Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2020, 04:55 AM   #2921
gyfhgyfh is offline gyfhgyfh
diyAudio Member

Anechoic Chamber measurement is accurate,Non-anechoic chamber has ROOM-Mode.
Old 26th January 2020, 10:02 AM   #2922
wesayso is online now wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Do you have one to listen in?
Old 26th January 2020, 02:13 PM   #2923
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesayso View Post
Do you have one to listen in?
Yep, and it's the biggest room in my house....i call it the 'outsideroom'

But kidding aside...as you know, i do like to adjust FR outdoors as flat as possible (mag and phase), as a 'best effort' quasi-anachoic tuning.

Then, when i move in to a room, i like to use the impulse response to find and treat reflections.
And use RT60 to even room reverb.

That done, I don't like to use any further EQ for speaker tuning, other than maybe a little parametric for knocking down room modes
(which i tend to think of as room tuning as opposed to speaker tuning, more similar to reflections, RT60, absorption/diffusion, etc)

All that said, i find great use for EQ in setting listening preferences, via a static house curve , and also for on-the-fly track-by-track tonal adjustments.

Just my way of trying to separate variables and address them, in a way that seems logical to me at least..
Whatever works best for us, huh?

The separate EQ banks in rephase are a great boon to splitting out EQ tasks imo/ime. (other than on-the-fly of course).

That's one advantage of active IIR over FIR we almost never hear discussed, the difficulty to make real time adjustments with FIR.

Last edited by mark100; 26th January 2020 at 02:15 PM.
Old 31st January 2020, 06:30 AM   #2924
emailtim is online now emailtim  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
Hello emailtim

rePhase is agnostic to the measurement process itself, so any specific rule regarding measurement will have to do with the measurement software itself (things like sampling rate, calibration, gating, etc.).

The higher the measurement sampling rate the larger the bandwidth on which you will be able to see the result of your correction, but 48kHz is enough for any practical purpose here. This is only a visual clue.

In any case the measurement sampling rate (and other parameters) has no relation with the FIR sampling rate. You can even build your FIR without relying on any measurement.
Thanks for the information, very helpful.
Old 18th February 2020, 07:53 PM   #2925
siddharthdas is offline siddharthdas
diyAudio Member

I have been looking for a clear manual to use REW+rephase to build a fully digital 2X4-way crossover to implement using the built-in convolver in Jriver. Alas, I cannot find step-by-step directions to do that after extensive searching. Any pointers will be much appreciated. To be sure I have gone though the tutorials on rephase.org, and http://jimmy.thomas.free.fr/Jriver/T...olmImpulse.pdf. It appears for someone looking into this for the first time, a "cookbook" would be super helpful, starting with measuring individual drivers in REW, and going from there to generate a full crossover. For now, I am totally clueless. The extent of my skills is limited to generating full sweep measurements of my active 2X4-way system (I use a minidsp 2x10hd) and correcting response peaks. I want to experiment with replacing the entire crossover with FIR+IIR filters and run them within Jriver via a 8 channel USB dac.

Last edited by siddharthdas; 18th February 2020 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Added to the original question.
Old 18th February 2020, 08:44 PM   #2926
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

All of the steps you mention are individual and unless someone has done exactly what you want to do it is hard to get a full step by step list of instructions, and even if you got them the results might not be what you expected.

Learning to measure a speaker correctly does take some trial and error and experience and is not that easy to condense into a one liner due to all the variables involved.

My advice is to look into Vituixcad, there is a very extensive guide on how to measure and get the raw data you need there. You can use it create your crossovers and simulate the result. You can take that and create those crossovers with rephase.

To get multichannel convolution going in Jriver needs a configuration file plenty of information available on how to do that.

If you want an integrated solution that does it all for you then look at Acourate or Audiolense they can do it all for you by selecting the options you want, generate the convolution files and a configuration for use. You just have to pay the price for someone to have put it all together for you.

Mitch Barnett has written a few articles at Audiophile style / Computer audiophile that run through using those programs, well worth reading in any case.
Old 21st February 2020, 07:44 PM   #2927
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry for this question - I'm configuring a new computer.

Are rePhase downloads now administered via Dropbox? It looks like a classic re-direction with malware scam...

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 2-21-20 at 2.35 PM.jpg (620.1 KB, 222 views)
Old 24th February 2020, 08:26 PM   #2928
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello francolargo

Yes, rePhase binaries have been stored on my personal dropbox repository ever since the project left sourceforge.
The fact that dropbox now shows a warning page is quite new though.
Old 26th February 2020, 08:56 AM   #2929
thierry38 is offline thierry38  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Thomas,
Why don't use Google drive ? (if you have Android/Google account).
Old 26th February 2020, 07:20 PM   #2930
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Thierry,
I like the direct seamless download behavior of dropbox (well, looks like it does not work anymore, at least not for that particular file...).
Not sure I can do this with google drive but I will check.

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering toolHide this!Advertise here!