Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2017, 12:53 PM   #2341
3ll3d00d is offline 3ll3d00d  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehansen66 View Post
I use a pro interface although it does not have a mic pre. I have a separate analog pre and notice tenths of a ms shift between measurements when using a loopback timing reference because of the different clocks. This is workable but not entirely accurate.
you need one device to act as the master clock and the other to operate as a slave to that master clock
Old 24th October 2017, 01:19 PM   #2342
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
you need one device to act as the master clock and the other to operate as a slave to that master clock
Thanks info, does a PCI interface do that by itself on analog I/O or should/can we use its SPDIF/TOSLINK I/O and use external DAC/ADC units with build in pro terminals for bonding word clock.
Old 24th October 2017, 02:04 PM   #2343
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterPPK View Post
After installing the OpenDRC and checking the latency from our Antelope Orion 32 Spdif -> OpenDRC we measured 15ms latency after factory reset. With a FIR filter loaded it was 40ms. For reference we measured a DCX2496 with 100% processor load and it had a latency of 1,5ms.
15ms is too much for our application. With 40ms it's impossible to directly monitor and play piano or guitar. I'm returning the unit.
15ms seems pretty high as a base delay, even at 48kHz
Are you sure this was correctly measured, with an identical configuration as the DCX2496?
You should probably contact miniDSP support on their dedicated forum and see what they have to say about this.
Old 24th October 2017, 02:19 PM   #2344
3ll3d00d is offline 3ll3d00d  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRTT View Post
Thanks info, does a PCI interface do that by itself on analog I/O or should/can we use its SPDIF/TOSLINK I/O and use external DAC/ADC units with build in pro terminals for bonding word clock.
I don't believe PCI interface can do this, sdpif (or adat/toslink) is one commonly available way to sync clocks. Some devices also have BNC connectors for this job.
Old 25th October 2017, 09:57 AM   #2345
Rokytheman is offline Rokytheman  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
At one point I tried to keep the first post up to date, but I lost track of it
I also try to keep the sourceforge project page up to date with links and tutorial.

Please feel free to gather links and ressources here and I will update these two pages!
Cool Not sure If Im up to the task gathering all ressources - But Im quite sure it would be helpful for many.
Old 25th October 2017, 09:03 PM   #2346
Rajapruk is offline Rajapruk  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Just a thought. Phase-linearization could possibly be very beneficial for HT multi-channel setups, I think, where different model of speakers are used.

The multi-channel mix kind of relies on same phase all-around, I think.
Anyone tried it?
Maybe in an HT-scenario it makes sense to EQ all speaker-phases completely flat?

Maybe this is what automatic home-theater room-corrections like Dirac, Trinnov, etc, tries to do?

Last edited by Rajapruk; 25th October 2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 25th October 2017, 10:49 PM   #2347
diyAudio Member

Agreed, phase linearization can relaxe the need for three identical front speakers.
In this scenario phase matching is probably more important than magnitude matching.
Old 28th October 2017, 07:47 AM   #2348
esl 63 is offline esl 63
diyAudio Member

Dirac does exactly that. And for some other automotive customers they have an even more advanced algorithm called "Dirac Unison" that really take the concept to the edge.
19 drivers and 12 active channels with itīs own DSP and power amplifier. The 12 channels is measured up individually in frequency and in time domain. But it doesnt end there.. the reverberation for each channel is measured. By processing you can control the reverberation by using all 12 channels to cancel out some sound in the later reverberation situation... i guess you understand what i try to say.. Maybe that is a good idea to develop in rephase as well? or maybe that option already exist?

Anyway... the result is quite amazing. Since you have total control of the reverberation field you can "record" reverberation pattern from other environments so the DSP mimics different concert halls as well.
Old 28th October 2017, 08:44 AM   #2349
Rajapruk is offline Rajapruk  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Something like the CABS / Double bass array concept but in a car, and the resulting reverberation is variable. Cool

This dsp-steered reverberation, and dsp-steered directivit like B&O Beolab, is very cool concepts to me

Esl 63, I hope you can let me in to that car lab with dirac unison someday. It’s on my way home from work It’s in an XC90 I guess. Is it on the market yet?

Btw, does the electrification of the cars affect the sound?! Better SNR while driving,
I guess.

Active noise-reduction must be possible as well in car? Like your old ”active bass trap”?

Last edited by Rajapruk; 28th October 2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 28th October 2017, 09:39 AM   #2350
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esl 63 View Post
By processing you can control the reverberation by using all 12 channels to cancel out some sound in the later reverberation situation... i guess you understand what i try to say.. Maybe that is a good idea to develop in rephase as well? or maybe that option already exist?
You mean addressing the reverberation field with an additional delayed filter?
I don't think one can (should) really try to cancel out reflection, but the global reverberation field and power response tonal balance could probably be somewhat corrected, to an extend...

rePhase is more focused toward correcting the source/speaker itself and not the room, as I feel these kind of things are better addressed using passive/acoustical room correction and good speaker directivity behavior, but this would sure be an interesting feature to add...

Last edited by pos; 28th October 2017 at 09:44 AM.

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering toolHide this!Advertise here!