Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2018, 04:58 PM   #2541
Rajapruk is offline Rajapruk  Sweden
diyAudio Member

"Protect low" and "Protect high" maybe?
Or like "Flat sum - protect low"
(just thinking out loud)
How many forums are we currently talking through pos?! I feel like a stalker.

Last edited by Rajapruk; 15th October 2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 15th October 2018, 05:34 PM   #2542
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

lol
Old 15th October 2018, 07:34 PM   #2543
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

So if I would like to make a filter that is allowed to fall say -1 at 18k but be down at least 150 at 22,05 - what to use?

//
Old 16th October 2018, 01:29 AM   #2544
diyAudio Member

I gave a few examples a few pages ago.
Albrecht windowings are the ones to use.
Old 16th October 2018, 06:33 PM   #2545
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

OK!

//
Old 17th October 2018, 11:19 AM   #2546
Rajapruk is offline Rajapruk  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The "load recent settings"-function is really helpful. I use it all the time. Thanks for implementing that.
The small silly things also matters in the long run
Old 19th October 2018, 10:58 PM   #2547
DickLai is offline DickLai
diyAudio Member

hi,
i have subwoofer measurement using REW, and the phase are not good.

attached please find my measurement, i measure the subwoofer in 7 position, and generated EQ using REW and applied to my 2x4HD.
the chart 10 is the measurement after EQ, and the phase has sharp drop.

so i use rephase to adjust it but i am not sure how to deal with a sharp drop in phase at around 72hz.

could any one please give me some hints?

thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: png 123.png (54.7 KB, 87 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20181014 sub minidsp.zip (965.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 20th October 2018, 12:46 AM   #2548
diyAudio Member

That phase shift at 72Hz corresponds to the magnitude sharp notch at the same frequency. If you could address that notch using minimum-phase EQ then you would take care of the associated phase shift in the same time.
Not sure you can and should address that notch though, and in that case the associated phase shift should also be left alone.
Is that notch still present with a close mic measurement ?
Old 20th October 2018, 01:47 AM   #2549
DickLai is offline DickLai
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
That phase shift at 72Hz corresponds to the magnitude sharp notch at the same frequency. If you could address that notch using minimum-phase EQ then you would take care of the associated phase shift in the same time.
Not sure you can and should address that notch though, and in that case the associated phase shift should also be left alone.
Is that notch still present with a close mic measurement ?
I am not very familiar with the minimum phase EQ, all I use is just the Auto EQ feature by REW. Would you mind tell me how to do a proper minimum phase EQ ?
I measured with mic on my MLP at ear level after EQ, and measured 7positions before EQ, also pos1 is the MLP.

Thanks.
Old 20th October 2018, 04:43 AM   #2550
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickLai View Post
...could any one please give me some hints...
Agree what pos hints and looking your mdat file shows some user stuff had to been understood in the long run, observed is IR (impulse response) which is ground for calculate phase is not alligned on timeline and actual about 11mS too early so for that use "Estimate IR delay" after each measurement or redo it for that mdat session you shared, also IR is inverted as far i can see so either invert it each time a new measurement has been done or go to "Preferences/Soundcard/Input Options" and tick on "Invert" so that any future measurements is inverted automatic. Info tells sweep is 2-200Hz lenght 256k and samplerate is 3000Hz, play around with these settings and mayby go a bit higher and think even a full bandwidth sweep will work, and that 3000Hz sample rate number sounds strange is that because source and output is listed as ASIO4ALL.

When pos talks minimum phase EQ also called IIR filter in digital domain he talks normal EQ as we know from analog gear and all EQ manupulation into REW is of minimum phase type, try understand normal our enviroment and musical instrument sound plus analog recording and reproducing gear is all of minimum phase type where phase pattern is predictable and follow amplitude domain, therefor if we EQ for example any non smooth amplitude error we also automatically repair phase, the confusing thing is probably in digital world we can also use FIR filters that can be either setup to behave as a minimum phase filter correction but it can also manipute phase on its own. In general use always IIR filters for any correction of a band pass and use only pure phase correction to repair if any real summing IIR XO point filters is used in system. In REW you can tell it to "Generate minimum Phase" and that trace show the phase that belongs to the measure amplitude and deviation relative to your measured phase is called excess phase and can for example be because measurments chain units is not calibrated or also in a acoustic domain measurment there can be tons of reflection that all sums or cancel into amplitude domain provided if they in perfect timed phase or some delayed cycles phase at arival time or out of phase. Try open your chart 10 again and "Estimate IR delay" as many times until dialog tells its at zero then "Generate minimum phase" and now see how phase for that measurment should have looked if it was perfect without any excess phase from non calibrated chain units and acoustic reflections. A help for acoustic reflections is adjust the time window especially at these low frq, try set "IR Windows" to FDW (frq dependant window) 6 widths in cycles before doing any EQ should help for filter out some reflections and not overdo EQ.

Other help can be generate textbook target files in Rephase as IR and import to REW so as to have some textbook graphs to look at and learn from, example is below where a band pass BW2 at 20Hz - LR8 at 100Hz was set to replicate something close to your curves.

From over here software the below attached pdf white paper should be good reading for frq as low as these also because frq is so low it should be possible using white papers nearfield method to set a perfect band pass at enclosure location and then via the shared spreadsheet over there called "Baffle Diffraction and Boundary Simulator v1.2" calculate and export a frd file to Rephase to be reverse EQed so that room nasty gain and location problems is corrected for.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1000b.png (297.9 KB, 75 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf White Paper - Accurate In-Room Frequency Response to 10Hz.pdf (754.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by BYRTT; 20th October 2018 at 04:57 AM.

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering toolHide this!Advertise here!