rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool

Phase Presets Tip

Please disregard if this has been discussed before.

I stumbled on a convenient way to adjust phase.

Reserve 4 banks for phase.

• Preset the 1st bank for "flat 2/3 oct".
  • Preset the 2nd bank for "flat 1/3 oct low freq"
  • Preset the 3rd bank for "flat 1/3 oct mid freq"
  • Preset the 4th bank for "flat 1/3 oct high freq"

Use the 1st bank to enter course adjustments.

Use banks [2-4] to layer fine adjustments on top of the course adjustments.

Last edited:
Phase Offset

Hello,

If I were to equalize all drivers seperately, on seperate channels with seperate impulse response convolutions, how would I add a phase offset of +360° to the tweeters to compensate for the lagging behind of the woofers due to the LR4 crossover?
From what I understand the "Filters Linearization" tab is of no use here, because im using seperate channels.

Thank in advance you for your help.

Last edited:
Good to know, thanks!
I think I know what happened... you probably grabbed the URL after you clicked through your target link. This is the URL I get after I click my link:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mul...ion-eq-fir-filtering-tool-14.html#post4322701

Same format as your link, which is different from the page-agnostic link that I directly captured from the #xxx link in the top-right of the post:

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool

It makes a difference, apparently. :)

Hi,

I'm trying to use Re-Phase to build a linear phase 2 way speaker. First time I've used it.

It seems to be working well, except that when I confirm the response with the linear phase high-pass it bottoms out at about -30dB.

Any tips on what is happening here? Re-phase simulation doesn't look like that.

I tried 2000 and 8000 taps. Same result. If I use minimum phase high pass it doesn't do this.

eXZj9pe.png

eqWD3BX.png

6Y59U7P.png

Exactly the same setup, just changed the coefficients table in the DSP. The minimum phase version was 2000 taps. I tried linear phase with 2000 and 8000 taps.

Should I generate separate coefficient tables for the minimum phase components of the correction such as parametric EQ and another for the linear phase crossover filter?

It looks to me as though whatever type of filter is used in Re-Phase it is actually exporting an FIR filter? I mean minimum-phase filters in Re-Phase are actually FIR approximations of minimum-phase filters, is that right? I thought 'true' minimum-phase filters have a fixed number of coefficiants depending on the filter order, don't they?

I hope my question makes sense. In Sigma Studio I can choose either an FIR or IIR filter block and then load the coefficients. I was using the FIR filter block for both of these examples since they both looked like FIR filters with 2000 coefficients.

Last edited:
My guess is that ARTA is not considering the whole impulse when calculating the frequency response, and is cropping too much signal before the impulse peak, expecting a minimum-phase behavior.

Here is an example with HOLM, lower part showing the windows used:

attachment.php

See if you can change the measurement window in ARTA.

Should I generate separate coefficient tables for the minimum phase components of the correction such as parametric EQ and another for the linear phase crossover filter?
There is no need to do that.

It looks to me as though whatever type of filter is used in Re-Phase it is actually exporting an FIR filter? I mean minimum-phase filters in Re-Phase are actually FIR approximations of minimum-phase filters, is that right? I thought 'true' minimum-phase filters have a fixed number of coefficiants depending on the filter order, don't they?
rePhase is only generating FIRs indeed, suitable for a convolution engine.
There is no such thing as IIR in real life after all: you can only measuring a FIR ;)

Attachments

• a (2).png
    a (2).png
    12 KB · Views: 779
Last edited:
RePhase working on Mac

I'm trying to get RePhase to run on a Mac using Crossover. Sadly it does not want to start yet. It gives me exit code 9, which sounds quite specific. I count not find any documentation on this. Anyone an idea what it indicates?

I just used rePhase 1.3.0 on my 2012 Mac mini running Mac OS 10.13.6 using Wine 3-18. I generated some linear phase LR8 crossover filters, something I'd planned to do for 33 years, finally got around to it today.

It generates a few pages of error messages on startup in the Wine shell window, but seems to run OK, mostly, I wouldn't keep it running for days because I've had some weird things happen recently, but maybe nothing to do with Wine and rePhase.

I am so happy to use this fine and very flexible program, and on my Mac too.