Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2016, 09:49 PM   #1351
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissBear View Post
Hi Pos,

Thank you so much for your continued efforts and for this wonderful piece of software. Thank you to John too for his implementation of the interface of REW with rePhase.

Great job, wonderful collaboration
Agree much and also thanks your skills and sharings, at same hope its alright remind we can support other way if any of us non know how to code have some more or less coins left then both Rephase and REW have "Donate" buttons.
Old 8th December 2016, 09:53 PM   #1352
SwissBear is offline SwissBear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRTT View Post
Agree much and also thanks your skills and sharings, at same hope its alright remind we can support other way if any of us non know how to code have some more or less coins left then both Rephase and REW have "Donate" buttons.
+100
Old 9th December 2016, 06:47 AM   #1353
skyunlimited is offline skyunlimited  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello Pos, thanks for this really excellent piece of Software, coming to us as a pre Christmas Gift.

reGards
Old 9th December 2016, 08:19 PM   #1354
Rokytheman is offline Rokytheman  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
Hi,

What you are looking for is file association, the fact that windows can learn what program to start when you click a given file by looking at its extension.
The way this mechanism is handled has evolved in recent version of windows.

rePhase is just an executable file, and does not come with an installer that takes care of putting shortcuts in the start menu, or doing file association.

So this file association process, if needed/wanted, has to be done by the user. Right-clicking on a rephase settings file and then choosing the "open with" entry will let you choose an executable (you will have to actually browse to the exec file), and then you should be able to make it permanent (at least until next version, or until you move it, or?) by checking a button.
Thanks for your answer. I forgot to answer back.

I did try that, but somehow, even when I browse to the exec file, windows will not let me open it using Rephase. It might be a specific problem with my Windows.. ?
For now I just use the drag and drop method

Regards
Old 10th December 2016, 10:56 AM   #1355
thierry38 is offline thierry38  France
diyAudio Member

Great job again from tireless guys.

Seems to have problem to close rePhase 1.2.0 (win10).
need to force shutdown with the task manager.

edit:solved.

Last edited by thierry38; 10th December 2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10th December 2016, 11:11 AM   #1356
Acoustic Engineer is offline Acoustic Engineer
diyAudio Member

Hello!

First of all I would like to say a big thank you for this great tool.
For my current project I would like to use a lowpass filter at 22 kHz to prevent that the 28 kHz resonance of the tweeter modulates into the lower frequencies and increases multisine distortion.
For this I plan to create an linear phase FIR filter with rePhase but I am not sure, how steep this can be without causing any problems. I created this filter with 400 taps at 96 kHz and 192 dB / octave.
Can such filters cause any audible problems like pre-ringing or something else? I changed the scaling to 50 kHz and -150dB and the rolloff was totally smooth.

Thank you!

Last edited by Acoustic Engineer; 10th December 2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10th December 2016, 03:27 PM   #1357
Kindhornman is offline Kindhornman  United States
diyAudio Member

Acoustic Engineer, I am no expert on this but from what I remember from Doug Self's active crossover book except for the Butterworth and LR filters I think that all other filter types have some kind of pre or post ringing as a mathematical certainty. The question really becomes is that ringing from one of the alternate math function audible or are these ringing frequencies far enough down in level to be ignored?

My question for you in your particular situation with the driver you are dealing with is even with a fast slope at 28Khz what is the attenuation at 20Khz or even at 14Khz with the given slope you have chosen? It takes a pretty high slope to keep any harmonics from a really badly behaving device out of the pass band of the device, at the same time you have to look at what is exciting that high frequency breakup mode, or is it really only a problem when you are measuring with a wide bandwidth that is greater than our normal listening acuity? An input filter on many amps and other devices would seem to limit the possibility of exciting that 28Khz mode, besides the fact that most music has little to no information in that range.
Old 10th December 2016, 04:24 PM   #1358
mitchba is offline mitchba  Canada
diyAudio Member

Similar to SwissBear, I tried a number of experiments with preringing and unable to hear it.

This is a good article on ringing: Archimago's Musings: MUSINGS: Digital Interpolation Filters and Ringing (plus other Nyquist discussions and "proof" of High-Resolution Audio audibility)

Kind regards, Mitch
Old 10th December 2016, 05:03 PM   #1359
SwissBear is offline SwissBear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchba View Post
Similar to SwissBear, I tried a number of experiments with preringing and unable to hear it.

This is a good article on ringing: Archimago's Musings: MUSINGS: Digital Interpolation Filters and Ringing (plus other Nyquist discussions and "proof" of High-Resolution Audio audibility)

Kind regards, Mitch
Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the link.

BTW your book is awesome. Very useful to understand how to use rePhase/REW as well

Kind regards,
Pierre
Old 10th December 2016, 06:56 PM   #1360
mitchba is offline mitchba  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissBear View Post
Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the link.

BTW your book is awesome. Very useful to understand how to use rePhase/REW as well

Kind regards,
Pierre
Hi Pierre,

I am glad you found the eBook useful. Like you say, while I use Acourate, the principles can be applied using most DSP software.

Interested folks can browse the Table of Contents and read the first couple of chapters by clicking on the link in my sig below and then clicking on Look Inside.

Kind regards, Mitch

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering toolHide this!Advertise here!