Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool
rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2016, 11:10 PM   #981
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierry38 View Post
Hi Thomas,

it can be hard for a single driver (with limited bandwidth)
Why don't apply directly the target from an another instance,in a free bank (once the measurement is flattened) ?
Hi Thierry,

You are absolutely right
In fact the compensate "trick" applies when you load an existing target curve (measurement) and want to "apply" it on your correction.
In that case you will want to "flatten" that curve using EQs and compensate filters, and then "reverse" them and apply those on your actual correction.

I also used that trick to generate the minimum-phase response of a measurement mic calibration file which only had magnitude data.

Last edited by pos; 21st April 2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old 21st April 2016, 11:13 PM   #982
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark100 View Post
My use of 'compensate' so far, has been to think of it in the same way as the "Box" and "Subsonic" fields work in the Minimum-Phase Filters Linearization tab.

Is this a proper use of compensate?

I guess understanding how 'compensate' works, along with the comment that phase eq should not be needed driver by driver, is what I'm trying to get a grip on....
There are many possible use of the "compensate" filters:
-compensate for an actual protection filter in the measurement
-"delete" and existing rolloff and replace it with your target (some sort of generalized LT)
-set an inverted target and try to reach it (house curves, mic calibration, etc.)

etc.

And of course if some of these cases you will want to actually remove the compensate filter before generating the impulse...
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:51 PM   #983
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

Thomas, thank you very much for your replies....they help !
I'm getting better at limited bandwidth, driver by driver tuning using rePhase...or at least measurements are verifying things are improving.

Here's a measurement indoors, horn loaded sub and mid, coaxial compression.
6144 taps on sub and mid, 2048 on HF and VHF. (Aug9 date was Apr9...too much wine haha). x-over all 48LR's @100, 650, and 6300.

I can't believe how relatively easy it is to tune with flat phase, compared to trial and error of matching phase slopes using IRR. Looking forward to further tuning outdoors..

Again, rePhase totally rocks...thank you !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inside2 full aug9.JPG (193.8 KB, 162 views)
Old 22nd April 2016, 05:38 PM   #984
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

mark100,

Your plot show nice data having a listening position in same spot as where mic was placed must sound pretty good.
Old 22nd April 2016, 06:13 PM   #985
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRTT View Post
mark100,

Your plot show nice data having a listening position in same spot as where mic was placed must sound pretty good.
Thanks BYRTT !

I tune to outdoors and seldom measure inside. But I was dying to see how well rePhase and 6144 taps could do at phase flattening below 100hz.
Frankly, I was a little surprised to see fairly decent indoor flatness at lower freqs. Lucky mic position I guess...

The phase flattening is what really has me psyched..can't wait for outdoor testing...

It's PA gear..sweet spot is 20 meters wide
Old 22nd April 2016, 08:50 PM   #986
diyAudio Member

The curves look nice indeed!
Care to share some pictures of your rig?
Old 22nd April 2016, 08:58 PM   #987
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark100 View Post
I can't believe how relatively easy it is to tune with flat phase, compared to trial and error of matching phase slopes using IRR
3 or 4 way IIR crossovers are indeed very difficult to get right, because you cannot simply shoot for textbook LR acoustical filters for each of your drivers, as you have to take into account the influence of each crossover point on the other channels: Woofer crossover & offset
Old 23rd April 2016, 12:13 PM   #988
skyunlimited is offline skyunlimited  Germany
diyAudio Member

Ok. I accept that there will be now display of the Target Curve in near Future or never.
For Noobs like me it is very hard to work with compensate filters etc. In fact I do not understand how this should work and i did not find an example where these Things are explained the way i could do it on my own. (Perhaps i am getting to old, perhaps my English is too bad ; School´s out for over 30 Years now, perhaps a combination of all of these Things )

What a about the possibility of importing the EQ-Text File from RoomEQWizard?
(That is what I am doing quite often, let REW "suggest" some Filters and copy them manually to rePhase)
rePhase will stay completly "manual" and Noobs like me could use automatic Functions.

I am using rePhase to build Impulse Filters for Brutefir it is a fantastic Tool for me right now and the only reason why there is a WindowsVM on my Linux Desktop. (Yes, this is a silent hint, that I wish rePhase will be ported to Linux sometimes.....)

Regards
Old 23rd April 2016, 03:57 PM   #989
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
The curves look nice indeed!
Care to share some pictures of your rig?
Thx! Somebody wrote a good curve fixer

Here's a pict of the boxes that go with the measurements...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gear mess r.jpg (162.2 KB, 131 views)
Old 23rd April 2016, 04:05 PM   #990
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
3 or 4 way IIR crossovers are indeed very difficult to get right, because you cannot simply shoot for textbook LR acoustical filters for each of your drivers, as you have to take into account the influence of each crossover point on the other channels: Woofer crossover & offset
Yes, fortunately for me in the case of this box, all the heavy lifting was done by a very gifted, sharing designer. He's tuned it the point of near perfect impulse response, as well as very good off-axis performance, using Lake processing.
I've just copied his suggested crossover points....https://soundforums.net/threads/1207...ree-DIY-Mid-Hi

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering toolHide this!Advertise here!