer makes a rubbing sound the voice coil former is squashed caused by over excersion 'bottoming out'.
And sometimes voice coil rub is an overheated voice coil where the former has expanded or the actually voice coil hascome unstuck.Where as a particly burnt voice coil would make a constant noise at any volume like a 'rasping scraping sound'.

If the speaker overheats it shows the amp is either pushing it too hard above it's rated power or the amp has been clipping.

Over excersion can happen when the amp is not clipping or over driving the speaker.For example a speaker which a small x mech[maximum linear excersion] driven hard a heavy bass signal,especially if eq and/or bass tone controls are boosted can lead to over excersion.Over excersion the voice coil former[the cylinder the wire is wound round],cone,surround,and spider can tear.
If you love a massive amount of a lot of bass then buy a woofer with a long throw or long excersion[same thing],but if it's a heat problem then you need a woofer with a kapton/black ironised aluminium former and a big voicecoil [2 inch and over].
Since paper or composition former is no good for high power use or strong bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.