Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool
rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2017, 04:20 PM   #1671
1201 is offline 1201  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
If you are running a more substantial computer with plenty of processing power would there be problem running both an audio box as you all are talking about and still being able to have a working linux computer running Suse linux? Is the fact that you are doing convolution and such require the complete cpu's attention or is it more of noise or something else which would make you need a separate small dedicated linux box? Is it just to have a separate audio system standalone that is driving this way of doing things?
the problem i found with not using a dedicated setup is achieving lowest latency.

if you are not using it for video then you dont have to use partitions in brutefir and you can get by but when you are using many partitions for the absolute lowest latency possible, anytime you start another program brutefir will overrun and abort.

thats why I use a dedicated pc
Old 28th January 2017, 04:26 PM   #1672
krivium is offline krivium  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
BLESS YOU !!!!
+1! Thank you 1201.
Old 28th January 2017, 06:17 PM   #1673
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark100 View Post
...My take about that is we really want the eq split into both linear and minimum phase components...if we can discern which individual eq's go into which bin.
Eqs that are for correcting speaker response should go in the minimum phase bin, because those filters will address both magnitude and phase correctly. Eq's that are addressing room response should go in the linear-phase bin because room response isn't min phase. That's just my understanding, maybe folks will correct or amplify it. The REW section on min phase is pretty helful here IMO.

Again, thanks a bunch for your generousity !
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1201 View Post
I believe( and I may be wrong) that if you take a flat phase response and perform any IRR eq, you will twist the resulting phase and it will no longer be non flat. at least that is what rephase shows when I import a measurment without any phase data. Any IIR modifications also twist the phase.

maybe POS can give some input ...
My take about it is room is IRR correctable as long as first reflection arrives direct (remember wesayso said to get good correction results at listening position we should work on get a clean IR there in have later reflections down or lower than -20dB point). Also think about a tweeter that in datasheet is flat down to say 1kHz is a IRR device but if we measure it with out any baffle (direct reflection) it will fall off depending own diameters direct reflection in area say 2-3kHz. Below Jeff Bagby spreadsheet show baffle and room (boundary reinforcement/pressurization gain) dependencies and think if those first reflections arrive direct in time we can export frd file taken from red curve and sum it to raw speaker drivers performance and correct rest of red curves peaks and dips with IRR EQ. Problem is modes from spreadsheet vary with position therefor 2 inch round overs or more plus smooth baffle transitions pays back, the vary with position thing plus real world living room furniture is probably why room response is told as non minimum phase, also as example in second spreadsheet below where same speaker now has position with same distance to three boundary gives so deep a resonance its seems impossible to have the IRR dynamic range needed. So if room boundary reinforcement plus pressurization gain gets to listening position as direct reflection and is IRR EQ corrected to sum flat with woofers we should get natural good band pass relative flat phase down in low frq area, and use FIR to correct XO and other of systems excess phase.
Attached Images
File Type: png 3.PNG (291.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: png 4.PNG (282.5 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by BYRTT; 28th January 2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 28th January 2017, 06:24 PM   #1674
mark100 is online now mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
If you are running a more substantial computer with plenty of processing power would there be problem running both an audio box as you all are talking about and still being able to have a working linux computer running Suse linux? Is the fact that you are doing convolution and such require the complete cpu's attention or is it more of noise or something else which would make you need a separate small dedicated linux box? Is it just to have a separate audio system standalone that is driving this way of doing things?
For me, it's needing a small form, headless box, that can be mounted in a traditional amplifier rack. I use my system both indoors as hi-fi, and outside for party / DJ type use.
The miniDSP rack pictured below works great. But it allows a max 6144 taps on the sub channel, which is ok, but I wish I had more to work with. The linux box would allow that. (or the JR ID if input could be made to flow through it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rack 2 r.jpg (272.7 KB, 166 views)
Old 28th January 2017, 06:38 PM   #1675
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Mark, couldn't you just build the needed and optimised correction on a Windows machine with JRiver's WMD driver and copy that processing chain to the end solution (the JR ID). That would be a simple and quick solution if you ask me. Provided the JRiver on the ID has all of the processing DSP of the regular version.
Old 28th January 2017, 07:09 PM   #1676
diyAudio Member

Ronald, I don't think I'm following what you're saying...

By processing chain, do you mean further processing in addition to ID's convolution (which is working well) ?

I'm still not seeing any way to get external media to flow through the ID.

Picture someone at a party wanting me to plug in their phone and play something from it..
If you're showing me how to do that, sorry I'm just not getting it ...unless maybe you mean build a small form windows box to replace the ID? Or stream from a 2nd windows PC using WDM?
Old 28th January 2017, 07:19 PM   #1677
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

So the input is the only thing holding you back. I'd figure any other Windows PC with JRiver on it should be able to route it's sound to the ID. At least, that's what I expect. And with that working you should be able to use that PC's input either trough the WMD driver or using the Open Live option.
At least I expect that to work, it worked when I used a separate DVD player (long ago) that had DLNA capability. I could run trough the DVD player to my TV with JRiver.
I dropped that route long ago but remember it working like that. I'd expect their own ID should be able to do something similar.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DL...rs_and_Servers

Last edited by wesayso; 28th January 2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 28th January 2017, 07:33 PM   #1678
diyAudio Member

Yes, input is the only issue... and I'm with you now. I figure what you suggest will probably work inside, and was on the path of trying that until my focus switched to a linux box.

But trying to use a win PC to flow input to the ID is still mostly for curiosity's sake...I just can't see it working outdoors.
Old 28th January 2017, 07:51 PM   #1679
3ll3d00d is offline 3ll3d00d  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

you could easily build something in shallow 2U rack case (one random example https://www.xcase.co.uk/collections/...um-front-panel) that will be more than capable of doing the job. Get a decent matx mobo that has all the connectivity you need onboard and has an m2 slot, add a CPU & an m2 drive & some fans and away you go.
Old 29th January 2017, 08:11 AM   #1680
Oabeieo is offline Oabeieo  United States
diyAudio Member

Great reading. I'm 100% up to date I read this entire thread. Wow what a ride

So, I got quite a bit from it all. I have a sorta simple question for y'all ; so if a phase measurement goes down and is falling (like in REW) , is that because frequency increases per second?

I mean, if frequency is rising (the bottom bar on graph) and phase is time, (side bars) than as more and more cycles take place in every second the length of time gets smaller between cycles. And that's the scale phase is displayed on rew injust plain phase so that's why it shows it's falling? I'm trying to grasp the relationship between time and frequency on graphs. More than just reading the graphs but understanding what's happening to the loudspeaker and room rather than how "good" a graph may appear.

Any reading or links ?

Thanks

Last edited by Oabeieo; 29th January 2017 at 08:15 AM.

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering toolHide this!Advertise here!