Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool
rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2019, 09:22 PM   #2811
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello serko70

I cannot help you on the Roon integration part, but the REW measurement import part is extensively covered in several tutorials, links to many of which you will find on the rephase.org page.
Old 7th November 2019, 12:22 AM   #2812
falvespinto is offline falvespinto  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I am rather new to Rephase and REW and have been trying to linearise my passive speakers. I am using vs 1.4.3 of Rephase and 5,19 of REW. I have read some tutorials but cannot export the automated EQ from REW to Rephase as .txt files, it isnīt generated in the expected format. What can I do apart from copying all the settings by hannd and inserting them on the paragraphic eq ?

As an aside, and probably the wrong place to ask, but as I try to time-align in REW all the measurements without windowing using the " estimate IR delay" and then accepting the shift , I see that not only some donīt land on the first big step response peak / zero ref. time, the ones that donīt are at diferent, and sometimes largish time distances from the relevant peak...Then if I manually shift them to properly line 0 ref time precisely with the peak often the zero, dotted red line doesnīt line with zero time and the peaks curve sort of "wiggle" and slightly change shape as I try to precisely get the zero on top of the peak...Is this normal, am I doing the alignement right or should I leave it at where the estimated time shift lands?

Thanks, newbie posting here, if infringing normal forum behaviour, let me know, and thanks in advance for any input.
Old 8th November 2019, 05:34 PM   #2813
PMental is offline PMental  Sweden
diyAudio Member

To get the correct (XML) format for the export make sure you use the "Save filters to file" option in the EQ window under "Filter Tasks".
Old 9th November 2019, 12:49 AM   #2814
falvespinto is offline falvespinto  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Right, thanks PMental.

Anyway, I am afraid to get the phase all screwed up on REW with the impulse response delay estimation and the problems described, it doesn't even seem to settle in the same peaks, sometimes tbe first, others on the second, so I am not sure I am getting proper summation of responses when I vector averge them before applying smoothing and equing the result to export to Rephase..
Old 9th November 2019, 01:04 AM   #2815
thierry38 is offline thierry38  France
diyAudio Member

Is it you Thomas ?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th November 2019, 03:35 AM   #2816
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falvespinto View Post
Right, thanks PMental.

Anyway, I am afraid to get the phase all screwed up on REW with the impulse response delay estimation and the problems described, it doesn't even seem to settle in the same peaks, sometimes tbe first, others on the second, so I am not sure I am getting proper summation of responses when I vector averge them before applying smoothing and equing the result to export to Rephase..
If you can take a screenshot of the differences in impulse timing it will be easier to help.

The time align function will usually get them within one sample delay, it is possible to get them closer but the difference only shows above 10Khz due to the wavelengths being so short. This shows the difference blue is REW alignment red is manual. 5dB per grey line. Not really anything to worry about.

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool-screen-shot-2019-11-09-11-58-31-am-png
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 11.58.31 am.png (114.9 KB, 387 views)
Old 10th November 2019, 06:46 AM   #2817
emailtim is offline emailtim  United States
diyAudio Member

Question about @SwissBear's Tutorial PDF. In the last step, it appears there are 3 files for each channel.

1) Averaged measurement file exported from REW (as .txt).
2) AutoEQ file exported from REW (as .xml).
3) Excess Phase file exported from REW (as .txt).

As I read it, it then instructs importing all 3 of these files into rePhase to generate the final convolver file (Averaged Measurement, AutoEQ into "Parametric Gain EQ" and Excess Phase into minimum phase corrections).

How can you load the Excess Phase (.txt) file into rePhase's minimum phase corrections? I only see a way to load the REW AutoEQ and averaged measurement file.

There is an "import REW filter settings (.xml)" pulldown menu option under "Parametric Gain EQ", but I don't see an equivalent for the excess phase import.

I might be missing something.

TIA

Using:
  • rePhase 1.4.3
  • REW V5.20 Beta 27

Last edited by emailtim; 10th November 2019 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10th November 2019, 09:35 AM   #2818
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailtim View Post

As I read it, it then instructs importing all 3 of these files into rePhase to generate the final convolver file (Averaged Measurement, AutoEQ into "Parametric Gain EQ" and Excess Phase into minimum phase corrections).

How can you load the Excess Phase (.txt) file into rePhase's minimum phase corrections? I only see a way to load the REW AutoEQ and averaged measurement file.

There is an "import REW filter settings (.xml)" pulldown menu option under "Parametric Gain EQ", but I don't see an equivalent for the excess phase import.

I might be missing something.

TIA
The excess phase measurement should be loaded separately, then by using the paragraphic phase EQ and filters linearization the idea is to make the measurement closer to a flat line to remove the excess phase and leave you with an approximate minimum phase result.

The workflow to follow the tutorial should be:
1) Create vector averaged measurement
2) Use FDW and smoothing to avoid overcorrecting later
3) Use REW auto EQ or manual to correct the windowed response to your target
4) Save the filters to file and export the averaged measurement as text
5) Open the measurement in Rephase and import the REW filters from file
6) Generate the correction filter
7) Apply that filter in REW by using A*B function in All SPL tab then reduce level back to original
8) Generate excess phase version in REW
9) Export excess phase measurement as text, import to rephase
10) Correct excess phase back to flat or as much phase EQ as you are willing to use
11) Generate an overall filter in rephase by combining the REW and phase correction

Make more sense?
Old 10th November 2019, 05:10 PM   #2819
emailtim is offline emailtim  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid View Post
The excess phase measurement should be loaded separately, then by using the paragraphic phase EQ and filters linearization the idea is to make the measurement closer to a flat line to remove the excess phase and leave you with an approximate minimum phase result.

The workflow to follow the tutorial should be:
1) Create vector averaged measurement
2) Use FDW and smoothing to avoid overcorrecting later
3) Use REW auto EQ or manual to correct the windowed response to your target
4) Save the filters to file and export the averaged measurement as text
5) Open the measurement in Rephase and import the REW filters from file
6) Generate the correction filter
7) Apply that filter in REW by using A*B function in All SPL tab then reduce level back to original
8) Generate excess phase version in REW
9) Export excess phase measurement as text, import to rephase
10) Correct excess phase back to flat or as much phase EQ as you are willing to use
11) Generate an overall filter in rephase by combining the REW and phase correction

Make more sense?
Thanks Fluid.

I thought the EXCESS PHASE file was the correction (analogous to the AutoEQ file), not a template guide for manual correction.

The PDF in step 4 indicates loading the averaged file again which threw me off.
"4) ... Once you have finalized the phase correction, you can import the initial averaged measurement in rePhase and apply the REW filters. ..."
Old 11th November 2019, 03:58 AM   #2820
Oabeieo is offline Oabeieo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Question on linearization

So I have a question on linearization

I have a sub that has a LR4@80hz

My sub is QTC.83 and a f3 of 45hz (sealed obviously)

(18” sundown SA-18)

The box linearization looks a lot like the filter linearization, they are very close as far as shape in rephase

Can I just do the box linearization and get the filter linearization simultaneously with one go at it OR do I need to do both linearizations

I listen to both and both sound good.

What is proper in this scenario? As one is a box linearization and one is a filter , does that change anything or do they both need to be accounted for separately,

Thanks in advance:-)

Last edited by Oabeieo; 11th November 2019 at 04:02 AM.

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering toolHide this!Advertise here!