Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2013, 02:07 PM   #511
kaameelis is offline kaameelis  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Default rePhase measurement import fail format

What format files can be imported to rePhase in measurement import?
I had txt file frequency, magnitude, phase separated with "," decimal separator is ".", but only frequency and magnitude are imported to rePhase, no phase data. Fail is exported from HolmImpulse. Phase export settings in HolmImpulse are Degrees and Unwrap phase. I tested also Unwrap phase not selected, same result, no phase imported to rePhase.
Old 19th October 2013, 02:10 PM   #512
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Use a space as the separator. No header. Choose "unwrap phase" in the export dialog.
Works fine for me. See below. Also attached is a sample text file from HOLM that should work for rePhase
Attached Images
File Type: png export-1.png (7.5 KB, 496 views)
File Type: png export-2.png (11.4 KB, 493 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt target response.txt (44.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 19th October 2013, 02:16 PM   #513
diyAudio Member

Thanks, space separator made phase import working.
Old 19th October 2013, 02:18 PM   #514
diyAudio Moderator

Excellent!
Old 22nd October 2013, 04:02 PM   #515
diyAudio Member

One more question.
Can be rePhase result get as set of biquads?
Or is existing precise and easy way of converting rePhase result to set of biquads?
Old 22nd October 2013, 04:38 PM   #516
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

No it cannot.
Biquads can only model a restricted set of minimum-phase responses, whereas FIR let you model any amplitude and phase response.

If you want to generate biquads ACD tools are probably your best bet.
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:23 AM   #517
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
Hi Peter,

Not a stupid question at all, and in fact I am really sorry I did not write any documentation for this software

First, the comparison between the DCX and the Dolby Lake was a bit of a joke: you *can* obtain a linear phase filter (and acoustical response) with a DCX and rephase, but you will never get the audio quality (better DACs, better filtering algorithms, etc..) and power (brickwall filters, arbitrary slopes and eq, ...) of a Lake with a DCX.

Still, you will indeed be able to linearize the phase shifts introduced by the IIR filters in the DCX (and drivers/box) with rephase, and get good results (especially if you have crossover points under 1khz, which are more sensitive to phase shifts).
To do so you will only need to dial the filters you are using in your DCX in the "filter linearization" tab in rePhase, and generate an impulse for these (ideally you will want to dial your acoustical filters, not only the electrical ones...).
This is similar to phase arbitrator (which happen to have a user manual )

Then in order to use the generated convolution (carrying your phase correction), you will need to find a way to introduce a convolution engine in you audio chain, before the DCX.
If your source is a PC (or Mac) then it should be easy enough: there is a lot a convolution plugin that you can use, depending on your favorite audio player).
If you do not use a PC things will be more difficult: you will have to introduce a piece of hardware to do the convolution.
The minidsp openDRC is currently the only device (that I am aware of) that can do such convolutions.
May I suggest that posts like this be added to the readme at Sourceforge?

I noticed that there aren't a lot of downloads for this software, and some instructions would certainly help

I spent about 60 minutes studying various threads just trying to figure out what it is and what h/w is required to run it.
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:33 AM   #518
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Second that. I've used it before but I'm scrambling every time I open it up. Write something man!
Old 23rd October 2013, 03:56 AM   #519
diyAudio Moderator

I've been testing this again tonight. Got good measurements and an impulse that seems correct. Been switching it in and out.

On my system is seems very dependent on the recording whether I hear it or not. Hard to predict. When I do hear it, it's always a similar effect. The linear phase gives me a stronger center phantom image and tends to move voices forward and slightly up. Space seems a bit better defined. If there are drums they seem more dynamic, live.

On some recordings I don't hear it at all. I've tried jazz, pop, rock, dance, classical, opera and lounge. Opera and classical seem to consistently reveal the difference, other genres are hit or miss. I can understand why some people say phase isn't audible, or at least not noticeable. It's not night and day, but sometimes a nice improvement. Further listening is in order.
Old 28th October 2013, 05:28 PM   #520
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
May I suggest that posts like this be added to the readme at Sourceforge?

I noticed that there aren't a lot of downloads for this software, and some instructions would certainly help

I spent about 60 minutes studying various threads just trying to figure out what it is and what h/w is required to run it.
Hi Patrick,

rePhase has already been downloaded more than 2700 times in the last 14 months. A result I am quite content with considering the complexity and relative peculiarity of the subject at hand...

The post you are quoting only covers one aspect of rephase (phase linearisation of minimum phase crossover).
You can also use rephase to do the actual filtering (and box/driver phase and amplitude linarisation) using one convolution per channel.
You can use either hardware (openDRC and miniSHARC) or software solutions (plugins, mediaplayers, or even offline conversion) to apply your corrections.

The first post of this thread (linked in the presentation page on sourceforge) is kept up to date and tries to cover all the possible use and link to useful resources.

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering toolHide this!Advertise here!