Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2019, 05:06 PM   #2701
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

When can we have automated eq to target curve? With customization amount of eq points? Automated phase eq to target curve? I'd use dirac live but I don't think it forces you to take measurements a certain way, when I want to take measures my own way.
Old 13th April 2019, 06:34 PM   #2702
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

There is no plan for auto EQ, but you can import auto EQs generated with REW
Old 13th April 2019, 07:00 PM   #2703
nc535 is offline nc535
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
I see that REW EQ has a rephase option and there is an "import REW filter settings" option under "tools" on the rephase home screen.

Can somebody help with the rephase export settings for targetting JRiver's convolver?

Thanks!
Old 13th April 2019, 09:02 PM   #2704
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc535 View Post
...Can somebody help with the rephase export settings for targetting JRiver's convolver?...
About format all of them in red below should work, in past using the 32bit JRiver version myself used 32 bits IEEE and after they released 64bit JRiver version i started use 64bit IEEE, but again all of the red ones would probably work inside their 64bit engine. Think all the other settings should more or less say itself, but can recommend if lag is no problem that huge taps and FFT lenghts combined "use exact centering value"/"rectangular" window sounds extra great and natural to my ears, but know not all users can live with huge lag of sound stream.

If JRiver automatic shifts rate (dynamic/bitperfect settings) from track to track one can ignore that and simply point to whatever wav-file with a user set rate and JRiver will resample filter for that single convolution file, but if one wan't correctly dynamic sample rate switching there is guides below:

Convolution - JRiverWiki

Convolution Sample Rate Switching

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool-1000-png
Attached Images
File Type: png 1000.png (48.4 KB, 590 views)
Old 14th April 2019, 10:27 PM   #2705
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

POS I sent you a PM
Old 15th May 2019, 07:14 AM   #2706
hugligan is offline hugligan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have a somewhat strange question (as a rePhase rookie). I have been using Equalizer APO to DSP my speakers for some time now, I have only recently started experimenting with REW and rePhase.

However, after auto EQing with REW, I dont like the sound of my system. Generating a theoretically ideal phase-linear crossover at the desired crossover points with rePhase sounds MUCH better as opposed to measuring each driver, linearizing, EQing and then applying the crossover in rePhase.

Im wondering, why that might be? I assume my measurements are garbage and thus the new perfectly linear system is in fact not so linear. It sounds muffled.

Do you have any advice or what is generally the best method to achieve a good crossover?

Assume I have a two-way speaker. Would it be preferably to
1. measure each driver, EQ and linearize in REW, then create a crossover in rePhase for each driver.
2. create an ideal crossover in rePhase. Measure the whole system in room and linearize everything in REW and apply a correction filter in rePhase?

Thanks for this great piece of software!
Old 17th May 2019, 10:37 AM   #2707
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello hugligan

Measurements play the most important part here: the way you take them, analyse them and process/prepare them is very important, especially when using auto EQ.
That is why many automated solution also include a very specific measurement procedure.

There is no ideal electrical crossover when it comes to real world drivers: you need to get a precise idea of the driver's response (in band, but also in the stop bands) to get the acoustical response you are looking for. Getting the acoustical crossovers right for both magnitude and phase is the most important part.

Here is an example the procedure I personally use: rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool
You can of course choose to use automated EQs instead of manual EQs as you see fit.
Old 20th May 2019, 03:09 PM   #2708
hugligan is offline hugligan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hello hugligan

Here is an example the procedure I personally use: rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool
You can of course choose to use automated EQs instead of manual EQs as you see fit.

Hello pos,
thank you very much. Ill continue experimenting trying your method as well.
Old 23rd May 2019, 01:53 AM   #2709
Oabeieo is offline Oabeieo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugligan View Post
I have a somewhat strange question (as a rePhase rookie). I have been using Equalizer APO to DSP my speakers for some time now, I have only recently started experimenting with REW and rePhase.

However, after auto EQing with REW, I dont like the sound of my system. Generating a theoretically ideal phase-linear crossover at the desired crossover points with rePhase sounds MUCH better as opposed to measuring each driver, linearizing, EQing and then applying the crossover in rePhase.

Im wondering, why that might be? I assume my measurements are garbage and thus the new perfectly linear system is in fact not so linear. It sounds muffled.

Do you have any advice or what is generally the best method to achieve a good crossover?

Assume I have a two-way speaker. Would it be preferably to
1. measure each driver, EQ and linearize in REW, then create a crossover in rePhase for each driver.
2. create an ideal crossover in rePhase. Measure the whole system in room and linearize everything in REW and apply a correction filter in rePhase?

Thanks for this great piece of software!

Also remember to use time alignment offsets on each drivers fir.
And add/subtract the correct values .

I like to also when I’m done making crossovers with pos method listen and ajust the delay a few clicks +/- about .02- .5ms each way to listen for a better alignment , sorta depends of the frequency I’m trying to align for delay time (in case my measurements weren’t perfect) sometimes a tiny bit of delay puts it right where it needs to be as a sum. It’s amazing how quickly a bad alignment it becomes as messy. You’ll hear it and than measurements will / should validate

Last edited by Oabeieo; 23rd May 2019 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Misspelled.2
Old 23rd June 2019, 04:47 PM   #2710
justice strike is offline justice strike
diyAudio Member

Hi all, Just started experimenting with REW and Rephase. I'm having some trouble importing the settings from REW to rephase though. Both with the latest version (1.4.3) and the previous version (1.4.2) i get the error message that the measurement file is in the wrong format.

I've just exported it out of REW from the eq window choosing Rephase as formatting style. Does anyone know what is going wrong here?

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering toolHide this!Advertise here!